• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Homemade Lime Vinegar

I'm one of the (very) few around here that likes vinegar and vinegar based sauces.  I've played around with a lot of different vinegars in hot sauce, but haven't heard of lime vinegar until I ran across this article.  Most of my sauces have salt and lime juice, so using a lime vinegar sounds pretty interesting. 

http://zesterdaily.com/recipe/pucker-up-for-lime-vinegar-recipe/

I'll post pictures of the vinegar and eventually the hot sauce recipe in this thread.

I'd say over 90% of hot sauces have vinegar, it gives hot sauce the characteristic tang, and most people DO like it in there, they just don't like the vinegary sauces, where you can taste the vinegar on its own.

I love it in hot sauce.

Also one of the worst hot sauces I have had tasted like straight malt vinegar with a bit of pepper flavor. It was horrid.

So... I don't think by any means you are in the minority liking vinegar in hot sauce. It just has to be balanced.

PS. I like my wing sauces super tangy and like the hot vinegar smell of a plate of wings. :D

turbo said:
I'm one of the (very) few around here that likes vinegar and vinegar based sauces.  I've played around with a lot of different vinegars in hot sauce, but haven't heard of lime vinegar until I ran across this article.  Most of my sauces have salt and lime juice, so using a lime vinegar sounds pretty interesting. 

http://zesterdaily.com/recipe/pucker-up-for-lime-vinegar-recipe/

I'll post pictures of the vinegar and eventually the hot sauce recipe in this thread.

I'd like to try this.  It seems interesting in that it is actually vinegar made from limes and not lime infused vinegar.  

foodproductlaunch said:
It seems interesting in that it is actually vinegar made from limes and not lime infused vinegar.  

Vinegars are made from all sorts of things; apple cider, dates, honey, coconut, rice wine, red wine, beer (malt vinegar), corn, cane... if the fermentation process is followed through to completion all the sugars convert, so nothing is sweet. But you retain the properties of what was used.

Sounds good for Thai cooking!

I did a bunch of reading this morning on homemade vinegars.  The most common method is to take a slimy bacterial start, called "Mother of Vinegar" and put it in something alcoholic (beer, wine, sherry) to kick off a second round of fermentation.  After things settle down you have vinegar.  It actually sounds pretty fun and interesting.  Might give it a try this summer (my wife is gonna hate me for this one).  I actually LOVE malt vinegar, and had no idea it was made from beer.  Though if you think about the name it kind'a makes sense.

Looking at the lime vinegar recipe, I'd say its more aptly named pickled lime juice than lime vinegar, as its just salt and lime juice and no fermentation goes on.  But either way, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.  I'm planning on using it as acidic flavoring for a hot sauce (recipe to be determined depending on how it tastes), and as a cocktail mix-in.  For the cocktail, I'm leaning to something gin based, yet fairly sweet.  Not sure yet.

Anyway here it is, ready to sit around for 6-8 weeks.  Looks pretty much like a jar of lime juice  ;)

zmd3rd.jpg

howardsnm1 said:
I have been doing flavored vinegars for years.. in fact my relatives ask for it for their xmas presents every year

Howard, do you infuse your vinegars, or do you actually "brew" your own?  Making homemade vinegar from scratch actually sounds really interesting.  Thinking about malt vinegar from a dark rich IPA (we have a bunch of those up here in Wa) and another from a rosé wine so its a bit sweeter and less bitter than a red wine.

I wonder if you could get some Mother from Bragg's vinegar and use that to start the lime juice and leave out the salt?

Using it for Thai cooking sounds excellent!

just found this link
Most recipes say to use some kind of alcohol (2 cup) and 1 cup water to starts.  I bet it would work to use a white wine and 1 c lime juice to get it started. 

You might Ann. Let it settle and the pull some off the bottom with a straw.

I was wondering what a Lacto infusion would do

Thanks for sharing turbo, looks really cool and I'd like to at with it some.

I bought a bottle of Bragg's just to start vinegars.  I have a jar on the kitchen island now that I started a few days ago.  Soon, my wife will be protesting the smell and it will be relocated to the basement.

No sir, just lime juice and salt as the recipe said, well Key Lime juice and pure Sea Salt. but THIS:

DE43D448-7073-426E-84E9-58DE3CBF4C05_zpso3rm6sgm.jpg

11E0D6EB-5EC9-4C67-B9DE-1C4262CDD0D2_zpsqka50qdr.jpg

416014CE-75E5-456D-AB64-62ECE390C25B_zpslq0x8yf5.jpg

It's just Reposado Tequila, Key Lime Juice and a little starter from a bottle of Bragg's ACV with Mother and nothing more.

Alcohol from the tequila, lime juice, starter
-or-
lime juice and salt?

RM, I'm confused by your last post.  But that's not hard to do~~~ :lol: 

:think:

My Lady, I had to read that link from your last post 3 or 3 times, might have been the 3 or 4 shots of Taquila, IDK :).

But a little Braggs to provide some starter and the rest , well it's the rest :(

:D

Cross-posting?  Were the pics in there?  I didn't see them, hence the ????? post.  I got it now though~  :lol:

edit-RM, this is a little off-topic, but I just looked at the first post in Fermenting 101 and I don't see where temperature (as in where and how warm to keep the jar while fermenting) is addressed.  I think it's discussed later in the thread, but it's not in the OP. 

It's been 3 days and I can tell a difference in the smell and the look of the Tequila Lime Vinegar but not really in the Lime Vinegar yet

Here's a pic of them

59DD18EE-6DCD-458C-8061-BC2A767E22FC_zpsx44xjesk.jpg

On the far left is some home made bacon vodka, then the Lime Vinegar and the Tequila Lime. Still very early in the process with 6 weeks total to go. I'll try to post weekly follow up each Wednesday as they do their thing and a new Pic.

Cheers

So a week into this and mine looks about the same, but maybe a bit hazier.  The smell is really nice though.  Its nice and limy but soft and smooth, not harsh like fresh lime juice can sometimes be.  I figure I'll check every week.

Back