• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Homemade worm farm

The benefits of worm farms are 1 for there castings and 2 for the ability to "brew" worm tea. The reason why it's called worm tea is because you need to brew it in order for the beneficial microbes to grow and multiply. Once they have "brewed" for a day or so you have essentially grown a few hundred thousand colonies into a few hundred million. Leachate is waste / excrement and depending how concentrated the leachate is you could end up killing your plant. What most growers don't understand is that the waste is not tea and you will often read that mistake. However uneducated growers will use that waste and believe there is no harm mainly because it is either not concentrated enough for to harm the plant immediately or 2 their farm is somewhat inhert and really doesn't generate enough waste from the few worms to cause any problems. However if you have a thriving 7 tier farm that has been up for a few years like I do you will see a big difference in the color of the leachate as it will be dark brown or almost black indicating the high toxic levels.

Do i actually have to "brew" it with like a bubbler and stuff? Or can i just dilute it to about a cup of juice to a gallon of water

The benefits of worm farms are 1 for there castings and 2 for the ability to "brew" worm tea. The reason why it's called worm tea is because you need to brew it in order for the beneficial microbes to grow and multiply. Once they have "brewed" for a day or so you have essentially grown a few hundred thousand colonies into a few hundred million. Leachate is waste / excrement and depending how concentrated the leachate is you could end up killing your plant. What most growers don't understand is that the waste is not tea and you will often read that mistake. However uneducated growers will use that waste and believe there is no harm mainly because it is either not concentrated enough for to harm the plant immediately or 2 their farm is somewhat inhert and really doesn't generate enough waste from the few worms to cause any problems. However if you have a thriving 7 tier farm that has been up for a few years like I do you will see a big difference in the color of the leachate as it will be dark brown or almost black indicating the high toxic levels.

The only reason you will/should get anything like "leachate" (aka anaerobic worm tea) is because the worm farm is not constructed or working properly which is causing this to happen (basically not enough oxygen in the system). As Nova said anything that stinks is not right (ie biff it). A worm farm in a healthy state and working properly will have perfectly healthy worm 'JIZZ' to use on your plants at the correct dilution and have basically no smell.

Do i actually have to "brew" it with like a bubbler and stuff? Or can i just dilute it to about a cup of juice to a gallon of water

You can let it soak for a few days, or speed up the process to just a day via aeration. Aeration really helps to get the most out of your tea.

You can let it soak for a few days, or speed up the process to just a day via aeration. Aeration really helps to get the most out of your tea.

I'll probably just have it sitting in the juice bin for a while until i get enough to make a gallon (im useing a cup of juice to a gallon of water)

Yes you should aerate it(castings) to get rid of the anaerobic bacteria while breeding beneficial aerobic bacteria

I don't use the Jizz, so I can't really comment
I brew castings just like compost tea and this is where you get rid of the anaerobic bacteria while breeding beneficial aerobic bacteria

So ive had my bin setting for about a week without worm(as i heard it helps) and i went to move it into my house because it was getting to hot in my greenhouse(up to 95F) and i looked inside and the plants from last year that i put in are all very moldy. I looked through to see if the food scraps were the same but couldnt find them( didnt really dig that deep) is this mold ok to put the worms into? Or is this not normal. Could it be cause it was getting so hot?
I went ahead and put it back outside but not in the geeenhouse

I did some research and found that mold is ok if its just from letting the food sit. But if you have worms in there and there is mold its overfeeding which is bad

And i dont believe the worms will crawl out

I am having some worms fall into the bottom bin where the juice is supposed to be collected. Is anyone having that problem? How do you correct it?

how long would say 1000 worms take to fill an 18 gal tote of worm castings? They say that the worms should triple like in 3 months.

any updates on the worm farm?

Seems to be doing good. Dont know how much they have eaten but havent had to add really any extra food. Though it seems like there are alot of other bugs than worms. And worms possibly might of had some babies, saw a few tiny worms crawling about

Back