• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hope the power dosen't go out

I know, I'm looking at the same thing. The southern part of the state is suppose to get more of the ice at least. Where are you at? Cabool here.

They are talking about inches of ice here between tonight and Wednesday afternoon. Ugh. Will this winter ever end? Still two months to go. So much for La Nina.

We have a little ice now. But tomorrow is going to be a blizzard with 20-40 mph winds and snow at 2-4 inches an hour at times

If you can afford it see about a small deisel gen. They idle at a lower speed and sip fuel.

The new smart propane ones are nice as well.

I bought a gas one on sale 3 yrs ago cause I could afford it and had a storm coming... Wish I had looked a bit more and spent $200-$300 more for either a deisel, smart propane or one of the HE Honda's that are chainable.

Cramer and JohnJb if you need some plants let me know. I think I'm about 3 to 5 hours from either of you. We are expecting 1/2" of ice then 4" to 12" snow. Barring a mechanical failure my plants should survive and I have plenty.

Thanks alot Tonly that's awesome of ya, I'll keep it in mind. Also, 74 I have alot of seeds of many varieties if you need them. Hopefully we won't have an issue where we lose them, but it's looking like a pretty nasty storm all across the midwest. They are calling for 10-15" of snow and 3/4 to 1.5 inches of ice here. That blows!!! Good luck everyone and if you need me I'll be around here.

They are talking about inches of ice here between tonight and Wednesday afternoon. Ugh. Will this winter ever end? Still two months to go. So much for La Nina.

Thats Global Warming, doh! Climate Change, doh! The big Freeze, doh! what ever ya call it, for ya!!!
Someone is telling porkie pies to the people. It wouldnt be the IPCC because they are an officially appointed body, right.
Yeah Right.

If you have access to the materials and a place to do it in a shed or something. Build a compost heap and sit your seedlings on top of it. The heat generated will keep them alive for a couple of weeks at least and if the cold lasts longer than that turn the heap and add some more manure and straw and it will go again. Aerobic microbes in compost heaps breed up until it hits approx 60C then they die off and then commence breeding again once it has cooled down sufficiently. The act of eating, digesting and multiplying creates heat. If you put a chimney in that supplies fresh o2 and cooler air it helps to keep the heap active but relatively stable temp wise.
It used to be common practice to build cold frames above compost heaps to help germinate and grow vegies ready to plant out in spring.

You could utilize that and or collect more and keep the ingredients separate until a couple of days before you need it, then mix it up and sit back and wait for the heat. Add poo to that mix and you would get great compost to put on you plants in spring.

If the power goes out, I'm just bringing in from the garage and placing them in the deepest corner of my basement. Certainly it will be above freezing in there.

Have about 4 inches so far. Electricity is good. Not much ice on the trees that I can see. So unless someone hits a pole, I think we'll be fine.

just starting in CT expecting 4-8" today then an additional 5" tonight before turning to sleet, freezing rain mixed with snow when all done and said close to 15" - My kids will be going to school till August. Im with Jay , Im getting sick of it now. I have nowhere left to put it all

About 1.5 to 2" of mostly sleet with some snow so far. We set record high temps on Saturday in the low 70's. It's looking like we'll set record lows well below 0F in the next couple of days. Both extremes in less than a week.
Just heard on the radio this is a 31 state Winter storm/blizzard. New Mexico to Maine.

Back