Horn worm

so I went on vacation and had my sister-in-law water my baby when I got home I had stick plants these suckers15+ ate ALL the leaves off my moruga,wht bullet, Trinidad scorpion, yellow brain strain, Caribbean red .....my question is will I get new growth or is that a wrap for my plants?

Dammit!

I thought she was supposed to watch the plants!?

You will hopefully be Ok, but do you have any pics? Depends on just how much is gone.

You two have had bad luck letting the women around your plants.

After reading your posts, that wont be happening around here.

PepperDaddler said:
Dammit!

I thought she was supposed to watch the plants!?

You will hopefully be Ok, but do you have any pics? Depends on just how much is gone.
Yah she was but shes one of those put gas in a car and go kinda girls ...lol I had 3 of them a while back and now that I think if it I was warned that there may be others but yeh ill post some pics in a minute let me get out there man I bummed?
2013-07-07_17-09-30_424.jpg

This is whats left moruga in the far back and the Trinidad scorpion
And yellow brain strain up front and wht bullwt in the back
2013-07-07_17-08-24_465.jpg

PepperDaddler said:
Those were some happy worms while you were gone. They had a party.
yeah they did those suckers are bird food now had a ghost that had frost damage looked as if it was a goner but it pulled threw and is doing well so hoping these do the same

You should get new grown from some or all the nodes left. Your plants just look like over-winters now  ;)

We have hornwoms galore out here and I pick little ones off my plants 3 days out of ever 6. 

I went away for a week on business when all my seedlings were just into their second set of leaves and asked my Wife to look after them. Came back and 40% of them were dead. It was hard to know what to say at the time. 

Nigel said:
You should get new grown from some or all the nodes left. Your plants just look like over-winters now  ;)

We have hornwoms galore out here and I pick little ones off my plants 3 days out of ever 6. 

I went away for a week on business when all my seedlings were just into their second set of leaves and asked my Wife to look after them. Came back and 40% of them were dead. It was hard to know what to say at the time. 

She probably got into your superhot stash and was stoned on endorphins all week!

I found a hornworm on one of my tomato plants two years ago.  I had never seen them before and had to look it up to ID it.  It was dispatched and then I found another on the same plant the next day.  My 19 yo daughter was fascinated with it so we put it in a Tupperware container and fed it tomato leaves thinking we might be able to watch it undergo metamorphosis.

There is a species of parasitic wasp that lays it eggs on hornworms.  A few days into captivity the worm was suddenly covered with several dozen 1/4" long wasp larva.  It was quite interesting to see.  The worm, though lethargic by this point, was released into some weeds to allow the wasps to mature and hopefully kill many more hornworms.

It appears I got the jump on my first hornworm of the season; I went to check the ripening pods on the big Fatalii plant, and there on a leaf was one of those distinctive square poops.  So I did a close inspection and found the little bastidge hiding on a low stem, then launched it into the middle distance where the nearest plants are oleanders.  (Maybe they kill it, maybe it kills them, and either way I come out ahead.)

As far as I could tell there was just the one, and it hadn't done anything more than chomp a couple of leaves.  I'm hoping this is a good omen; last year the hornworms got in one good night's work before I caught them, and it basically cost me my entire Fatalii crop for the year (the plant did come back, but too late for the new set of pods to ripen).

I feel like vegetative growth bounces back pretty quickly from hornworm damage, but a long-season plant---which most of those you listed are, right?---is going to take a while to develop mature pods again.  At least you do have a very long growing season out there, and since the hornworms don't mess with the roots, the plants should have a good foundation to rebuild from.

-NT

ntenny said:
It appears I got the jump on my first hornworm of the season; I went to check the ripening pods on the big Fatalii plant, and there on a leaf was one of those distinctive square poops.  So I did a close inspection and found the little bastidge hiding on a low stem, then launched it into the middle distance where the nearest plants are oleanders.  (Maybe they kill it, maybe it kills them, and either way I come out ahead.)

As far as I could tell there was just the one, and it hadn't done anything more than chomp a couple of leaves.  I'm hoping this is a good omen; last year the hornworms got in one good night's work before I caught them, and it basically cost me my entire Fatalii crop for the year (the plant did come back, but too late for the new set of pods to ripen).

I feel like vegetative growth bounces back pretty quickly from hornworm damage, but a long-season plant---which most of those you listed are, right?---is going to take a while to develop mature pods again.  At least you do have a very long growing season out there, and since the hornworms don't mess with the roots, the plants should have a good foundation to rebuild from.

-NT
Cool thanks man I shall move forward .

GnomeGrown said:
I found another of these bastards this morning. :shame:
Sliced it in half.
:dance:
Yah watch those suckers the is more I bet but watch that one you cut in half I smashed one and a little later it regenerated itself?it was crazy?

I'm scared to slice them in half---I'm afraid it would just turn into two new ones, like the brooms in the Sorcerer's Apprentice!

-NT

Back