Horn worm

You know, in much of the world these things would be quite the delicacy.  If we could get some to feast on superhot peppers so they load up on capsicans we just might be able to get Nigel to do a review on them!

Smitty said:
Yep that lets you know you got company!

I know. :)

Just thought it would be a good idea to have their "signature" posted somewhere on here since you usually see those before you actually see the worms themselves..

Hopefully it will help someone
cone9 said:
You know, in much of the world these things would be quite the delicacy.  If we could get some to feast on superhot peppers so they load up on capsicans we just might be able to get Nigel do a review on them!

THAT is funny!

cone9 said:
You know, in much of the world these things would be quite the delicacy.  If we could get some to feast on superhot peppers so they load up on capsicans we just might be able to get Nigel do a review on them!

This one dined on bhut pods after it denuded the plant. Shoulda froze him.

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

I've never seen one of these in person before...until today on my fatalli. :confused: Now I'm paranoid.  I've checked my plants twice since I've gotten home.

j

It is what you have to do, you cant leave them to think they own the plant.

They don't care how much work you have put into those plants this season. They're gettin' a free ride.

I stepped on one the other day,and it looked like that Nickelodeon show Double Dare....Blue shit exploded in about a 2 ft circle!

jblo said:
I've never seen one of these in person before...until today on my fatalli. :confused: Now I'm paranoid.  I've checked my plants twice since I've gotten home.

j

I'm so jealous of you guys who can say things like this.  Out here they're just an inevitable fact of gardening---every summer, out they come, and you just gotta try to get to them before they destroy the world.

They keep showing up first on my fataliis too.  I don't know if it's just an accident of location or if there's something about those plants that's special.

-NT

Hey, they don`t need to feed on superhots, althought I guess that would be ideal. As long as they aren`t feeding on tomatoes I`m down to BBQ one and eat it............. :crazy:

I found 2 on my tomatoes this week.  Squished.  The next day I found a small one with the wasp larvae on his back.  He was spared.  ;)

SacFly said:
I found 2 on my tomatoes this week.  Squished.  The next day I found a small one with the wasp larvae on his back.  He was spared;)
A very satisfying choice wasn't it?

They're actually toxic themselves, aren't they?  I have chickens conveniently close to the pepper patch, but I've always assumed I couldn't safely feed the hornworms off to them.  I don't remember why I think that, though, except that they sure as hell *look* toxic (and of course they're full of nightshade foliage).

-NT

Not toxic unless they are feeding on nightshades or tomatoes, as you say. You can feed them on potatoes for a few days to get rid of any toxic stuff they`ve eaten. 

This is what I do with snails. Collect them, then feed on carrots until the poop is orange. Clean them up, give carrots one more day and then into the garlic butter they go!!!

Oh the evil hornworm scourge..... I pulled off a couple thousand of them from my tomatoes last year.
This year I have found a dozen or so thus far, and most were on my pepper plants.

Just a heads up.... They glow bright flourescent green under a uv/black light.
I use a strong portable black light  in the pitch black nightime, lights the buggers up and makes them super easy to find!
Even the baby ones light up nicely.

http://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/hornworms.htm

Hahahaha!

I found this recipe if anyone is super brave....lol
I sure as heck am not trying them!

MAN JUST WHEN MY BABYS WERE BACK NICE STARTING TO FLOWER FOUND MORE?
SON OF A MONKEYS UNCLE?
2013-09-04_17-59-58_441.jpg
BUT THIS TIME IM NOT ON VACATION SUCKERS ARE GOING TO GET IT 7DOWN ...COME GET SOME..........................'.......DANG HORN WORMS BE TRYN TO EAT THE PLANT BEFORE I EVEN GET PEPPERS

Soo its been about a month sence the last post?
And.....well? All I gotta say is...
HORN WORMS EAT YOUR HEART OUT SUCKERS
WOOO HOOO CANT COUNT THEN ALL0:)
( YellowTrinidad scorpion)
2013-10-15_17-09-04_121.jpg

Back