• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Horseradish Chemical warfare

paulky_2000 said:
I'd say yes...but what would you do with it?

20 dollar Bar bets come to mind....lmao!!!!!!!

seriously though i like a good PUNGENT and HOT horseradish (I love Defcons Habby Horse and often make horseradish with habaneros in it at home) So I would use it on all kinds of things!! Especially a good roast beef and real cheddar sandwich....

thehotpepper.com said:
Translation: Ancient Chinese secret!

Why do the Ancient Chinese have all the good secrets and the greedy lil b@&t@d$ won't share any of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LMAO!!!!!

No offense meant......

Thanks for discovering how he does it :)

Dyce51 said:
Now I just checked into Powdered Horseradish. It is highly available and fairly cheap. The description says it has a sharp hot pungent spice to it. I wonder if by making fresh horseradish (which I will be makeing in the next week or so) and then adding horseradish powder (it says it reconstitutes with water) if one could make a "supercharged" horseradish.......

I've tried a numbered of powdered horseradishes as well, the powdered wasabi' too. I didn't find any of them particularly more hot than the fresh stuff. If you get lucky, perhaps you could let me know where you got it, I'd be interested in playing around with the stuff.

I noticed that. That's why I posted that one. Maybe it's the one he had.

thehotpepper.com said:
I noticed that. That's why I posted that one. Maybe it's the one he had.

Quite possible. As the peroxidase oxidizes the capsicum, it may well shorten it's heat length as well, making it not last much longer than if it was just horseradish.

We have a company called Inglehoffer around here, they've been selling little round jars of horseradish forever. The stuff is pretty good, and packs a decent punch. I usually put it on pastrami.

They also make a 'wasabi' version of it, but the green doesn't look quite natural. It has that 'tailings pond' look to it.

Never tried it on pastrami, deli mustard for me, but maybe I'll try it. For me, I have to have it on a roast beef sammy!

DEFCON Creator said:
I've tried a numbered of powdered horseradishes as well, the powdered wasabi' too. I didn't find any of them particularly more hot than the fresh stuff. If you get lucky, perhaps you could let me know where you got it, I'd be interested in playing around with the stuff.

From what I found it looks like most powders are made from dehydrated horseradish. The horseradish is dehydrated at 140 degrees. I read a couple of articles I read state that the pungency and heat level of horseradish decreases as it is heated because the oils begin to evaporate off. However I found that there are several suppliers of Freeze Dried Horseradish Flakes. From what I read freeze drying it a better process for horseradish, as no heat is used so the horseradish retains its oils and in doing so maintain their pungency and heat levels.

thehotpepper.com said:
Never tried it on pastrami, deli mustard for me, but maybe I'll try it. For me, I have to have it on a roast beef sammy!

Totally understand. Personally, I really don't like the taste of mustard, any kind. I really don't know why, I just don't.

However, a couple of our customers use our horseradish in quite an awesome way. They take a prime rib, put a vein of horseradish down the middle of it. Put the meat directly under th broiler for a couple minutes, letting the horseradish crust up a bit, and then cook it like normal. I tried it, man, I can't believe I was missing this for so long, it tastes great!

ipreferamediumroast said:
I wish I discovered this board when I still worked at a college chem dept. We had some cool equipment and all sorts of experiments are coming into my head.

Dude, I've got quite the set-up for experimentations at the house. On certain days, I swear to God our neighbors must think we're running a meth lab. :cool:

Dyce51 said:
From what I found it looks like most powders are made from dehydrated horseradish. The horseradish is dehydrated at 140 degrees. I read a couple of articles I read state that the pungency and heat level of horseradish decreases as it is heated because the oils begin to evaporate off. However I found that there are several suppliers of Freeze Dried Horseradish Flakes. From what I read freeze drying it a better process for horseradish, as no heat is used so the horseradish retains its oils and in doing so maintain their pungency and heat levels.

Hmmmmmm, now where to find a freeze-dryer.........

DEFCON Creator said:
Dude, I've got quite the set-up for experimentations at the house. On certain days, I swear to God our neighbors must think we're running a meth lab. :cool:

Hmmmmmm, now where to find a freeze-dryer.........

I know the feeling....all my neighbors and friends always raise an eyebrow when I set up the grow boxes..they all start asking "Whatchya Growing there???".....and then when I use my stovetop contraption they all get the WTF look on their faces... especially when I bring out gallon jugs of grain alochol....They just don't understand.....LMAO!!!!!!!!

I don't have freeze dry capabilities (not yet at least) so I'll order mine pre freeze dried....

Hey Defcon...you know what my stove top contraption is....I wonder since if I put the freeze dried horseradish in it if I could SAFELY draw the oil out.......hhhmmmmmm......I've been wanting to try out my fresh air breathing appartus out.... I freaked the neighbors out before they ain't seen shiat yet!!....LMAO!!!!!!! I"m definately going to order some freeze dried horseradish......

Dyce51 said:
I've been wanting to try out my fresh air breathing appartus out.... I freaked the neighbors out before they ain't seen shiat yet!!

Does it look anything like THIS:

Fiery19.jpg

;)

no not quite....mine has fresh air being supplied to it and is a half mask ...uuummmmm..........I have been reading medical toxicology and some other lab reports.....Horseradish essetial oil is classified as hazardous....recomended safe for consuption diluted to .05%. thats some nasty shit!!!

I am assuming the article I read earlier about the oil being preseant in freeze dried root is false.....The oil is only found when a live root is bruised or damaged and is extract in minute amounts. When extracting 10,000 parts of root you get 6 parts oil.......thats gonna take alot of roots!!

So is full strength vinegar... and pepper extract.

Back