• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hot Beans

I recently had some beans with some sort of hot pepper in them and I have to say that they were good. Anyone have a recipe? I want to try them out sometime making them myself.

Add peppers to beans. Just kidding. Sounds simple enough though :clap:

sevver said:
I recently had some beans with some sort of hot pepper in them and I have to say that they were good. Anyone have a recipe? I want to try them out sometime making them myself.

There is a great old black-eyed peas recipe called "Hoppin John". Look it up, I think you'll like what you see.

I had never even considered it before, but I tried it and liked it. The presence of peppers is the main reason I tried it I do have to say, since eating beans made by anyone I don't know generally doesn't happen. But, I am going to have to make it on my own, my wife is famous for her beans and I am sure that she would love some competition. :)

Dice some onions and jalapenos, saute them a bit in olive oil until they start to brown. Throw them in a pot of baked beans.

thehotpepper.com said:
Dice some onions and jalapenos, saute them a bit in olive oil until they start to brown. Throw them in a pot of baked beans.

Poblanos and chilacas work as well as xalapas (jalapenos) for chiles. Use garlic with the onions.

I thought I was the only Yankee who ate picante baked beans.......

I thought I posted somewhere about what I called Hoppin Papa. I made it for new years. Tt was like the Hoppin John Defcon mentioned, but I added ham, and subed pickled jalapenos and okra for the peppers normaly used in Hoppin John. It was real good, I thought. I amed a big batch, still eatin it.

I always grab a whole pickles jalapeno to go with a bowl of pintos.
Joe

Back