• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hot Cherry Peppers

So today I discovered, while making a super small batch of hot sauce for the chicken strips i cooked (wanted to make them taste buffalo-ish) that cherry peppers make for some pretty damn good body. the sweetness is amazing, and i just added a hab to spike up the heat. nevertheless, it got me thinking; what varieties of cherry peppers have you guys tried so far?

I'm looking over the Johnny's Select Seeds catalog as well as the Tomato Growers Supply Co online catalog and there's quite a few different hybrids to choose from: Big Bomb Hybrid, Cherry Bomb Hybrid, Ladybug, Peppino, and of course the standard Large Red Cherry.

I grow the standard - I found some nice ones at the store and saved the seeds. I grow quite a few because I pickle them and stuff them w/prosciutto and provolone - I enjoy a bunch of the pickled peppers a loaf of crusty Italian bread and a six pack :drooling: some get quite hot

large hot cherry

86404049.jpg

213iy.jpg

214a.jpg

My tolerance must be down yet. We have hot cherry bombs and the first ripe one was sweet at the very bottom but by midway my grandson took one bite and headed for the milk. They seem to be extreme for heat this year, more than I would expect froma cherry bomb. The Hungarian hot wax are the same so it's either me or something has made those peppers hotter than blue blazes this year.

Back