• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

bottling Hot fill and hold > fridge > shelf? Is this bad?

So I have a food manufacturers license and I know the topic of shelf stability quite well. But I have an oddball question.

Normally I would hot fill and hold and leave it at room temp. But I have a friend who wants one of my homemade sauces and I don't feel like making an entire new batch. but I do have two unopened bottles in the refrigerator.

Am I creating a potential unsafe situation by putting a shelf stable product in the fridge and then taking it out and shipping it to someone?

My fear is that the change in temp with mess with the vacum or seal on the bottles.

Thanks!

Husker21 said:
So I have a food manufacturers license and I know the topic of shelf stability quite well. But I have an oddball question.
Normally I would hot fill and hold and leave it at room temp. But I have a friend who wants one of my homemade sauces and I don't feel like making an entire new batch. but I do have two unopened bottles in the refrigerator.
Am I creating a potential unsafe situation by putting a shelf stable product in the fridge and then taking it out and shipping it to someone?
My fear is that the change in temp with mess with the vacum or seal on the bottles.
Thanks!
No worries about temp change. Lots of sauces I have taken on aircraft are in luggage no heat and gets very cold then warms up by the time I pickup baggage. Never had a problem. Just make sure caps or lids are snug!!

You could re-pack those 2 bottles.

For those who may not know, here's how it goes-
Empty into a sauce pan, either clean the bottles or use new bottles, hot fill/invert/hold. New lids.

DUDES! You haven't got the thumb technique down yet?
Seriously!!!

Wearing a nitrile glove, fill the bottle with sauce, put your thumb over the top, invert and hold your thumb over the opening for 28 seconds (as long as the sauce was at least 203F when bottled),

Then cap with the NEW CAP while the bottle is upsidedown.

Sheesh.....Noobies!!!!!

;)

:lol:

Back