• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Hot pepper fermentation seems to have stopped 10 days into fermentation

Hello fellow hot pepper enthusiasts!

I am trying my hand at a recipe for Pineapple Habanero fermented hot sauce - I have two jars going.

One of the two seems to have stopped fermenting. I'm linking to a video for you to see. I'd love to hear what you think might be going on with the jar on the left.

Take a look at my ferment here!

Thanks in advance!

Ron
Montreal

You don’t have any issues. A LAB brine ferment will not be visually very active past 10 days. I do suggest to let it age a month at minimum though. The way to determine if the ferment has been completed is to take a PH reading after blending. Add vinegar it the PH is too high. A safe PH makes it shelf stable.

If you don’t want to take a PH let it go a monthly plus and add a 1/4 cup of vinegar to your boil before bottling just to be safe.

The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) acceptable pH level for a hot sauce is 4.6 but a lower pH of about 3.4 will ensure any inaccuracies in readings due to equipment or temperature differences in the sauce will be covered.

Hopefully there is a hole in your airlock cap...

Different brines have different personalities, they can even stop (visually) fermenting and start up again. I have 3 mash ferments going, 2 of them took about 5 days go really get going and the other took almost 3 weeks, but now is bubbling away. The slower one has a slightly higher salt ratio, that is only thing I can think of why it took so long.

On a side note, I think I'm done with the air locks, they really don't seem to do much with a slow ferment like a hot sauce. Certainly not like a beer! Just leave the lid slightly loose or burp once in a while seems to work just fine.

Checking in to say that my pepper ferments are almost always very slow, with very little visible activity throughout their term - absolutely nothing like beer & wine that I've done in the past...

That said, airlocks have been key for me to keep kham yeast and nasties at bay during the ferment.

Back