Hot Pepper History?

Thanks to those who provided pieces to the puzzle on this topic but still looking for more. Quick question though... am I correct in remembering that when I'd go into the hot sauce shop in 1995-96 that they'd be like, "...and if you really want something insane, try this habanero sauce." I remember habaneros having the ultimate heat level stigma- at least in popular culture that Ghost peppers or Carolina Reapers do now. Is that accurate? Was there much out there 20 years ago that was hotter & accessible in the US than Habanero or Scotch Bonnet?

midwestchilehead said:
Would this thread also be a good place to discuss the lineage of certain chiles? It seems difficult to locate elsewhere. For example, I hear the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T was a cross between a Trinidad Scorpion and a Cumari. Also, the NuMex Jalmundo was a cross between a Keystone Resistant Giant bell pepper and an Early Jalapeno. Others?
Butch alluded to that cross in a post a couple of years ago when it made the world record but he couldn't confirm it.  He said the cumari was growing near the T.Scorp and it was open pollinated. So it's only a possibility.

I don't sleep much. It's a problem. This site doesn't help any. I was up until 6AM last night looking through old posts in this forum. Went through the Hot Pepper Talk section from 2004-2010 scanning for what passed as hot. Interesting to see when mention of Naga, Bhut, 7 Pot, Scorpion & Moruga make their entrances into the forum & before that people talking about not being able to eat a whole habanero... members that are still active today saying there was no reason to go hotter than Habanero- that only attention seekers would go for anything hotter. Discussions of the elusive goat pepper of the Bahamas & Madame Jannette being the ultimate in heat. A lot more discussion of more mild varieties. For every one Naga post during its reign as the hottest, there were 25 others about milder varieties. Gave me some insight on what finding seeds & trading was like... I say this is if 5-10 years ago was ancient history but it did seem a lot different than today. A good night of reading.

I don't sleep much. It's a problem. This site doesn't help any. I was up until 6AM last night looking through old posts in this forum. Went through the Hot Pepper Talk section from 2004-2010 scanning for what passed as hot. Interesting to see when mention of Naga, Bhut, 7 Pot, Scorpion & Moruga make their entrances into the forum & before that people talking about not being able to eat a whole habanero... members that are still active today saying there was no reason to go hotter than Habanero- that only attention seekers would go for anything hotter. Discussions of the elusive goat pepper of the Bahamas & Madame Jannette being the ultimate in heat. A lot more discussion of more mild varieties. For every one Naga post during its reign as the hottest, there were 25 others about milder varieties. Gave me some insight on what finding seeds & trading was like... I say this is if 5-10 years ago was ancient history but it did seem a lot different than today. A good night of reading.

I feel somewhat obliged to mention that there are devastating things that creep into grows and cost plants, seasons, and even years of seasons. It's important to keep some equanimity about it, so you can calmly continue when shit goes down. I feel like I've seen a number of enthusiastic posts lately, and I know the feeling, and I also know the frustration (tropical storms twice during hardening, for instance) of endless setbacks, and *PERSONALLY* try to keep myself a little closer to mid-line now ... YMMV, of course ...

grantmichaels said:
I feel somewhat obliged to mention that there are devastating things that creep into grows and cost plants, seasons, and even years of seasons. It's important to keep some equanimity about it, so you can calmly continue when shit goes down.
Dude, why are you harshin' my vibe. :)
What could possibly go wrong?? ;)

Storms, drought, pestilence, infections, virii, accidents, mistakes, people, you name it ... but especially the bug that burrows and lives in the pods - that's my least fav so far!

Maybe it's just in Florida, but it's a full-time gig just keeping things on track to the end around here!

grantmichaels said:
Storms, drought, pestilence, infections, virii, accidents, mistakes, people, you name it ... but especially the bug that burrows and lives in the pods - that's my least fav so far!

Maybe it's just in Florida, but it's a full-time gig just keeping things on track to the end around here!
You didn't mention pepper thieves.

Back