• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

hot pepper powders

Doing powders for the first time this year.Can anyone tell me a good combo for making them?i will have 4 to 5 big canning jars of powder.The peppers i used are all from my garden and there is about 40 different hot peppers in mix.Any help would be great.

Dehydrate peppers and grind to powder. Store each separately. On a plate take pinches and mix some together to see how you like the blend. When you find a blend you like, make one jar of the blend from the others.

Yeah i found a blender my wife was selling that i can use with a mason jar.What i would like to know is what kinds of spices that people have used to blend with their powder.I did not grow enough of one type of pepper to make just that type of powder.So what i got is a powder mixture of 40 or so hot peppers mixed.Pretty much if i grew it ,it is in there and it is pretty dang hot.

firchf1 said:
Yeah i found a blender my wife was selling that i can use with a mason jar.What i would like to know is what kinds of spices that people have used to blend with their powder.I did not grow enough of one type of pepper to make just that type of powder.So what i got is a powder mixture of 40 or so hot peppers mixed.Pretty much if i grew it ,it is in there and it is pretty dang hot.

So you've got a grab bag of pods and are going to dry them and then grind.  I do that every year too.  :)  

I don't add any garlic or cumin or anything to the grab bag powder though, cause it's usually way hot.  Instead I'll powder the grab bag pods and then use small amounts of that blend in with other stuff when I'm cooking.  Once the heat level gets kicked up I tend to lose any garlic or cumin or whatever else that might be in there, so I don't bother anymore.  Instead I'll make my spice blend for the dish (say chili) and then I'll use the grab bag powder to bump up the heat.  

40 hot peppers is not enough powder without adding some spices? How muck bulk powder do you need?

Also what are you using this for? Do you want a BBQ rub? A jerk rub? Something for popcorn and nuts? (will need salt). LOTS of options here, we need more info.

No right now i have have 6 big canning jars full of powder made from dried hot peppers from my garden,about 40 different peppers went into mix .what i was asking is for someone who has made powders for say rubs for meats give me some pointers on what spices would be good to use.

Okay so you want a rub recipe. Now we're getting somewhere.

Now, beef, pork, chicken? Multi-use?

Multi-seasoning: Hot pepper powder, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, salt.

BBQ: Add sugar to the above to create a BBQ rub. The sugars are for bark/caramelization.

Other flavors for BBQ or meat: Dry mustard, coriander.

And add any other flavors you like. Lemon zest, dried sage good for grilling.

Thyme, rosemary, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, examples of stronger more distinct flavors.

Back