spirits hot pepper vodka

Hi,

I discovered that I'm becoming someone's dad again in a few months and want to celebrate this with my friends at the next volleypractice in a few days. Would it be possible to infuse a bottle of Eristoff vodkawith some red cayennes on this short time (48 hours) ? Would 3 sliced in half decent sized red cayennes do the trick ? I seem to find recipes where they talk about short periods (3 days to a week) but they never tell exactly how many pepper (scoville + size/grams related I suppose) goes in the bottle. I could stuff twenty cayennes in it but the beverage has to be manageable for an average Joe, and it should be a celebration nobody has to end up in hospital ;-)

So I would really appreciate your expertise on the infusion. I choose cayennes since they are outperforming most other peppers in my cold climate (Belgium) this year, the rest is still in their early (green) stage so...

I've read somewhere that the capsacein is heavier and sinks and therefor the last ones get hotter drinks; can anyone confirm this ? It would be nice to serve them all in the same manner, although it could be nice too to see who's the last man standing ;-)

Peter

cutting the chiles up will expedite the infusion. It should have some heat in 48 hours....no idea how much...good luck!

well it had quite some heat, only in that 48 hours. Most people didn't like it though ;-) probably the same sissies that feel proud when asking extra peppers with their kebab (anybody knows how many scovilles those sweeties have ?), or take sweet and sour in their 'favorite' thai restaurant...

use flavoured vodka or gin/grappa etc. I have made chile vodka in the past and found it to be a pretty revolting taste. to speed the process you can try using some chile powder next time. get an empty teabag, thoroughly washed and put the powder in it. carefully tie it off and submerge in your vodka. you could also try warming the alcohol slightly as this will draw out more flavour/capsaicin from the powder/pods in a shorter time, though I have found the longer you leave it the better.

Back