• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hot sauce prank = criminal charges

Highland Park High School student facing charges after hot sauce prank

By John P. Huston, Chicago Tribune reporter
8:10 p.m. CDT, June 5, 2013

A Highland Park High School student is being charged as a juvenile after spiking a container of marinara sauce in the cafeteria lunch line with a fiery hot sauce that sent three people to the hospital, police said Wednesday. Now the school is installing a security camera in the cafeteria.
Three cafeteria workers were treated May 14 by the school nurse before being sent to a hospital with symptoms including coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and skin rashes, Township School District 113 spokeswoman Natalie Kaplan said. The employees were released the same day, and no one reported serious injuries.
The three cafeteria employees didn't have to eat the spiked sauce to develop the symptoms, according to Kaplan. That's because it was no ordinary hot sauce, said Highland Park police Deputy Chief George Pfutzenreuter.

"I don't think you can find this one in the store. It sounds like this kid had to get it someplace special," he said of the Da Bomb brand sauce.
"It was just being near it," Kaplan said. Two students also reported symptoms but did not require a trip to the hospital, she added.
The district had bought a security surveillance system a few months ago and was choosing locations for the cameras, Kaplan said.
"We decided, based upon that incident, that we'll go ahead and install cameras in the cafeteria where the incident occurred," Kaplan said.
The prankster was identified by the school and disciplined, but Kaplan declined to elaborate, citing privacy concerns.
Pfutzenreuter said the 17-year-old is expected to be referred to juvenile court this week on five counts of misdemeanor battery. The student told authorities it was meant as a prank, he added.
The Da Bomb website features videos of sweaty and doubled-over reactions to ingesting a spoonful of its various sauces, as well as this line: "They look and smell perfectly innocent. But when they explode on your taste buds, in your throat, and deep down in your stomach and bowels, you'll know you're in a war."

I have this hot sauce and it's a lot like Daves Ultimate Insanity, dark brown and absolutely painful to consume.  The last time I had it was in a pot of chili that it ruined.  You guys think criminal charges is too harsh on this one?

Nope, criminal charges are absolutely in order here! This is exactly why the disclaimer on my sites says:

"it is immoral and probably illegal to expose any other person or animal to the products of these plants" .

I get about one email a week from someone wanting "to prank their buddies" and I always advise against it and warn people that they might end up in jail or take a beating for their "prank".

theghostpepperstore said:
Nope, criminal charges are absolutely in order here! This is exactly why the disclaimer on my sites says:

"it is immoral and probably illegal to expose any other person or animal to the products of these plants" .

I get about one email a week from someone wanting "to prank their buddies" and I always advise against it and warn people that they might end up in jail or take a beating for their "prank".
I agree totally, if someone spiked my food with this stuff, I'd be HOTTT, no pun intended.  Nice website by the way, I like your fresh options.

BOOOOOOO!

This exactly what NOT to do. It's crap like that, that will ruin it for the rest of us.
Europe is already taking steps to license and register seeds and growers.
That is where we will be headed as long as there are little shitheads out there doing childish pranks like this.
He should be prosecuted for this, and held accountable. Possibly even made an example out of.
We all know that some people are deathly allergic to nuts, who is he to know others reaction to cap extract?

And that sauce sucks anyway.

It`s an extremely stupid thing to do, but I don`t think criminal charges are the answer. Surely the school and the parents can deal with this kind of idiocy? A night in jail, even, but criminal charges? I don`t think one moment of unthinking lunacy should scar the rest of this idiot`s life. 

There are a lot of things he could be charged for by the school district and I almost guarantee there will be lawsuits against the school and the kid. I have a feeling he will be an example. This is a serious crime he committed this isn't throwing toilet paper everywhere. The workers were hospitalized. If I were the workers I would be pressing assault charges.

Nigel said:
It`s an extremely stupid thing to do, but I don`t think criminal charges are the answer. Surely the school and the parents can deal with this kind of idiocy? A night in jail, even, but criminal charges? I don`t think one moment of unthinking lunacy should scar the rest of this idiot`s life. 
He's going to juvenile court for misdemeanors and he's 17, this will not follow this kid for the rest of his life at all.
svfd1118 said:
He's going to juvenile court for misdemeanors and he's 17, this will not follow this kid for the rest of his life at all.
And FYI i disagree with it completely, a 17 year old is an adult as far as I'm concerned.  Old enough to drive a vehicle, you're an adult.

Just curious, do you have an age minimum for the stuff you sell?  And if so, how do you verify it?

svfd1118 said:
Just curious, do you have an age minimum for the stuff you sell?  And if so, how do you verify it?

Unfortunately due to the invention of VISA/MC backed gift cards and re-loadable debit cards , there is no way to verify age by credit card information anymore. There is no reliable way to verify ages, so we just don't do it. Since we only take payment through PayPal and Google Checkout we have a reasonable expectation that most of those people under 18 will not be able to get an account without at least some adult supervision.

Honestly, in my opinion, a 30 year old and a 13 year old are both equally likely to do something profoundly stupid with the products I sell. I could add something to the disclaimer that states "(The buyer) acknowledges that he/she is at least 18 years of age" , but I don't think it would protect anyone really. 

Honestly, in my opinion, a 30 year old and a 13 year old are both equally likely to do something profoundly stupid with the products I sell.
You got that right. Whether it's college kids, or lackadaisical parenting.
There was a discussion awhile back about leaving hot stuff on counters or just accessible to small children.

You can't save the world, just a simple caution statement is about all you can do. (as you have done).

I can see a time in the not so distant future that peppers will be outlawed , they will be classed as a dangerous weapon home grown TERRORISTS could use against the innocent ... it could be funny if it weren't inevitable .

Unfortunately due to the invention of VISA/MC backed gift cards and re-loadable debit cards , there is no way to verify age by credit card information anymore. There is no reliable way to verify ages, so we just don't do it. Since we only take payment through PayPal and Google Checkout we have a reasonable expectation that most of those people under 18 will not be able to get an account without at least some adult supervision.

Honestly, in my opinion, a 30 year old and a 13 year old are both equally likely to do something profoundly stupid with the products I sell. I could add something to the disclaimer that states "(The buyer) acknowledges that he/she is at least 18 years of age" , but I don't think it would protect anyone really. 
Once we stop using common sense and taking responsibility for our actions, the government will step in and do it for us, and we don't want that.  Ask Europe.  I wasn't implying that you should be selling to a minimum age, just curious.  I'll be placing an order for some fresh ghosts for sure.

svfd1118 said:
Once we stop using common sense and taking responsibility for our actions, the government will step in and do it for us, and we don't want that.  Ask Europe.  I wasn't implying that you should be selling to a minimum age, just curious.  I'll be placing an order for some fresh ghosts for sure.
No worries, I didn't think you were implying that, it is a topic that comes up all the time and a question people ask a lot.

Should have fresh ghosts soon, about a month.

Yea this kid was just plain stupid... nothing wrong with pranking someone so long as you know they can handle the level of burn your throwing at them but not to strangers whos reaction to capcaicin is unknown. However I love it when a buddy is over when I make tacos I like to throw a dab of my wanzas wicked temptation on at the end of their taco lol.. helps cut back on feeding friends. One bite with 2mil+ scoville sauce usually prevents them from wanting another taco due to the fear of more of that sauce lol
But you have to respect something with such a high level of capcaicin one drop on you skin in the right place will burn horribly. Got a drop of this stuff on my face the day I got it. Decided to drop a little straight into my mouth, well some got on my lip and face right under my bottom lip. Worse pain ive ever felt in my face in the 26yrs ive been alive. Also took nearly 30min to stop burning. Theres honestly no way to prevent people from doing pranks such as this but to avoid idiots like this causing issues for us pepperheads down the road I say if they wana prank let them but try and educate them on ways to do so in a appropriate manner. Like your own home with your own friends and family not at school like this fool.... smh
I also agree with most of u due to his stupid choice to do this in public I think he should be charged. Hell hes lucky its not a felony. I know if someone did that at the hs I went to wood river il police would be happy to hook you up with some adult felony charges no juvenile nothing 17yo your an adult to our court system here in illinois.
About Mulch said:
I can see a time in the not so distant future that peppers will be outlawed , they will be classed as a dangerous weapon home grown TERRORISTS could use against the innocent ... it could be funny if it weren't inevitable .
If we get another president here in the us like our current one I could see that really happening

Yep pretty stupid stunt to pull, if someone had had a serious reaction the charges could have been a lot worse including law suites, I have not heard of anyone dying from a alergic reaction, but there is that possibility, just like someone dying  eating peanuts.
I'm always surprised what teens do, sometimes it back fires and they get hurt or killed, but causing someone else to get sick, injured or killed is strickly a big NO.

Back