• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Hot Sauce Snob

Yeah don't judge a sauce by that. I bet the balsamic in your pantry is fake too. Does it say grape must in the ingredients? At least it's natural not artificial albeit imitation.

Scorch Garden said:
I make sauces, but before that, i ate sauces.  I still do, but it's hard to find something i can get behind.

Frank's Red Hot was my go to in the 80s, i had outgrown Tabasco in my early teens and until the 90s there wasn't much of a hot sauce market so choices were limited.
Now that i am experienced in gardening and cooking (not just sauce but in commercial kitchens), my pallet has changed.

I pretty much write off any sauces that have:
  • extracts
  • thickeners
  • sugar
  • preservatives
  • colorings
  • a filler vegetable like tomatoes or carrots as the second ingredient
  • a $5 or less price tag
I consider them basic and impure.
My other issue is since i've been into super hots since 2015, nothing is as hot as it claims to be on the bottle.  That's my fault, but still, when something says XXX HOT and the hottest pepper that is listed is habanero...WTF???

Maybe i'm the odd man out here, which i'm fine with, but does anyone else share my views?

I feel like I should apologize to ScorchGarden.  All this talk about hot sauces, ingredients, label listings was way off topic.

The original question was-
I diss all sauces with (those things in them), nothing is hot enough, does anyone else share my views?

In response to that question, I'd say most people do not share your view.

Sorry for the hijacking and not reading your OP correctly. 

Best of luck with your sauce business.  Which I'm assuming is totally legal since you know some stuff about FDA labels, etc. and seem to be posting on FB as a business...

I and I think others would appreciate if you would post your legal processor status.

Sincerely,
salsalady

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah don't judge a sauce by that. I bet the balsamic in your pantry is fake too. Does it say grape must in the ingredients? At least it's natural not artificial albeit imitation.

Of course it does. Do you really think I'm paying double digits for the good stuff?
My two balsamics (red and white) both still contain the actual fruit that they're supposed to, though, while that one has only unspecified "natural flavor", which I really don't like seeing in a sauce.

But yeah, I overreacted and should have paid more attention to the "Manufactured For" that absolved the recipe creator of all guilt. Edmick did good to point that out

Edmick said:
I hear you. These are some of the issues that go along with using a copacker though from what I've seen. Have you tried the sauce? I have an extra bottle I can send you if you're interested. A lot of members really like it. PM me if you're interested.

After looking through the various links that Mike provided, I'm significantly more interested than I was before, because it sounds like it's actually fairly vinegar heavy and will come through in the taste. I'd definitely like to give it a go, since how vinegar affects a sauce seems to have become a recurring theme in my reviews and this is a unique one. At least to me.
I'll definitely drop you a PM but do be aware that I'm UK based.

spicefreak said:
Of course it does. Do you really think I'm paying double digits for the good stuff?

No idea. I don't live in your pantry. I can get a real balsamic of Modena for $3.99 here.

spicefreak said:
At that price, I probably would. At least to see the difference.
Perhaps I need to look further afield and see if I can find a cheaper seller.

I think you are right tho, been looking at ingredients. Apparently even if it's fake balsamic they can call it Balsamic Vinegar of Modena because they make the fake stuff in Modena. :lol: What a crock!

Plus the USA and Canada don't respect most DOP or equivalent designations.

That is why a lot of N. Americans think parmesan can come in a green can. Tonnes of people who think they like things like feta, Muenster, balsamic,prosciutto, etc don't have a clue what the real thing tastes like.

Edit :just doing my part to maintain snobbery levels. ;)

I would agree for the most part but legally Parmesan does come in a little green can in the USA. Parmigiano Reggiano does not and must come from certain areas in Italy. Being a cheese snob i can also assure you that the best "gruyere" ive ever tasted was a domestic called Grand Cru Surchoix. I would put it up against any authentic import available in the USA.

dragonsfire said:
If Vinegar does not have the "Mother" the stuff on the bottom, then its your typical dead chemical vinegar, easy way to tell is if you take a sip and it burns your throat its the chemical crap, In General. The "Organic" ones like Braggs, Spectrum and the one from Costco (from what I have tried), dont burn your throat, unless your real sensitive.

Is this the one from Costco you are talking about? It is very good.

_20180720_145213.JPG

Costco near me had 2-3 different organic unfiltered since ive been going there.

Vermont Village
Acetum
And i think Braggs or North Coast.

I just used the Vermont Village in a jala sauce today since it was added after cooking.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I would agree for the most part but legally Parmesan does come in a little green can in the USA. Parmigiano Reggiano does not and must come from certain areas in Italy. Being a cheese snob i can also assure you that the best "gruyere" ive ever tasted was a domestic called Grand Cru Surchoix. I would put it up against any authentic import available in the USA.
Since taste preference is personal, I will take your word it tastes better to you. I would still need to taste it beside a long aged AOP Kaltbach to decide if I agreed. Either way it is still not gruyere. ;)

Back