• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hot Sauce Success

Admittedly, I am fairly new to making hot sauces, but my first attempt at it was either complete luck, or well, complete luck :P. It was a heavenly mix, although a bit hot, and I couldn't have been happier.  It started when I ordererd the pepper seeds from an online source, started them in my garage with a shop light, and transplanted them into containers on my back porch.  I had way too many started pepper plants, so I gave several to my mother who transplanted them into her garden.  The peppers that I planted in the containers were quite a bit smaller (although still fantastic) than the ones my mother planted in her garden, so next year I plan on planting my peppers in the ground. 

Fast forward to their ripening:

I had cayennes and tabascos, which after some research I had determined were the best for making the type of hot sauce I was striving for.

On my first batch, I used the cayennes. I picked only the very ripe and red peppers and de-stemmed them. After this, I placed them in the food process and chopped them up a bit (not too fine).  After that, I placed them in a bowl and mixed a ratio of 30:1 peppers to kosher salt. 

After that, I placed the pepper/salt mixture in a pickle jar and mashed them down to the bottom.  I added a layer of about 1/4 inch of salt on top of the mixture.  I topped the jar with a cloth and wrapped a rubber band around the top to hold the cloth on.  I let the mixture sit on a shelf in my cupboard for about 1 month, and then removed it because of impatience.  I chipped off the salt dome and discarded it.  I added white vinegar to the mixture and let it sit another week. 

After the week, I put the mixture into the food processor again and ground it up as fine as it would go.  I then strained it with a sifter into a jar.  The result was heavenly.  I never tested the pH or anything like that, but on my subsequent batches I think I will.  I have also started another jar with a different process using a homemade air lock (if anyone wants pics please let me know and I can send them to you because I cant figure out how to upload them).  I'm not sure how the next batches will turn out but I'll keep you all informed. 

Please let me know if anyone has questions or suggestions, as this is the beginning of a new chapter for me, and I am very excited.  Thank you everyone!

uqbm.jpg

8t6x.jpg

The reason I used the items I did for the airlock: that's what I had in my garage.... :P

I would post some pics of the finished product from my last batch, but unfortunately it's all gone!

I should also add this to my original post.  On my most recent batches, I added some whey liquid from some homemade yogurt my wife happened to be making.  I read that this can "jumpstart" the fermentation process, so I guess we will see.  I have yet to see any bubbles forming in them and it's been two days, but patience hopefully will prevail.  Just in case you were wondering, I added about two or three tablespoons of the yogurt whey to about 8 cups of mash. I just pulled that ratio out of the air, so who knows!

I would really appreciate any suggestions or comments on my process, and how safe you all think it is in terms of botulism or any other food born pathogens.  Like I said before though, my first batch using the salt dome method worked out great and I didn't get sick from it, so I guess that's a start!

:welcome: J~hawk~

looks like you have the basics covered for a fermented sauce!   And using "what you have" gets Bonus Points ( for the non-existent Final Round- - - ) 

Actually, the Final Round is whatever you do with the chiles...  WIN!

Thank you for the input!

An update on the air lock setup:
I arrived home from work and looked at it and noticed some white mold growing above the liquid on one of the seeds. Now, im not sure if this is a sign the whole batch is not going well, and there are still no bubbles, so i just tossed it. I dont want to take any chances and i know the salt dome method was good so ill just keep doing them that way unless i hear otherwise from one of you. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!

The salt dome method is cool. Isn't that the way Tobasco actually does it except on a larger scale?

Just a thought that doing it not the salt dome way you may need more sugars to get the good bacteria going instead of white mold stuff if you did just the same mash and salt. Try adding carrots next time.

Yeah Capsicum Select, it is kind of the way tabasco does their's.  I think they actually seal the barrells and then place the salt on top of the lid.  Either way I think it is the same principle.  Botulisim isn't a fan of salty environments, as well as most all micro-organisms (nasties). 

Tigahb8- I've heard that the white mold above the mash isnt a big deal, but I am kinda squeemish when it comes to mold, so no matter what I wouldn't have liked it :rolleyes:  I'm just weird I guess.

Capsicum- I think you're right, more sugars I think would be good.

Thanks for all of your replies and comments/suggestions.  Keep them coming!!!

Back