• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hot Stuff Addiction - A Long-Term Health Concern?

rainbowberry said:
Ahhh babe, I thought you'd forgotten about me and I almost suggested to DD that I could be his bit on the side ;)
Daring. I like it! :P
Haven't forgotten you, don't worry. ;)

theHippySeedCo said:
Researchers from the Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Princeton, N.J., reported animal studies in which capsaicin reduced ventricular tachycardias and ventricular fibrillations, types of serious arrhythmias. Furthermore, capsaicin improved blood flow to the heart. Capsaicin seems to function in these roles as a natural calcium blocker, analogous to some prescription heart drugs.

hrm i eat a lot of chiles but have tachycardia... clearly i need to eat more chiles...

theHippySeedCo said:
Capsorbin, a carotenoid associated with capsaicin in cayenne, functions as an antioxidant that quenches singlet oxygen free radicals.

Although there is some evidence that capsaicin is mutagenic, recent studies have found that capsaicin protects against some chemicals that cause cancer and mutations.12 In one study, researchers found that chlorophyll suppressed the mutagenic properties of capsaicin.

i've also heard that cultures that eat a lot of spicy food have a lower incidence of colon cancer.

Wow, thanks guys, this has been very informative and has me even more enthusiastic about developing into a full fledge chili-head!

As for windowsill pepper growing, what sort of peppers are they?

rainbowberry said:
Ahhh babe, I thought you'd forgotten about me and I almost suggested to DD that I could be his bit on the side ;)

The air fare to London every week would be the death of me..... Because Mrs. DD is in charge of the bank account!

Bubonic said:
As for windowsill pepper growing, what sort of peppers are they?
ANTILLAIS CARIBBEAN
APACHE F1 HYBRID
ARIBIBI (ARIVIVI) GUSANO
BOLIVIAN RAINBOW
CAYENNE
CONGO TRINIDAD
DATIL (PI 281435)
FATALII
JALAPENO GRANDE
HABANERO BROWN
HABANERO CHOCOLATE
HABANERO HAROLD ST BARTS
HABANERO LEMON YELLOW
HABANERO LITTLE FINGER
HABANERO MUSTARD
HABANERO PAPER LANTERN
HABANERO PEACH
HABANERO RED DOMINICA
HABANERO RED SAVINA TM
HABANERO WHITE
HABANERO YELLOW (PI 224448)
HINKLE HATZ
HOT TREE PEPPER (PI 267729)
INDIAN P-C1 (ASIAN HOT)
IVORIAN PIMENTE
JALAPENO
JALAPENO M (SANTIAGO)
JAMAICAN RED HOT
MEDUSA
PETER PEPPER RED (PI 593566)
ROCOTO CANARIO (YELLOW)
ROCOTO ORANGE
ROCOTO RED (ROJO)
SAFI
SCOTCH BONNET
SCOTCH BONNET BURKINA YELLOW
SCOTCH BONNET RED
SCOTCH BONNET YELLOW
CHILTEPIN TEXAS
TRINIDAD SCORPION
NAGA MORICH (DORSET NAGA?)
CHILTEPIN
TOBAGO SEASONING PEPPER
PEPPADEW TM
TASMANIAN HABANERO

Plus a couple of others I coudn't find on the Chileman site. AJ I put your Tepin under Texas Tepin, I think you put yours under standard Tepin though. Remember the ones I had from elsewhere never germinated? well it did the day after I received yours. The seeds are like buses, you wait for ages for one and then they all come along at once.

DevilDuck said:
The air fare to London every week would be the death of me..... Because Mrs. DD is in charge of the bank account!
:lol: Sensible lady

I'm in love with the possibilities.
Heck with that many peppers I'm sure lots haven't made it into commercialized sauces, so you must be experiencing unique taste, especially when you make blends...
Oh I envy your peppers!

The list is being added to on Saturday. I'm gonna be drowning in Habs in the summer.

*God what am I letting myself in for, I grew five plants last year*

Hot Stuff Addiction - A Long-Term Health Concern?

Yes, my addiction to Hot Stuff concerns me...my long-tern health depends on them. ;-D

~Q

rainbowberry said:
I wasn't even looking for this but this is what I came across. It's just simply explaining how they are good. I haven't tried to look for the bad.

Chile peppers are all-season foods: they warm you up in winter and cool you down in the summer. This correlates to the feeling of warmth when eating chillies. Hot foods do increase perspiration, which may be the underlying reason they are enjoyed in hot climates. So a sweat and possibly a brief increase in your metabolic rate won't influence weight loss either. The best contribution to weight loss is the flavours chillies can add to foods when the fat has been removed. Studies done in populations that use hot peppers consistently found that these people show no higher incidence of any gastrointestinal diseases. In fact, there are some areas where they exhibit some beneficial effects. The Capsaicin has been identified as an anticoagulant and could possibly aid in preventing a heart attack or stroke. Since 1982, there have been more than 2,000 scientific studies published describing the medicinal benefits of chillies. These include treatments for asthma, arthritis, blood clots, cluster headaches, shingles and severe burns.

It is believed that relief of PMS can come from the Endorphin release after eating chillies, although there is certainly the possibility of other factors coming into play. Aside from the documented physiological/psychological effects of endorphins, chillies are high in compounds known as Bioflavonoids.

These compounds are powerful anti-inflammitories. Bioflavonoids are also noted to help blood vessel walls strengthen and lessen bleeding. This could be another source of the relief. Chiles are also cited by nearly every homeopathic and home remedy book to be able to reduce inflammations. Chiles are believed by many peoples to achieve this effect through a normalising of blood pressures and blood flows in the body. Chiles are also noted to be relatively high in magnesium. Some time ago, bananas were touted as the ultimate cure for PMS when it was found that potassium helped to relieve the symptoms associated with PMS. Magnesium comes from the same family on the periodic table and could potentially mimic this effect.
================================
Wow. Just......wow.

You rock.

I've thought about it, and know a little about the science (being a 1st year med student and all...albeit, an old one...) and I am impressed by how thoroughly you covered the bases, Rainbowberry.

From an organic perspective, the pepper is basic, and your stomach produces HCl (definitely acidic...pH around 2.0) Theoretically, the bsse will chill out the acid. At 45 yo, I eat what I want and suffer no consequences.... and chiles are involved in almost every meal I eat. Crazy?
Don't think so.
Perhaps more research is in order....

:hell:

Well, In the past day and a half, I ate a orange hab, a fatali, a savina, and a morrich..plus other foods that had hot stuff in/on them. Haven't exploded yet...althought I thought the fatali and morrich might do the job. ;)

IMO, hot stuff keeps me both insane and healthy. I've been eating hot stuff for about 12 yrs now, and I haven't has so much as a cold in years. Considering that I smoke and drink way too much, I'm pretty dern healthy for 42.

Considering I was born a preemie back in the '60s, and shouldn't have lived to see age 3, I now have the immune system of a horse. I also am about 10 pounds from my H.S. weight. If anything, I'm healthier now.

And I get carded for 21 all the time. ;)

I eat garlic/ginger/chiles every day, plus lots of H20, and don't eat out at all..best way to get sick IMO. Do you really want some minimum wage kids making your lunch? Think about it.

I also cook a lot, and eat a lot of whole grains and rice/veggies. You are what you eat...don't be a McPerson w/ Cheese. :D

~Q

wise words QuadShotz,carnt wait to produce my own chillis and start on the healthier eating option..eat lots of wholegrains to and trying to got out as much crap as i can,i eat to many biscuits/choclates thats my weakness:(

some issues come up with low end hotsauce with all its salt and vinagar .
now with that being said I have a doctor friend that I eat hot with and he says that hot peppers protect the stomach..
not sure on how it works...
I have not found that hotsauce keeps me from getting colds or makes me last longer but all I can say is that I eat a full range of foods as I enjoy what the world has to offer and I think that a full balanced diet will do alot for you.
after time you will find you can eat hotter peppers and sauce without crying like a baby but I don't think you lose the abbility to taste as a result.

great info given from others here.
yep, hot chiles are good for you. they're considered a super food just like blueberrys,& many more but I forgot which ones are at the top.
as for ulcers, you know how people say I cant eat hot stuff because of their ulcers well chiles are not the problem because alot of foods or the way the food is made annoys their ulcers. I thought I read something that said if you have ulcers the best thing is to eat hot chiles to get rid of the ulcers ? (dont take my word this is just hearsay)

if you keep it all natural with less vinegar/salt/extract, hot sauce/chiles are good for the body.

Back