• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hotter than naga

darkfool58 said:
HI there

Is there a new chilli about that is rumoured to be hotter than the nagas or is someone pulling my leg?

Thanks

Russ

Guinness Names World's Hottest Chile Pepper

guinness_small.jpg

At the 2007 New Mexico Chile Conference, chile breeder Dr. Paul Bosland displayed a certificate from Guinness World Records naming 'Bih Jolokia' as the "World's Hottest Spice." The variety, originally from India, was grown out and tested over a five year trial period by Dr. Bosland and other scientists at the Chile Pepper Institute. It was tested via High Performance Liquid Chromatography and measured an astounding 1,001,304 Scoville Heat Units. Seeds are available through the Chile Pepper Institute.
Bhut and Bih are the same pepper just different names.

Its funny how the record is not in the actual book. I just read the 2007 edition at my dentist's office and its not in there. Guiness is pretty much just a joke these days anyways.

I still don't know how Dr. Bosland got the record when he was one of the original sceptics. You'd think the indian source that gave him the seeds would get the title or those who have been growing and eating them for years.

POTAWIE said:
I still don't know how Dr. Bosland got the record when he was one of the original sceptics. You'd think the indian source that gave him the seeds would get the title or those who have been growing and eating them for years.

Scientists must be skeptics, until things are proven by scientifical method.

Yes, I understand why he was a skeptic, but how did he get an award for what people have been growing for many years before him. He didn't create the pepper he only grew it from seeds he obtained, and had it tested, likely with University $$$.

couldn't the same then be said for any record relating to biggest dog, tallest person, fattest cat, heaviest pumpkin etc - that they are all occuring naturally so they don't deserve a record just for putting their hand up?

with heat there are a lot of variables, maybe he was able to tease out more heat than previous growers were able to. maybe there was some genetic instability in that variety and that is why it took five years of commitment. Dr Bosland is a very well respected chile expert so I doubt he just planted the seeds and stood by doing nothing - that is the main reason why I bought my BJ seed from NMSU and will do so every time I need new seed.

has anyone seen a copy of a Guinness certificate for the Dorset Naga? I hear claims of 1.5mil SHU's so surely the 'owners/growers/finders/originators' of that variety have the current record??? I'd like to see the proof.

and I agree with you Habman - Guinness is a great drop!

My impression, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, is that part of that five years was in tracking down the pepper, not just in growing it. And I believe the point of having a well respected chile expert grow it was less about bragging rights and more about consistency. He grew the red savina. the orange hab, and the Bhut Jolokia together so that no one could claim the reason for the extreme heat was cultivation practices and not the inherent characteristics of the pepper.

The way I see it, Bosland didn't breed the peppers he took what had been tested in India as the hottest in the world and stabilized, not hybridized it and testing only proves that they(indian scientists) were right in the first place. The skeptic proved himself wrong and then takes home the trophy.

Well you know the U.S.A., its our way or the highway. But from what I have heard, this pepper has been selling, at least in powder form, in the UK before it made it's way to the states.

POTAWIE said:
The way I see it, Bosland didn't breed the peppers he took what had been tested in India as the hottest in the world and stabilized, not hybridized it and testing only proves that they(indian scientists) were right in the first place. The skeptic proved himself wrong and then takes home the trophy.

The pepper was certified, not the grower. He doesn't have any rights to the pepper like the red savina guy, does he? When Cross Country sold me a Bhut Jolokia plant, they didn't have to pay any royalties to him, and I could save seed and sell my own if I wanted. So, how is he taking home any trophies?

I think you're putting too much emphasis on the Guinness certification. It's not like they were going to go to India and test the durn peppers themselves, they just put a pop culture label on something Bosland did scientifically.

He's an agricultural researcher, this is the kind of thing he does for a living. He was skeptical, so he tested the pepper, and published his results. He stood up and said "Wow, was I wrong." This kind of research goes on in agriculture all the time. Farmers need the facts before they invest heavily in a product, they have too much to lose to invest in rumors and hearsay.

Pepper Belly said:
Well you know the U.S.A., its our way or the highway. But from what I have heard, this pepper has been selling, at least in powder form, in the UK before it made it's way to the states.

Hey, we're not all George Bush! Some of us didn't even vote for him!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what y'all are saying, but I don't think the US or Dr. Bosland were trying to claim or brand Bhut Jolokias. Chile peppers are a major crop in Mew Mexico, and he does research on them, so he tested Bhuts against Red Savinas and Orange habs in controled field conditions. That's all.

Ok, so the Guinness thing might have been a bit of weenie wagging, but I've been hearing grumbling in the pepper community for years and years about the Red Savina claim of being the world's hottest. So he did a little victory dance at the Red Savina guy's expense, so what? It doesn't make the pepper his or brand it an American pepper.

Pam said:
Hey, we're not all George Bush! Some of us didn't even vote for him!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what y'all are saying, but I don't think the US or Dr. Bosland were trying to claim or brand Bhut Jolokias. Chile peppers are a major crop in Mew Mexico, and he does research on them, so he tested Bhuts against Red Savinas and Orange habs in controled field conditions. That's all.

Ok, so the Guinness thing might have been a bit of weenie wagging, but I've been hearing grumbling in the pepper community for years and years about the Red Savina claim of being the world's hottest. So he did a little victory dance at the Red Savina guy's expense, so what? It doesn't make the pepper his or brand it an American pepper.

Take a chill pill, Pam :evil: I'm American and I did vote for W. I even listen to Rush Limbaugh, I just live in Germany. I also respect Dr. Bosland and his findings, though I think Potawie is questioning whether or not the findings are correct and he is also questioning why we didnt take the original Indian findings at their word. In other words if I understand Patawie correctly, he thinks Dr. Bosland is falsely being credited with a finding that which was already established before by the Indians. :D K?

I have no problem with Dr. Bosland, just the Guiness book people saying that he discovered it when he obviously didn't. Give at least some credit to the Indian scientists, who deserve it.

the certificate doesn't mention that Dr Bosland discovered or developed the Bhut Jolokia pepper, it doesn't even mention his name. it simply certifies that the Bhut Jolokia is believed to be the hottest of all spices, ... measured at ... the New Mexico State University.

any inferences relating to him discovering or finding or engineering this pepper are outside the scope of the GBoR certification and are the interpretations of those individuals who have chosen to add their own impressions of what has occurred - go back to page one of this thread and re-read the document yourself!

don't try the Guinness website - it's a complete waste of time.

according to who? the freenewmexican - is that a community newspaper?

the article also says that New Mexico State University is the official entry as the location where the chile's heat index was measured. Bosland was responsible for locating the chile pepper, testing it, engineering it so it sets fruit better, and ultimately submitting his findings to Guinness for review. I wonder why he didn't call it the Bosland Jolokia?

if he did all those extra things then maybe he was able to influence the heat output. maybe I am wrong and he did nothing. I don't know. I don't believe everything I read on the internet though. you can start a rumour today and within a month it is part of folklore.

chilliman64 said:
according to who? the freenewmexican - is that a community newspaper? .

:rolleyes:I can probably list dozens or hundreds of other articles that say he discovered it too.

So maybe I shouldn't be upset with guinness just everyone else who suggests that he discovered it.

Back