• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

How big can aloe plants get because everyone is always shocked when they see this

I have not seen many other aloe plants outside of the small ones solded in stores but I've had this one growing now for 5 years and I think its big but will it get much bigger if it had a bigger pot? I think its in a 15" pot now if memory serves me right. I wish I could transplant it to a bigger pot but I have no idea how because it weighs like 120lbs right now...maybe more. I water it twice a month (1/2 liter of fish tank water each time).

aloe.jpg

Jeez.. that's huge! I've seen them a similar size in gardens here, but nothing as wild looking. The neighbor's one is maybe slightly bigger, and they are hopeless with plants. so maybe if you wanted it to get much bigger you could put it in the dirt somewhere?

Ok so they can get pretty big :) Good to know. I thought maybe mine was a bit freakish. I cant really plant it outside due to winters here in Canada.

I thought of one way to transplant it but it would take two people. One person kind of hugs the plant close to the base and another with a hammer breaks the pot. The person left holding the plant can move it into the larger pot which is partially filled with soil, then once sitting in there, it gets filled....

Not sure if that works but it sounds like it would :)

Grimus said:
Jeez.. that's huge! I've seen them a similar size in gardens here, but nothing as wild looking. The neighbor's one is maybe slightly bigger, and they are hopeless with plants. so maybe if you wanted it to get much bigger you could put it in the dirt somewhere?

Grimus said:
Hahahaha sounds like you're assassinating the poor thing, ready put in a shallow grave!

I'll try it later in the summer. I hope it will go well but before I do it, I'll talk to a nursery and see what they would recommend. I'd really like this thing in a larger pot. Next pot will not be a 50lb ceramic one.

Nice looking plant! I've seen them in 24" pots with plant diameter up to 4'.

If you try to transplant it with help, wrap a blanket around the plant for the person holding the plant to protect from the spiky-things. Sounds like your plan would work fine, if you're willing to sacrifice the old pot. Make sure the new one has straight sides in case you have to transplant again!

And I notice your nice grow set up on the side, too.

salsalady said:
Nice looking plant! I've seen them in 24" pots with plant diameter up to 4'.

If you try to transplant it with help, wrap a blanket around the plant for the person holding the plant to protect from the spiky-things. Sounds like your plan would work fine, if you're willing to sacrifice the old pot. Make sure the new one has straight sides in case you have to transplant again!

And I notice your nice grow set up on the side, too.

Thanks for the confidence in my repotting plan. I think it will work but I'm sure I'll be very nervous the day I'm doing it because i dont want to hurt or injur the plant. Also you had me curious with the measurement so I went ahead and rolled the plant out from the wall a little as some of its leaves were resting against the wall. Once out in the middle of the kitchen and resting naturally, I measured the diameter at 50" at its widest points and an average of about 42" elsewhere. The pot is 18" in diameter (I thought it was 15" until I measured it).

Oh and thanks for the comment on my grow setup :) I will share a pic of it with you as well as this other plant that I've got taking over my kitchen (also in an 18" pot). I dont know what its called but its also quite monsterous. LOL....also dining on fish water once every couple weeks. Its very thirsty though and takes about a gallon each time. I had to trim it a bit because it had a couple branches sticking another foot or so out.

growsetup.jpg

hugeplant.jpg

Skydiver said:
Nice schefflera!

So thats what its called! Thanks :) I've had it for about the same length of time as the aloe (about 5 years). It was a small plant when I got it as a house warming present. It went from a 6" pot to a 12" and a year later into the 18" and remained there.

Forgot to mention if you like big spreading plants and have the room try a philodendron selloum...given the right size pot and room to grow they get over six feet in diameter, just awesome. I just don't have the room to grow one to that size.

Back