• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do Environmental Factors effect Bhut Jolokia Pod Shape

I've noticed that the pods I was picking in July were more elongated and slender, with a wrinkly, bumpy, almost pitted surface. Where as the pods I'm picking now are smooth skinned fat and squat. Some of them almost look like 7 pods or red habaneros. My theory is excess water produces fatter smoother pods. The only environmental factor that has changed has been the copious amounts of rain in my area. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

All my plants are artificially watered, so I can't really comment on that... but there is a difference when the temp changes.

I'd say that the water doesn't have so much to do with it as the temperature does. I have never noticed a difference from our spring rainy season and our early summer which is horribly dry and the temps are about the same. However I always notice in the fall rainy season when it is much cooler than the spring the pods are much larger but not as gnarly looking.

Back