• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil How do I adjust the PH of my soil?

imaguitargod said:
They sell meters that do that. I usually just send the soil in to get tested and I get a bunch of other info from it as well.

where do you send it to get tested ?

and what ph should coco coir be ?

Hotpeppa said:
and what ph should coco coir be ?
I'm pretty sure it's between 5.6-6.3

I'll verify those #'s once i get off work.

According to my old grow log, i was pH'ing the nutes to 5.8

Hotpeppa said:
hey igg,

how can i put a picture up below my name ?

Create an avatar and save it on your computer. Then click "User CP" on the toolbar under the main site logo at the top of the forum. Then click on Edit Avatar, and upload it.

imaguitargod said:
Create an avatar and save it on your computer. Then click "User CP" on the toolbar under the main site logo at the top of the forum. Then click on Edit Avatar, and upload it.

thank you kind Sir..

high fiiiive..:)

imaguitargod said:
I sent mine up to a University in Michagen. I have no clue what coco coir pH should be.

Iggy,

Our local County Extension Service, which is part of Ohio State, sends the soil samples to Michigan. I give my brother-in-law, a HUGE Buckeye fan, a hard time - OSU can't tell squat about dirt!

Mike

wordwiz said:
Iggy,

Our local County Extension Service, which is part of Ohio State, sends the soil samples to Michigan. I give my brother-in-law, a HUGE Buckeye fan, a hard time - OSU can't tell squat about dirt!

Mike
It's because they closed that department at OSU I believe.

joeknowsjolokia said:
I know what my PH is, but how do I adjust it?

joe...not doubting you, but is your pH really 2...that is really low man...

I don't use coco coir so I better not give advice on adjusting the pH for that. I am sure some of the other members can tell you...I haven't had a problem with low pH, just the opposite, high pH and I bought acidifier to bring it down...

And also, for coco, you adjust the pH of the nutrients. This takes care of the coco too.

If your run-off pH (pH of the water that runs out the bottom when you water) is a lot different than the pH of your nutrients going in, just flush the coir with water til you get all the accumulated salts out, then start feeding it with pH'd nutes again next time it needs water.

AlabamaJack said:
joe...not doubting you, but is your pH really 2...that is really low man...

I don't use coco coir so I better not give advice on adjusting the pH for that. I am sure some of the other members can tell you...I haven't had a problem with low pH, just the opposite, high pH and I bought acidifier to bring it down...

Well I bought a cheap tester:oops: Thats what it said! AJ, It's potting soil out of store bought bags, mixed with a cactus blend.

joeknowsjolokia said:
Well I bought a cheap tester:oops: Thats what it said! AJ, It's potting soil out of store bought bags, mixed with a cactus blend.

Strange. The most acidic component of most soilless mixes is peat, which only has a pH of 4.4. Could be a shitty meter. Just make sure you adjust the pH of your nutrients when you water. Get a simple, cheap pH up & down kit.

Also, lime raises pH. And is high in calcium, which also helps prevent blossom end rot. Never used it to raise pH though.

Looking at wikipedia, it appears that lime can be used for raising pH. Scroll toward teh bottom:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil_pH

I'd still recommend getting a cheap pH up & down starter kit. Comes with a liquid tester and vial, you scoop water, add tester, and compare colors. Once you do it once or twice, you figure out how much pH up or down you need to add. Can take a bit of going back and forth at first to get it right though.

You can add ground limestone to it. I wouldn't know how much though.

EDIT: nevermind TX posted the same thing while I was typing mine and trying to figure out how much you could add. I have seen recipes that say for a 1/2 cu. ft. of sphagnum peat moss you would add about 3/4 of a cup. But like I said I don't really know what to do in your case. What size pots are you using?

Back