• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying How Do I Dehydrate Peppers?

I remember Salsalady telling me to dehydrate at around 100 degrees so the colors could stay true, but for how long do I dehydrate these babies for? Ill be cutting them in half and removing the seeds to keep.

Depends on the humdity in your place. Just keep checking them but they should take at least 8 hours. Dry when crisp ;)

Until they are dehydrated. Not a funny answer, but true. Once you do it then you will know for next time.

If you dehydrate at 100 degrees it will take several days if you have much humidity. If your taking the seeds out before you dehydrate then you can go up to 125 or so and still hold most of the color and it will take alot less time. Just dry them until they break when you flex them. Then you know their dry enough.

I need to get me a good dehydrator with different temps. The one I have just has one setting...hot as HELL! Most pods all turn out a brownish tint.

I also had the same question. I dried one yellow 7pod and two fatallis. Its pretty humid here in sugar land, tx. I put my setting at 105. After 24 hours, i looked, and it was still bendy, but was really wrinkled. I put it in the coffee grinder and made flakes. Really bright yellow flakes. Is there a problem with have not totally-dry flakes which crunch if you press on them?

thanks.

If you are going to make a powder and you grind them up before they are completely dry you will get a "clumpy" mess. However you can take that same mess, put it on a paper towel and go back in the dehydrator. Since there is more open surface area on the particles now the powder should dry much quicker.

I recently did this with about 25 Carolina Cayenne pods, in a dehydrator set @ 125, in Florida. Even after 3 days the pods still had some moisture.
1 More day in the dehydrator post grinding, and I was good to go. It helps quite a bit if you cut the pods into much smaller pieces to begin with.

Well its not like i'm gonna start selling powders so I have all the time in the world. I guess Ill do two different batches and experiment. Ill try some at 125 degrees and some at 100 and see what type of colors I get.

You might also want to check the actual temperature on your dehydrator, as opposed to what the dial says. From talking with others, I know I'm not the only one whose dehydrator dial and actual temp don't quite match up.

Well heres my first batch. i dried it a 105 degrees for 24 hours. I'd say the colors are still there.

dried.JPG

Back