how do I get the frigg'n pourer off the bottle? (... and the pepper in?)

Hi there,

not sure if I should post this here or over at the "fun" forum :D

I want to infuse booze - and seem to fail on the first inch into this project  :shh:

I need to get the damn pourer off the glass bottle !!!!

2E15E59D-orig_zps82d6fa1b.jpg

C75D4F9A-orig_zps7cebe811.jpg

dont get me wrong - I can always use brute force, but it seems that the lower part of the pourer holds the thread for the screw-on-cap ... so if I manage to break it, I am ... well screwed :D

I am sure that there is a "smart" way to get the thingy out ... it seems to be made out of 2 or 3 pieces...

pls help

cheers, Al

+1 twist it off gently..
the other option would be to rebottle it then attempt the removal.. if you break it then you dont contaminate the booze with glass shards. I would suggest using a large mouth canning jar then you can put the peppers in a sunny window for about a week to get all the flavor out of the pepper and into the booze.. I also suggest you cut the peppers in half. If you leave them in too long the peppers will lose all the color..
So all that said,
cut the peppers in half, put on a big mason jar add booze, let sit for a week or two..( the flavor gets stronger the longer you let it sit..)  strain out the "old " peppers
Re pour into the stopperless original bottle. you could add a second round of peppers for show but not for flavor.
enjoy..

I did that with a blanco vodka and it made killer bloody marys..

Al-from-Chile said:
Hi there,

not sure if I should post this here or over at the "fun" forum :D

I want to infuse booze - and seem to fail on the first inch into this project  :shh:

I need to get the damn pourer off the glass bottle !!!!

2E15E59D-orig_zps82d6fa1b.jpg

C75D4F9A-orig_zps7cebe811.jpg

dont get me wrong - I can always use brute force, but it seems that the lower part of the pourer holds the thread for the screw-on-cap ... so if I manage to break it, I am ... well screwed :D

I am sure that there is a "smart" way to get the thingy out ... it seems to be made out of 2 or 3 pieces...

pls help

cheers, Al

try to dip the plastic part of the bottle in hot water for 30 seconds (just under boiling point, so the plastic gets softer).
Then use a warm towel (so it doesent rapidly cool and u dont burn yourself) to yank the suckr off.
I had this problem a few days ago too :) worked just fine for me! It will still require some force but its easier
and the glass wont break.

Greetz,

Oli

Well finally, I used all my years of education in the best schools and finest universities, ran my fingernail from top to bottom and noted a fine joint ...

drove a swiss army knife in the joint, slipped, sliced off a good chunk of me :D ... but finally the part that goes into the bottle-neck budged and separated (so did the flesh from my bones.... ;)  )

well - that was that ... 

7AD55453-orig_zps2f05f204.jpg

how much pepper do you use to infuse say 750ml of Vodka? ... (we are talking Fatalii here) ...

- would one suffice, or should I aim for more?
- how long do you let it sit in there? indefinitely?
- room temp ok?
- any other pointers?

thx for sharing your experiences 

cheers,

Al  :shh: (sucking blood from finger)

PS: THX!!!! you are a great group of folks!!!

I used 3 fatalii's and it was unbearable

i still have it from like 5 years ago

1 is more than enough with holes poked in it

Dried pods work best. Yup. Fresh have water. Dried become rehydrated but with the liquor and this action helps distribute the pepper flavor, which is also better than fresh, as it is more of a pepper flavor, and has less of the fresh bite. Plus being fresh you'll never get all the flavor out because the water is a barrier, and the dried works like a flavor releaser as it rehydrates.

Well, in my experience.

The Hot Pepper said:
Dried pods work best. Yup. Fresh have water. Dried become rehydrated but with the liquor and this action helps distribute the pepper flavor, which is also better than fresh, as it is more of a pepper flavor, and has less of the fresh bite. Plus being fresh you'll never get all the flavor out because the water is a barrier, and the dried works like a flavor releaser as it rehydrates.

Well, in my experience.
And lightly smoked and dried = outer body experience. 

I was thinking just that. Never tried it but for bloody mary's sounds awesome with a touch of smoke.

Actually I've done chipotle (sauce) bloody mary's so yeah!

The Hot Pepper said:
I was thinking just that. Never tried it but for bloody mary's sounds awesome with a touch of smoke.

Actually I've done chipotle (sauce) bloody mary's so yeah!
The exact drink it works perfect with and adds a great depth especially with an awesome HOT horseradish base! I wish I had the things I know now back when I bartended! Now I just have to do them for me and friends, their gain I suppose.

Hot is finely, freshly grated, as it loses potency over time (2 weeks it is weak) and the finer, the hotter.

Al-from-Chile said:
hot horseradish gets you into wasabi territory, right ?...  :drooling:
Well 2 different roots, a good horse radish gives you the same nasal burn you feel but the flavor is amazing. In good sushi places they will actually shave fresh wasbi and offer it for folks usually sitting at sushi bar. This is nothing like the powder you can buy and add water, which is severed to most 99% of the time. It is hard to find a really good horseradish but when you do remember the brand and hang on tight! 

Back