• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

consistency How Do I Thicken Buffalo Wing Sauce?

Greetings,

I am making authentic buffalo wing sauce - Frank's and butter with some added vinegar, but I find that it's too watery and runny - it doesn't really stick to the meat. It's more like drenching the meat.

I would prefer to thicken the sauce without adding other sauces or foods that might change the authentic buffalo wing taste - like adding ketchup/tomato paste for example.

Is it just a matter of keeping on the stove longer to reduce? Typically I just heat it up, stir and mix it with the wings - so how long would I need to simmer to thicken it generally speaking?

I have added some photos below just so you can see what I am talking about and the kind of thickness consistency I am looking for. If anyone has any specific recipes for a thicker buffalo wing sauce, that would be great as well.

Thank you very much.

FW

Duffs.jpg
Buffalo_Wings.jpg

Freewheeler said:

... I would prefer to thicken the sauce without adding other sauces or foods that might change the authentic buffalo wing taste - like adding ketchup/tomato paste for example.

Ingredients commonly used as thickeners include Xanthan gum, Guar gum, Arrowroot and, to a lesser extent, Cornstarch. Generally speaking, a little goes a long way, so I'd start with small amounts and increase gradually. I don't think any of these will alter flavor. Personally, I'd start with Arrowroot.

Good luck with your challenge. :)

I use cornstarch to thicken my wing sauce plus simmering to reduce along with properly frying the wings as mentioned above should give you the wings your after.
As a side note try subbing in some Sriracha. Say like 50/50 Sriracha/Franks and a bit of honey to the butter. This will be thicker and taste incredible!

Try an unflavoured gelatin that may give you another type of texture to your Buffalo. Cornstarch I think someone has already said - yeah try that or the gelatin - Be a Wingmaster and play around - and keep a pad and pen on you! Write it down!

Back