• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

How Do You Chop Your Peppers?

I like to make fresh salsa, no cooking.  I've got the peppers and tomatoes but it's taking too much time for me to chop with a knife.  My technique is lacking.  How do you do it?   Knife tricks?  Food processor? Chop-a-matic?  Chipper-shredder?  Slicer/dicer?  Cask n cleaver?  Mortar and pestle??
 What are some of the tricks of the trade?

I use a small food processor and do decent size batches at a time. It makes a paste which will mix thoroughly into your salsa. I put about 1-1/2 TBS in a "designated" ice cube tray, then freeze. a great way to preserve / use chiles.

And hear me now, believe me later... wear eye protection. gloves don't hurt either.

How much are you making that a knife isn't doing the trick for you? Fresh salsa doesn't last forever, so I only make small batches - just what I want to eat within the next couple of days. My approach depends on the desired consistency, and ranges from knife to food processor to blender. Sometimes a combo.

geeme said:
How much are you making that a knife isn't doing the trick for you? Fresh salsa doesn't last forever, ...

Well.. my house ain't as kosh as some.  We have a three minute rule.  I use lime and vinegar and perhaps it ain't really fresh salsa, it lasts for weeks in the refrigerator.

Mezzaluna ALL THE WAY...  a well made forged steel one with a good heft. Pile peppers and other ingredients on a wood cutting board (onion, cilantro, etc.), and rock the mezzaluna, while changing the angle... awesome salsa. Not square dices, you can go from a rough chop to very fine pieces, and the blade's action releases aromatics. Not like a food processor, it's more rustic, and you will taste the difference, believe it or not. A food processor will chop it fast and clean, this has a crush-then-cut action, pinching the edges right before the cut, kinda like crushing basil or mint in your hand. Oils and aromatics are released that aren't with a clean cut.

However, dice the tomatoes with a knife. This is for the firm ingredients and herbs only, from my experience.
This...
mezzaluna_ingredients.jpg

becomes this...
mezzaluna_chopped.jpg

but I like to chop it all together. All the flavors mingle and then you just brush it into a bowl.

Here's a quality one (shown above):
http://www.slowfoodandhandforgedtools.com.au/order/order.php

Ebay always has cool vintage ones!
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xvintage+mezzaluna&_nkw=vintage+mezzaluna&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Helltaco said:
Mortar and pestle??

These are great too for crushing and turning ingredients into paste etc. but certainly won't speed anything up.  :lol:

However, good for your arsenal. Everything by hand is better. :)

Blender works for pureed salsas, except NOT the tomatoes! They froth up in the blender. Excellent for a smooth pepper salsa.

I got one of these for my birthday one year after a friend took a trip to Alaska. it's called a Ulu and works great for chopping. This one isn't mine, in storage, but mine is similar to it. Same principle as your Mezzaluna boss.

Ulu_zps1b489f4a.jpg

Back