• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How do YOU grow?

What is your favored method of planting?

• Total voters
As i am one of those people who has very limited land to grow, container is my friend, i can even hang them if i should, and they wont die.

As i am one of those people who has very limited land to grow, container is my friend, i can even hang them if i should, and they wont die.

That is true. I think I might want to try a greenhouse next and hopefully limit the number of pests, control temp, etc.

Containers, raised bed, and in-ground. Didn't have time to make a raised bed this year (new house) or amend our soil for in-ground. Raised beds worked amazing for me last year. 200+ peppers harvested in October on each of my Naga Jolokia plants.

I used 4 2x12's and some timber to timber connectors from Home Depot, lined the bottom with old newspaper and then amended the soil to drain better. Every pepper I put in there took off....

I am doing containers for the second year this year as a supplement and experiment. I also just put them in the damn ground and plant them in rows.
Depending on the type of plant I've seen great success with all the ways I've tried.

Superhots I put in containers on a cement area that floods when I irrigate (when the pump is on there is a leak in the old irrigation pipes there). For normal peppers I plant 3 rows wide, staggered in a 3.5 foot bed.

gardenMay012.jpg

planting day

I have em in containers and in raised beds yet I voted for containers because of versatility. Love the air pruning pots!

Superhots I put in containers on a cement area that floods when I irrigate (when the pump is on there is a leak in the old irrigation pipes there). For normal peppers I plant 3 rows wide, staggered in a 3.5 foot bed.

gardenMay012.jpg

planting day

Wow! That is a huge growing space!

i voted for everything except reaised beds, as i dont have space for raised beds on the property, i do however grow indoors, hydro, outside in containers on the deck, and in rows at a neighbours empty lot.

i just love it all :)

I have everything on benches. Containers / Foxfarms soil for most and a drip system for my superhots. I have 2 great danes and if they werent up where they are, they'd be mulch.

The only thing I dont like about pots is all of the transplanting, but theres just something I really like about having them in those. I want to try hydro at some point because its always fascinated me. I have no idea where to start though.

Doug,
But Mother Nature sure blessed Costa Rica. You are a smart son of a gun, moving there!
Is there anything that doesn't grow well somewhere in Costa Rica?
Beautiful country, beautiful people ! Best wishes and good growing.
Pura Vida. The only thing I can't find here is a decent Kiwi but I'ma working on it !
The first time I came here was in 1984.I "knew" this was the place for me. 20 years, a busted up back, knees, hips and a head full of gray hair later, I was able to pull it off.

A lil story that partly sealed the deal.
March of 84, on my birthday, sitting at an open air diner eating coconut shrimp and a fruit platter.
GF, being a smart ass, tells the waiter it's my birthday. Out comes the girls singing feliz cumpleanos.
The manager comes over and says "dessert is on the house", what would you like".
Welllllllllllllllll hmmmmm coconut shrimp requires coconut ice cream. All of a sudden I see a dish wash kid come out from the back and jump on his bike. 10-15 minutes later he walks in the door, huffing and puffing with a bag in his hand.
They didn't have coconut ice cream but the manager sent this kid down the road to get me some. Amazing.

i'm a shower... or if it's really cold, a grower...

but right now containers... i need to make move the chicken coops and goats to plant in the ground soon... but until then containers FTMFW!...

It can depend on how much space you have and where there's enough sun. Given the space and sun, rows in the ground works out best for lower maintenance and access to them. The rows don't necessarily need to be raised if the soil has good drainage.

My space is more limited, I've done rows but they had to be near a field that was always full of waist high weeds (not my property) and it became too much of a chore to deal with that and the wild animals so I now plant where spots are available around the house and in pots on a patio. Pots on the patio are less desirable to me as I have to water them much more often, though I am needing to weed them less often and insects attack them less on the patio.

No the farm is a few miles from my home. I started at $20 for rent for the season and paid them $200 this season for 1/2 acre with irrigation and use of the barn. Nothing is being done on the remaining land but it was a huge potato farm some years ago.

Back