• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How do YOU grow?

What is your favored method of planting?

• Total voters
This is my first year really growing and my container plants are leaps and bounds ahead of the plants in the ground. BUT, this is also the first year I have broke this ground too. Mabye next year my dirt will be in better shape.

Just put them in the ground works for me------but due to a short season, all long season plants start indoors.
1/3 to 1/2 of the season will be indoors next year. For peppers.
Some exceptional examples that survive the wind and variable temperatures will get dug up and brought indoors for winter to use as breeders.

So are the rows just something you have to keep up with or maybe I made mine wrong?

if you use plastic mulch, your rows won't wash away...you can run drip tube under the mulch for irrigation or fertigation also

if you use plastic mulch, your rows won't wash away...you can run drip tube under the mulch for irrigation or fertigation also

You can do it like this

IMG_20120530_064143 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Cuts down on weeding, fertilizing, watering, tilling, and pests. Also prevents root zone overheating (which plagued my container plants last year). I am really glad I went for this experiment this year as we are looking at 104-106 degree days for the next week. My remaining plants in containers are completely screwed.

yup...that's what I'm talkin' about...

i do all of the above growing except hydro... the plants seem to do best if you just put them in the damn ground and let them support each other and create microclimates... it cuts down on the weeding too since they just blot out the sun. container gardening also gets a plus because you can overwinter easier.

My plants seem to get a little leggy. To create the microclimate should I trim some off of the tops if I was to plant in the ground?

Back