• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds How do you keep records of your seeds?

nice ideas guys but the question is how do you keep your records of what seeds you have, not how you keep the seeds.
I don't think those two things in these cases are mutually exclusive. They are explaining how they store them and at the same time this explains how they record them/know what they have. Well that's how I read it??

I have a word document organized by where I got the seeds. All my seeds have been repacked in seed envelopes I made from paper bags, labeled with all corresponding info.

I also have this broken down farther into other word documents for individual varieties : tomatoes, peppers, herbs n lettuce, etc.

I have just over 2000 varieties/strains and hybrids, most of them documented where they come from, descriptions, photos etc etc...and they are all stored in a thermostatically controlled wine refrigerator
how do you document them? notebook? spreadsheet? other?

I have just over 2000 varieties/strains and hybrids, most of them documented where they come from, descriptions, photos etc etc...and they are all stored in a thermostatically controlled wine refrigerator

Great idea. You would be able to keep the temps constant without risk of freezing or overheating and they would be able to be dialed in to 1 degree or so. Brilliant. How long before you start noticing loss of seed viability using the wine fridge JR?? 3-4 years??

mine are on an appropriately labeled paper plates the same one they where dried on and then stuffed inside a 1 gallon zip lock bag, my sales list are on word doc's, i have them in totes and moving boxes, and my smaller quantities are in a LARGE FLAT RATE BOX

seems to work well, yeah i have do a little hunting but it never takes long

Keep an Excel spreadsheet indicating variety, hardiness, month that it matures, height, and comments (hot, good in salsa, good for powder, etc.). It is not too teribly time consuming and it makes planning next year's grow much easier . It also allows for more catharsis of obsessive/compulsive pepper thoughts...

I use the "Oh crap" method. That's where you put sticky notes on all the cups then as you are carrying them down the stairs you accidentally trip and all the seeds end up scattered all over the floor.​
Not a perfect system, but it works for me.​
iv tried that with paper plates, not a fan.

Right now I just have all the bagggies they came in stuffed in a box with a lid. after this grow i will use a differant system and a spread sheet.

CK7V1.png

This....is awesome

When I started I had all my seeds in groups according to source in sandwich bags but if you can't remember its a pain to go through if you need to find out how much or what you have. I have a crap memory so now I use a spreadsheet. It can be a PITA to log all the info in but it's seriously useful when you need to know anything. I use open office spreadsheet, so its free if you don't want to pay for ms office.

I roughly count the individual seeds and record that, also germination attempts and results. By a bit of copying and sorting you can see which vendors get good germination, which ones give you lots of seeds, which ones count out the exact number of seeds every time, etc. I'm also going to start recording number of pods and hopefully if I get a lot I'll weigh harvests.

Excell spreadsheet printed off for each year kept in a clear sleeve in a binder. I love slpknt's visual planted layout! Gonna have to figure whats this open office thingy..............

http://www.openoffice.org/
It is basically does everything the same as Microsoft Office but its free.

Like it for more than price. I've only used the spreadsheet and word processor but I find it easier to use than ms and it has less crap that annoys you.

I use Notepad to do my personal grow list and my garden layout is just a sketch on a bit of paper, usually a bit of scrap paper like an old envelope or something. :lol:

Sometimes I start fancying up the grow list in Open Office Calc but never seem to finish it!

Excel is the way I go... also I use this formula for counting the number of days =DATEDIF(D9,F9,"d")

Variety
# Seeds Per Pellet
# Of Pellets
Date Planted
Expected Germination Date
Actual Germination Date
# Days For Germination
Harvest Time (Days)

Back