• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How do you raise your peppers?

How do you raise your peppers?

• Raised Beds

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Pots

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • In the gorund

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
here is an alternative to wood...and it will last a lot longer than I will..

cementfarmja6.jpg

here are some pics showing the inside...

these are common cinder blocks...the bed is 16" wide inside and 40 feet long...it is one block (8" off the ground), then three blocks deep (24")...the bottom of the bed (that is 8" off the ground) is the cheapest 16" square tile I could find...

1sttomatoplantout031308ef9.jpg

cinder block dimensions : 8" X 8" X 16"

these pics were taken the first of last season...

paint it...even a mural on the side...you should check Pepperfreaks beds out...he painted his...

wait, wait, wait...you saying my bed is ugly... (J/K)....

this is MY back yard and the wife is only allowed to come out there when invited... (yeah, right

I forgot you are in Connecticut...you gotta remember, I am in Cowtown

no question....Texas...

newhotstuff said:
How do I make those to look aesthetic? Wife wont let me put those in the backyard less it looks artsy

Along with painting them they also sell the cap blocks that go on top so there won't be any holes. You can also do some creative landscaping around them. Obviously whatever you plant would still need to give you access to your plants. You could possibly plant things down at the ground level and space them so they correspond to the gaps between the peppers in your raised bed. I don't know if that came out as clear as I wanted it, but hopefully you get the idea.

I'm letting the garden plot fallow for a year because it's always had peppers....

I seem to have better luck with pots and containers. They also allow for easy overwintering which favors long season varieties anyway.

I'm also more picky about my peppers and pots provide the ease of moving from one spot to another to allow optimizing the sun/shade for the more difficult peppers.

Earthboxes are also one of my preferred methods for sweet bells which I cook with a LOT.

Silver_Surfer said:
Bama transplant? Or ya just pic that nick randomly.

From lurking here for a bit, I've seen AJ living in Florida, Alabama, an' Texas... should we have a new forum titled "where in the world is AlabamaJack?"

Silver_Surfer said:
Ah, so he's as mobile as his containers, but I'd dislike the job of havin' to move his container forrest. :shocked:

Maybe it's possible by now he's employed some Ents from Middle Earth to do his bidding. Ents... can I get these guys on EBay??? [POTAWIE... have you been sharing trade secrets and not informing the rest of us?]

SumOfMyBits said:
Maybe it's possible by now he's employed some Ents from Middle Earth to do his bidding. Ents... can I get these guys on EBay??? [POTAWIE... have you been sharing trade secrets and not informing the rest of us?]

Some of his plants are large enough to be Ent offspring. :!:

Silver_Surfer said:
Bama transplant? Or ya just pic that nick randomly.

I grew up either in Alabama or within 4 or 5 miles from the Alabama line in south Mississippi or extreme west Florida...plus my great great grandfather lived in Alabama, his name was Jack, and he was a riverboat gambler, thus the name AlabamaJack.

SumOfMyBits said:
should we have a new forum titled "where in the world is AlabamaJack?"

you wouldn't have to look further than Fort Worth, Texas for the rest of my life...

scarpetti said:
It can also be used as a bunker or bomb shelter if war breaks out! Right?

haven't thought of that but it would make for good cover...

back on subject...

the reason I don't grow in the ground is it would take me a long time to "build the soil" and growing in containers or in my raised bed allows me to blend my own mix to grow in...

AlabamaJack said:
the reason I don't grow in the ground is it would take me a long time to "build the soil" and growing in containers or in my raised bed allows me to blend my own mix to grow in...

How much of your container mixes do you reuse? I know about crop rotation in the ground, does it ever have to be done with container soil? Just wondering- I can see you're doing it right at any rate. I'm a container idiot.

If building your soil up is that arduous, it must be the same kinda soil I have. Takes awhile to get stuff other than palms cactus and iceplant to do well in it.

boutros said:
How much of your container mixes do you reuse? I know about crop rotation in the ground, does it ever have to be done with container soil? Just wondering- I can see you're doing it right at any rate. I'm a container idiot.

If building your soil up is that arduous, it must be the same kinda soil I have. Takes awhile to get stuff other than palms cactus and iceplant to do well in it.

I'm on my 3rd year with my old Miracle Grow soil. It still seems to be working and I had a ton of pods last year with it. All I do is poke holes with a sharpened welding rod for aeration and stick in 3 Jobe's plant spikes for food. Water and sunshine do the rest. The way I look at it is, trees keep growing every year, who changes their soil?

Back