• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How do you seeding for an hydroponics system? (DWC)

The way that I do it is to let my seedlings germinate in some rapid starter cubes. I keep them watered and in a relatively high humidity area using a mister bottle. I do this until they are of a good size, and have a few roots growing out of the cube.

At that point they look similar to this:
trjCn.jpg

Once they have reached the stage of growth where the roots are coming out of the sides of the cubes, I take my netpot and layer a single layer of hydroton onto it. I then carefully place my cube onto the hydroton, and start adding hydroton around the cube so that it will be supported. When I'm done with this, I usually have a single layer of hydroton on top of the cube.

Then I transplant it into my DWC system, and make sure that the water doesn't touch the cube, but that there is a gap of air where the water can bubble onto the cube.

I don't know how well I explained it, but I can draw a diagram if needed.

^^ Thats great advice. I do the exact same thing but I use rockwool cubes instead of rapid starter cubes. With rockwool I usually soak them for a few seconds, pour out the water. Repeat. Then I let the cubes soak in 6 pH water for 20 minutes or so. Place my seeds into the rockwool cube then place into a plastic container that I put tons of holes in.

Once the roots start poking out I place them into hydroton in the netty cups, just like ido mentioned.

I do almost the same as idosimon. Once I see about a 1/2 in of root coming out the bottom I transplant. The trick is having a long enough root that will hang into the water while leaving space for starter plug above the water not touching. As the roots start to get longer you can lower the water level.

The way that I do it is to let my seedlings germinate in some rapid starter cubes. I keep them watered and in a relatively high humidity area using a mister bottle. I do this until they are of a good size, and have a few roots growing out of the cube.

At that point they look similar to this:
trjCn.jpg

Once they have reached the stage of growth where the roots are coming out of the sides of the cubes, I take my netpot and layer a single layer of hydroton onto it. I then carefully place my cube onto the hydroton, and start adding hydroton around the cube so that it will be supported. When I'm done with this, I usually have a single layer of hydroton on top of the cube.

Then I transplant it into my DWC system, and make sure that the water doesn't touch the cube, but that there is a gap of air where the water can bubble onto the cube.

I don't know how well I explained it, but I can draw a diagram if needed.
Is that a weed seedling? Those leaves look strangely like one.

Back