• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How does it go from one to many so fast?

A couple of years ago no one had heard of the Bhut Jolokia, the 7 Pot, the Trinidad Scorpion and who knows what else. In a very short period of time we go from one to many ie., the 7 Pot to the yellow 7 Pot, Jonah 7 Pot, the Douglah 7 Pot and who know what else. How does this happen? Is it by accident? Someone will plant the "original" 7 Pot next to a chocolate Habanero and they cross and wallah, Chocolate 7 Pot? They plant those seeds a few times find out they're stable and that's it?

Thanks.

I also think it's different strains of the same pepper emerging. Personally, I think the yellow 7 Pot is kinda a made up name for an exceptionally hot yellow chinense. The 7 pot is its own thing, and someone just had a reeeeealy hot ass yellow chinense pepper in trinidad and called it yellow 7 pot. The douglah? I've got no clue. I think it's a whole different pepper in and of itself. It's probably got roots in the 7 pot, as is evident by the pimpling and shape, but from the pics I've seen of the inside, I'm guessing it's got whole nother thing goin on with it.

Just my 2cents... I think the names can often be misleading. As Shakespeare said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." A Douglah by any other name would still wreck some serious ass.

We're not purists here, We're mostly heat freaks!!! Our goal is not for pure peppers that date back to the 1st century, it is the hottest of the hot! And just like the pot heads who keep crossing to get the most potent varieties we will cross in search of hotter peppers! COME TO THE DARK SIDE PEPPER LOVER! MUAHAHAHAHA

If Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet we would all be growing Orange Habaneros!
Seriously,if you think there are a lot of peppers,check out Orchid Taxonomy.
In the Caribbean they are developing peppers for their livlyhood,and they are very good at it.see CARDI

patrick said:
A couple of years ago no one had heard of the Bhut Jolokia, the 7 Pot, the Trinidad Scorpion and who knows what else. In a very short period of time we go from one to many ie., the 7 Pot to the yellow 7 Pot, Jonah 7 Pot, the Douglah 7 Pot and who know what else. How does this happen? Is it by accident? Someone will plant the "original" 7 Pot next to a chocolate Habanero and they cross and wallah, Chocolate 7 Pot? They plant those seeds a few times find out they're stable and that's it?

Thanks.

That is a great question and one that I have been wondering about myself. So, is the 7 pot/pod, Jonah, Trinidad Scorpion and Yellow 7 pot/ pod all distinct varieties or are they hybrids? I think that the 7 pot/pod is a distinct variety whereas not so sure about the others. For example the yellow 7 pod/pot....cross between a fatalli and 7 pot?

Please do enlighten me here

Well I have been "hearing" about the 7 pot for at least 10 years, just couldn't find seeds till Allen Boatman made a friend named "Jonah" from
Trinidad that supplied him with a few seeds which he shared with me. There
was never any mention of any other colors till after the initial introduction of the 7 pot, maybe they were always there and no one ever
mentioned them, or it was a natural evolutionary development of the
pepper in a never ending cycle of trying to become the "Alpha" pepper.
Either way its a helluva a lot of fun! Enjoy.

ButchT

ButchT is it possible or probable that most 7 pot seeds that are being planted today in the states came from those original seeds?

CARDI starting producing the 7pot/Scorpion strains in 2005 on wards but looks like the 7pot was around a lot longer.. then that,most of the original peppers where produced and obviously cultivated on by various individuals in t&t.The Douglah or Chocolate 7pot is a cross between a 7pot and another local pepper,
cultivated over time to get the product we have now,The yellow 7pot my favorite has a superb taste,the orange 7pot is also tasty..we will see.Plus there is a yellow scorpion,orange and chocolate scorpion.The latest edition`s we will here about soon..

OK I have a question. These peppers are crosses. They are alot hotter than the peppers used to cross them. For example, the Bhut Jolokia... a cross but now the hottest pepper around.

What is the biology that causes these crosses to spike the capsaicin in these peppers? Is it simply a geneological exploitation of some sort?

Any explanations?

Thanks!

Binganero said:
OK I have a question. These peppers are crosses. They are alot hotter than the peppers used to cross them. For example, the Bhut Jolokia... a cross but now the hottest pepper around.

What is the biology that causes these crosses to spike the capsaicin in these peppers? Is it simply a geneological exploitation of some sort?

Any explanations?

Thanks!

The bhut jolokia only has a very small percentage of frutescens genes. It is probably only about 3% frutescens not half and half. It probably got cross pollinated by accident once a long time ago then backcrossed with the original chinense parent many times.

I am sure the scorpion and the 7pot are closely related. It bet the bhut/nagas are also somehow related to the 7pot and scorpion since they both have that bumped look and I don't know of any other peppers that look like that.

This is from the NMSU experiment
The taxonomic relationship of ‘Bhut Jolokia’ based on RAPD markers placed ‘Bhut Jolokia’ in a taxonomic position between C. chinense and C. frutescens with ‘Bhut Jolokia’ clustering more closely with the C. chinense group. The average genetic similarity between C. chinense and ‘Bhut Jolokia’ was 0.79, which is close to the 0.82 genetic similarity shared by the C. chinense accessions tested.

If pure chinense have a similarity of .82 to each other and a bhut jolokia scored a .79 that is mostly chinense. .79/.82=96.34%

Ok it also says that the similarity between frutescens and chinenses is .45 and between pure frutescens .85
It never gives a score for how the bhut scores against a frutescens.

Taking the .45 similarity between chinenses and frutescens into account I am still getting about 91.9% chinense.
.45(1-x) + .82x = .79, x=.919

was looking up this info when I noticed alawn beat me to it..anyways, here is a link (at end)
Thanks alawn...and somewhere (else, I guess), that 91.9% figure seems about right too...
. For example, there are 8 RAPD markers for C. chinese-specific and 3 RAPD markers for C. frutescens-specific
"The average genitic similarity between C. chinese and "Bhut Jolokia" was .79"
(just in case anyone wants to dig up some DNA in fo on this)

:shocked: :banghead:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...+tests&usg=AFQjCNFRq5rjMhRYdx7HcLk-pToP60nWGg

Patrick idk on the 7 pot seeds, I had Trinidad Scorpions a year b4
I received the 7 pot. I did save some seed but I was
hearing about 7 pots in Italy and Oz about the same time I was
growing them. There is also Yellow 7 pot, Douglah, and some others
growing in Trinidad also, if the other colors originated there or
were shipped there idk!

ButchT

Binganero said:

Any explanations?

Thanks!

In that question lies the meaning of life . . . the background, all genes blueprints for proteins, with structural like hemoglobin or functional like lipase. The functional proteins pretty much do one of two things, some act like on/off switches and the other ones build things, like dna, starch, capsaicin, etc.

When you cross, you get weird mixes of functional and structural proteins which give you some of the really weird looking hybrids. And in the functional group you get weird mixes of on/off switches and builders. Maybe in the bhut you get the chinense capsaicin builder and the frutescens capsaicin switch, but the frutescens switch doesn't fit on the chinense builder so it never turns off.

Imagine randomly throwing corvette and miata parts into a big box and shaking them until you get one of these. That's your bhut. But you probably could have had a million combos that were doorstops. And you could have had one of these instead, a tiny bitter bell.

Back