• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds How I start seedlings

I did this last year and again this year. One reason is I usually start dozens of seeds at a time and during the busiest time may transplant a couple hundred over 2-3 days. I needed a quick, yet efficient way of getting it done as well as having 99 percent of them survive.

These are the containers I use, at least when possible. Plastic to-go trays from a restaurant with small hole drilled in the bottom:

emptycontainer.jpg

Next, add about 1.5" of potting mix, preferably Ferti-lome; this isn't but only because no one has it available yet:

containerwithsoil.jpg

The tool I use to add seeds, one at a time:

planter.jpg

And adding the seeds:

planting.jpg

To be continued...

Mike

I cover the seeds with a finer mix, using a sifter to make sure it doesn't have any large pieces of junk. Not necessary if I have Ferti-lome:

sifter.jpg

This goes directly over the seeds, with a goal of 1/8 to 1/4" level. Afterwards, the container goes into a tub of aerated tap or rain water until it is completely soaked and then the cover is placed over it and it goes onto a heat source:

covered.jpg

In 10-14 days, hopefully the seeds look like this:

seedlings.jpg

Final stage next.

Mike

For most plants, I use 18 cell nursery flats. They are filled with potting mix, packed down and placed in a tub of water until they are also completely soaked, top to bottom, making a wet mix. I set them aside for a day.

18cells.jpg

Using my finger, I poke a hole in the mix. It being very moist helps keep the hole from crumbling:

pokehole.jpg

Next is to gently extract the small seedling from the tray, hopefully with lots of roots. It gets place in the hole and the mix packed around it:

roots.jpg

When done, it looks like this:

finished.jpg

This also goes into the tub of water and soaked again, then under lights.

BTW, this is cotton growing, though the first seeds were peppers!

Mike

I don't see why you don't just start them all in the cells and save time, trouble, and potential stress and root damage? You just need a dome or a sheet of plastic wrap to keep the humidity in.

1) Not all the seeds germinate, which would mean filling in holes or starting 2 or more seeds in each cell
2) Seeds do not germinate at the same time
3) Not all seedlings grow at close to the same rate
4) I can bury seedlings to their first set of leaves if I need to
5) I use a much finer mix for germination than I do for transplanting seedlings
6) Lack of room
7) I have great success this way and don't see a reason to change! :)

Mike

hey thats a good idea!!! I like it! I use jiff ypods with the grow dome and it works ok but like you said not all the seeds germinate the same rate and you have to redo some.

i would be careful using that metal thing to place the seeds in could possibly damage the seed. just my two cents all looks good also, don't take this the wrong way u seem to grow just fine but, when transplanting try using a tablespoon to just scoop the plant out that way roots are not exposed to anything than the soil and less shock and very easy just a thought looks good though keep it up!

Noshow,

You lost me. I use that to sift the mix that covers the seeds. The seeds go into the mix in the plastic tray.

I've used a spoon on some large plants such as the banana, but the toms, basil, peppers and even cotton tend to come out easily. I usually water them a couple of days before I intend to transplant them so the soil is a bit moist.

Mike

Nate,

I've never grown it before. :crazy: It's part of my fair project, specifically the "Strangers in Our Midst" section. I hope to have rice, cotton, cane sugar, coffee and Yicama growing. :cool: I also hope to sell a few of the plants as well as put one in the office window. From what I read, it is a perennial plant, so it should last for a while unless my black thumb gets too close!

Mike

I'll have to admit that's the first time I've seen cotton started in a seed flat. :D

To place small seed like peppers and tomatoes I moisten the tip of a wooden chopstick and the seed easily sticks to the end and releases when touched to the medium. Try it and I think you'll find it faster than using hemostats without any danger of crushing the seed.

Nice Sticky, Mike!

Silver_Surfer said:
I'll have to admit that's the first time I've seen cotton started in a seed flat. :D

To place small seed like peppers and tomatoes I moisten the tip of a wooden chopstick and the seed easily sticks to the end and releases when touched to the medium. Try it and I think you'll find it faster than using hemostats without any danger of crushing the seed.

Sweet idea...

Back