• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How many is too many...how may is not enough?

Excuse the spelling error in the title lol.

Im trying to zero in on a few different types of pods. I have about 9 bhut plants growing indoors that will be in 3 gallon containers. Ultimately though, what I would like to do is get three different types of super hots going indefinately indoors. What Im having a hard time deciding however, is how many plants I need to keep myself well loaded.

Im kind of thinking Ill end up with bhut, fatalli, and possibly one other type ... probably a 7 pot variety or scorpion. How many plants of each do you think Ill need in three gallon containers to keep myself well supplied? I realize theres a lot of variables but as a general rule how many pods are you guys getting per pull per plant?

I was thinking maybe six plants of each type in 3 gallon containers... but maybe thats an overkill?? After all it is only myself and lindsey, which on a side note ... for a woman .. shes got a hell of a tolerance ;)

What do you guys think? Maybe I could get away with three or four plants per type but that might be cutting it pretty short - or be more then sufficient Im not sure. I can only judge by my peach hab plant. Its about three years old and I got about 100 pods on this last harvest off it, although the different strains are different and will have different yields.

Can anyone make an educated guess? I only got about 12 pods off my single bhut plant I put outside in a container... but I planted it waaaaay late and it just started going when it got cold out so I cant really gauge off that.

Any input any of you could give me would be great!

Bhut plants are generally low producers. If you want something with a higher pod count, go with a Bih Jolokia, a Naga Morich, or something similar. If you flat out like the taste of Bhut's, then grow 1 or 2 plants, and grow the rest with the previously mentioned types.
Also, if you are wanting more pods, go with a bigger sized pot. Maybe a 5 gallon. The bigger the pot, the bigger the plant, in general.

I am sorry I don't really have any good information in terms of pod count. I am terrible at container growing and as a result grow most of my plants in raised beds. As for the number of plants, I really think that is dictated by your light setup (how many lights at how many watts). You might be better off planting fewer plants in larger containers.

If you start your plants early enough,you should easily get 60 pods per plant.I grow in 5 gal containers here in central Wi. and consider our growing season here really short, but have had great results.I usually start seeds in early Jan.to get a jumpstart on the season but alot of others here do as well.If you are looking for heavy yielding bhuts, try chocolate or yellow bhuts.I had huge yields off of these two this year!

It really depends on how much you consume. I cook fairly regularly with peppers in Thai food. I found that 4 Thai hots, 6 jalapeno and 4 bell pepper do me pretty good for my curries throughout the year.

I would also do with 5 gallon frosting buckets.

I appreciate the input guys.

At 60 pods per plant in 5 gallon containers .... I could get away with 3 plants per type I would think. However, I can fit more plants, and get better light penetration with 3 gallon buckets whereas in 5 gallon buckets I realize they'll yield more but I can only fit so many of them. Max height I could allow them to get is about 4' and I think in 5 gallon containers they'll get bigger then that. I guess the real question as mentioned above is how long will 100 pods last me lol

Im not sure, I know I go through them quickly when I have them and I do like to make sauce, and would like to make some powders too.

Bhut camp - your getting 60 pods per plant on the traditional bhut??

Anyone else have any input on how many pods their typically getting on fatalli plants? Scorpion? 7 pot? An average pod harvest and what size container you used for those types would really give me an idea on how to structure my grows.

larger pots will help out for sure. 3 gallons really isn't large enough to get the full potential of your plants. Also, I have had fuller plants if I top them rather than just let them grow naturally. I seem to get more pods off a bushier plant rather than a tall plant.

My bhuts seem to have a lower yield than plants from past years, even the bhuts in ground. While 9-12 plants will probably more satisfying to your chile needs, that is a lot of space and a lot of light.

OZZZ...you can top your plants, casuing them to be bushier. They will just grow OUT more than they grow UP.
As far as Fatali's and 7's...I would say, over a season, I got about 60-80 LARGE pods.

The regular bhuts I grow are from the chile pepper institute and my yields are consistently that high or better.My 7 pods and fatalli had similar success but for some reason the scorpions yielded less.I'm not sure if thats normal or not?

I hear ya ... and I agree. Heres the thing though ... if I was able to pull 60 pods per plant in a 5 gallon bucket (hypothetically speaking, as per the example above) then I really only would need three plants in 5 gallon buckets to suit my needs. For this particular grow I can only fit 4 plants in 5 gallon buckets. Thats 240 estimated pods (again hypothetically speaking). However I am able to fit 9 plants in three gallon buckets. 240/9 is only about 25 pods per plant that I need to match the production. The plants will remain smaller and are more manageable, so for this grow I decided to go more small plants vs. less larger ones.

See the reasoning? Maybe 25 pods per plant in a 3 gallon is unrealistic... but I wouldnt think so??? Maybe Im overlooking something though.

Ether way Ild really like to know what peoples fatalli, 7pot, and scorpion plants are putting out on average. If anyone has any input.

Oh I cross posted you guys ... I appreciate it!! That gives me about what I was needing to know.

Well for this grow I now have 9 beautiful plants I was planning on transplanting into 3 gallon containers soon. Your advice is to trash 5 of them and put 4 into 5 gallons and top?? lol ... that just seems wrong! :P

Im familiar with topping, and I realize 3 gallons is a bit restrictive, but I figured the sheer number of plants would make up for it.... but maybe Im mistaken.

OZZZ...you can top your plants, casuing them to be bushier. They will just grow OUT more than they grow UP.
As far as Fatali's and 7's...I would say, over a season, I got about 60-80 LARGE pods.

Gracias ... are these plants in ground or in containers? Im assuming you have them in 5 gal's?

i my self get more from my bhut jolokia then i do from my naga morich

+1

My CCN Bhut (raised bed) has given me probably 150 pods and is currently loaded with about 75 pods.
My NMSU Bhut (earth-tainer) just finally started putting out pods in Sept and has about 75 pods on it currently.

The CCN Bhut is about 5 1/2 feet tall, and the NMSU is about 4 1/2 ft(and the NMSU is 6 months older)

My Naga Morich is about 2ft, and has given me about 75 pods. The Fatali is about 3ft and given me about the same. And the Scorpion is about 4 1/2ft and given me about 20 pods(sadly). Out of the 20 varieties I grow, the top producers are Jamaican Hot Chocolate, CCN Bhut, Devils Tounge, and ceyanne.

Actually now that I think about it, all of the varieties I mentioned are from CCN except the NMSU Bhut and the ceyanne.

If you plan to grow the plant indefinitely then I'd grow less plants, and just let them get big potting them up when needed. I'd probably just grow one of each plant and train/top them to go bushy instead of tall. It won't take long before you run out of space/light indoors.
I've gotten 2500 pods from a naga morich outdoors which was much more than bhuts/bihs. Indoors 50-100 pods per flush would be a great load

Some real good info in this thread guys, I really appreciate it. Anyone got a line on some fatalli seeds I have a few types to trade but my list is rather short compared to most. Although I do have a buttload of different tomato varieties.

I have a growlog posted in growtech if you want to check it out.

I just topped all the plants this morning :onfire:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18521-bhut-growlog/

:dance: :dance:

I have some Fatali seeds for ya. PM me your info.
As far as your whole "situation" goes...honestly, either way is good. You're getting to the same place, just getting there a different way, know what I mean? Indoors, yeah, you will get less pods. MY plants were in 5 gallon buckets, outside. And also remember, different people have different climates, nutes, etc. Someone may get a TON of pods from the same seed stock, and the other may not get that many. Again, its all relative.
Whether you decide to go with the 5 gallon way, or the 3 gallon way, you can easily go to the other. If you use 3 gallon's, all you have to do is pot up. If you go the 5 gallon way, and they get way too out of control, just prune the plants a little, cut the roots down, and put them in the 3 gallon ones. Almost like over-wintering.
Either way, you'll be fine! Just make sure you hook the plants up with the right amount of light and nutes!!

I have some Fatali seeds for ya. PM me your info.
As far as your whole "situation" goes...honestly, either way is good. You're getting to the same place, just getting there a different way, know what I mean? Indoors, yeah, you will get less pods. MY plants were in 5 gallon buckets, outside. And also remember, different people have different climates, nutes, etc. Someone may get a TON of pods from the same seed stock, and the other may not get that many. Again, its all relative.
Whether you decide to go with the 5 gallon way, or the 3 gallon way, you can easily go to the other. If you use 3 gallon's, all you have to do is pot up. If you go the 5 gallon way, and they get way too out of control, just prune the plants a little, cut the roots down, and put them in the 3 gallon ones. Almost like over-wintering.
Either way, you'll be fine! Just make sure you hook the plants up with the right amount of light and nutes!!

Thanks HP!! PM sent.

I think thats the way Im going to go about it. I think Ill let them go through 1st harvest to see how they do in the 3 gallon containers. Then if I decide, as you mention, I can always go to 5 gallons at that time. If I were to end up do an extended indoor grow as discussed in my opening post. I wouldnt be using the same tent as in my growlog posted above. Im seriously considering getting a 4'x8' one and another 600HPS. If thats the case I could fit 24 - 3 gallon buckets so I have a lot of room to work with. Im guessing I could fit 10 - 5 gallons in an area like that. Either way if Im looking for a good supply of only three different strains I have more then enough room. Hell I could even add a couple chocolate habs and 7 pots.

Anyway Ill see how this grow goes and take it from there. Right now Im in a 4x4x6.5' tent with a digi600HPS (agromax bulb). Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Back