• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How many pods per plant would be normal?

Hi,

I find myself sitting and counting pods all the time. For instance, I have Naga Morich plants (9 of them) and Jonah Seven Pods (7 of them) and have around 20 to 25 Nagas on each Naga plant but only 5 to 10 Seven Pods. Seems pretty consistent for those 2 pepper types. My Purira (I only have one) has about 40 pods, while the Fatalii plants average about 6.

What I don't know, is what would a normal number of pods be? I don't know if I'm doing well or poorly. Am I the only one who sits and counts peppers on his/her plants? My wife thinks I'm in insane, by the way.

Thanks.

Hi,

I find myself sitting and counting pods all the time. For instance, I have Naga Morich plants (9 of them) and Jonah Seven Pods (7 og the) and have around 20 to 25 Nagas on each Naga plant but only 5 to 10 Seven Pods. Seems pretty consistent for those 2 pepper types. My Purira (I only have one) has about 40 pods, while the Fatalii plants average about 6.

What I don't know, is what would a normal number of pods be? I don't know if I'm doing well or poorly. Am I the only one who sits and counts peppers on his/her plants? My wife thinks I'm in insane, by the way.

Thanks.

Lol I count them too, then multiply by the amount of plants I have to get the estimate of the harvest.

All varieties are different.

I have 2 thai plants that now have about 150+ pods on each of them.

Then some cayenne with like 50 or so on each.

Again, All varieties are different.

There are to many variables to say. But, lets just say you have a good sized healthy plant and the weather is good in your zone. Avg amount of pods per plant would be 25-50 pods per plant

Does it not vary based on the pepper type? I ask this because I have grown (for example) red Scotch Bonnet peppers for a number of years and have had well over a hundred peppers on a plant, leading me to assume that the red Scotch Bonnet is a prolific plant. Like I said, the seven Pod consistently provides much fewer (even single digits) on each plant, even large healthy plants while all these plants are together in the same environment.

I am just wondering if anyone has thoughts about this subject. Does anyone have a seven pod plant with a hundred pods on it?

Thanks very much for your answer, by the way.

Lol I count them too, then multiply by the amount of plants I have to get the estimate of the harvest.

All varieties are different.

I have 2 thai plants that now have about 150+ pods on each of them.

Then some cayenne with like 50 or so on each.

Again, All varieties are different.

Yes! But what I would be interested in, is what would be a good number of peppers for each of the pepper types. Has anyone ever seen a discussion on that? I'd like to know if I'm doing well or not.

Thank you.

Too many variables as stated. First year bhuts and fataliis for me produce anywhere from 150-300 pods per plant. Second year and so on plants can do thousands. Post up some pictures so we can get a better idea.

AGH! 150 - 300 from BHUTS?!!!! I stopped growing them because the number of peppers was paltry and the Nagas did better (and tasted about the same.) I wish I lived in a location where the plants could live to be a ripe old age. Even potting plants up and over Wintering them, I don't find that they produce any more in the second year than first year plants do.

My next question, of course, is what you are doing differently from me (Besides succeeding, I mean.)

There are to many variables to say. But, lets just say you have a good sized healthy plant and the weather is good in your zone. Avg amount of pods per plant would be 25-50 pods per plant

+1. An exact number is impossible, but as the others have stated, a couple hundred per plant isn't unheard of the first year, and a marked increase the year after. Just be Zen about it, and let them grow & produce however many they were meant to :)

Yes, plant variety does make a difference in pod count as well. Different plants can put out more pods in different zones. Usually people that over winter their plants get more production out of their plants in the yrs to follow, keep this in mind for next season :)

In ground or container ? What size container ? what size is the plant ? Did you cull the first couple flowers or let the first pod set while the plant was small ? what's the weather like ? What soil are you using ? what Nutrients\fertilizers are you using ?

Each one of those things and many many others will contribute to the number of pods a plant can support.

In ground or container ? What size container ? what size is the plant ? Did you cull the first couple flowers or let the first pod set while the plant was small ? what's the weather like ? What soil are you using ? what Nutrients\fertilizers are you using ?

Each one of those things and many many others will contribute to the number of pods a plant can support.

Hi JDFan,

Even while I was asking the question, I had all those variables in my mind. My question isn't a scientific one. I was looking for anecdotal answers. How about if I break it down into an even simpler question: In your experience (and the experience of anyone else reading this post) how many peppers would you say you get per pepper type? Putting aside all the other things...which I acknowledge as important. Just ball-park. Even if you say about 25 seven pods; about 100 nagas; about 50 scotch bonnets.

Thanks all for your 2 cents.

Hi JDFan,

Even while I was asking the question, I had all those variables in my mind. My question isn't a scientific one. I was looking for anecdotal answers. How about if I break it down into an even simpler question: In your experience (and the experience of anyone else reading this post) how many peppers would you say you get per pepper type? Putting aside all the other things...which I acknowledge as important. Just ball-park. Even if you say about 25 seven pods; about 100 nagas; about 50 scotch bonnets.

Thanks all for your 2 cents.

Thing is even to try to ballpark it there is just so many variables --- the way I look at it if the plant is healthy and your getting pods your doing great !! -- right now I've got 2 Jalapeno plants - one has 2 pods currently but both plants have about a dozen or more pods forming -- 2 Thai hot ornamentals that have over 100 pods on each and still developing more - and 2 bhut jolokia's that are finally starting to develop flowers ( they were germinated in February ) - since we've had a bit of a break in the 100+ degree weather this week and some rain ( they are tiny buds right now but look like they might bloom in a couple weeks +\- ) -- if those blooms develop the plants will have 50 or so pods a piece but with our weather chances are a good percentage of those may drop off before blooming like the others have already (but the plants are healthy and growing larger so even if these do not develop that just means more pods will form as the branches split off more as the plant gets larger -- so hopefully by the end of our long season I'll be getting a bunch of pods from them (as long as they continue to stay healthy)

So if your plants are healthy and producing your doing good !!

There are ideals and there are the limitations imposed on the plant. In a great environment with a new plant started at the end of winter, given plenty of light and nutrients inside then transplanted to plenty of good soil (not pot bound), watered OFTEN (not the schedule most recommend) and fertilized well, with long days of bright sun but not excessive temperature, relatively warm nights and a late fall frost (Or the plant brought inside to finish what it started)...

I'm sure there are lots more variables I am not mentioning like an absence of insect attack, but the point is given good conditions you could have 400 or more large pods per plant. Now factor for less than optimal conditions especially early in the plant's life and the number could be anywhere between 0 and several hundred. Every little thing counts.

For example was it really sunny yesterday and today with 3/4" of rain this evening? Then I'll expect my plants to be an inch taller by the end of tomorrow which at their current size means they'll make another pair of nodes and twice as many blooms as they had for the last set of nodes. That's how it works generally speaking, the bigger and longer the pepper is growing the larger the increase in # of peppers produced. Some years, with many plants I feel that if I had only a month and a half longer I would have up to 50% greater seasonal yield per plant.

Often when I read that someone has a good sized plant without many peppers on it then I suspect one of two things happened. Either A) it didn't get enough light early on so it spent more energy on stems than leaves OR B) There was a hot spell or lack of water enough that it stopped blooming or aborted blooms.

Above I mentioned watering often instead of the schedule some recommend. This is a trade off, watering the minimum amount possible will give you hotter peppers while watering as much as the plant can use and trying to keep it from ever drooping will result in a larger plant and more peppers but not as hot. I'm not talking about a heat level difference of even 50% but a couple dozen percent difference might not be too far off.

I'm wondering how old your plants are. If they are first-year plants, you likely haven't seen but the start of the super-hot harvest yet, especially given how far north you are. Give it a while longer, and things should turn around.

That said, +++++ about all the variables involved. If you don't see a significant increase in the next month, your grow conditions might be less than ideal.

Back