• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How much Heat is to much for PUBES

Have been trying to grow Pubes Orange Manzo. Has not been doing well. Could it be the Heat??? Has been cool for 4 days and had alot of groth on All chilies here. Temp was under +32 C but over +26 C and no rain all chilies are looking better. I'd like to try Rocotos but worried about can they handel the HEAT????

Pubes like cooler temps. A lot of mine died this summer cause it was too hot. It seems they do best with temps in the 60s F.

My pubes survived the summer heat here in the deep south, but only set a few pods during the cooler temps of early summer and many more pods when the weather cooled this fall and I'm still waiting on them to ripen. Next season I plan to give them more shade and see how that goes as they definitely like cool weather.

they were difficult to get pods to set down here in 100 degreeville so as much as i love roccotos i stopped growing them a few years back. also , most of the descriptions have this one labled as not a good self polinater. most descriptions call for hand pollination. i didn't have time for that.

So not going to do well here as never really that cold here even in the winter. How About Habs types??? Have harvested some last year but never did very well but got better soil, better set up. And will see about this time. Thing I'm loving is the year round growing so plants have better chance of living,,, if not rained out or cooked by sun... LOL :mouthonfire:

About 8 months of the year are day & night temps of 100+ F 30+C then maybe alittle cooler at night like 29+c for 2 months then 2 months of maybe as cool as 26+C But still days of 30+C 100+F But never 60+F Don't think even as cool as 75+F here...

Has been a weird few days as has been as low as 28+C in the days and 26+C at night though Today was 30+C so ???? Ya

Personally I only put tobasco on my pubes.

haha okay I too had to make the joke.

I've been thinking of growing some pubes here over winter, seeing as how our winter is pretty much everybody else's summer haha.

My pubes grow in hot and cold weather, sorry I couldn't resist.........guess I should start looking for some rocoto/manzano type seeds for next year.

Why are you trying to grow orange PUBES? Wouldn't it be easier to just dye them? Whenever my PUBES get condensation on them, I know it's too hot(I know...I'm an idiot). Leave it to the North Americans to make stupid PUBE jokes! One more reason the rest of the world is so fond of us!

Have been trying to grow Pubes Orange Manzo. Has not been doing well. Could it be the Heat??? Has been cool for 4 days and had alot of groth on All chilies here. Temp was under +32 C but over +26 C and no rain all chilies are looking better. I'd like to try Rocotos but worried about can they handel the HEAT????

Do you have any background information about the origin Capsicum Pubescens variety that you are growing?

The two varieties I started from seed recently are responding differently to the local conditions.

I have wondered whether the varieties collected from lower elevations will do better in hot climates.

Things may turn around as have learned the plants where cooking in the small pots. Have repoted the living ones but unsure as whats alive still is a mix of Biships crown and Orange Manzon. Should be easyer to tell them apart as they get bigger, I hope... Will put some pixs up for you to see how small they are after about 2 months,,, not even 1 inch tall.

the plants where cooking in the small pots

For me that's a double edge sword, in the spring I want the young plants to have the warmth but then in the midst of summer the black containers can get hot to the touch but then fall sets in pretty fast an the plants require that heat again - I think that may have been one of the main reason I experienced so much flower drop this year. I have 2 carribean red plants both purchased at the same time, they were grown in cocount coir, 1 plant I took out of the coir pot and potted in the 1 gallon black container and the other I just broke away the coir to allow the roots growing space and packed potting soil around the coir pot. The container with the coir produced, the container with no coir drop every flower.

My spring and fall night time temperatures can get pretty cold then retain that cold well into the afternoon(I usually bring the plants inside at night). I have settled on 1 gallon containers for most of my plants due to ergonomics, summer months they fit perfectly into 5 gallon totes(6 per tote) and in the winter they fit perfectly on my south facing window ledge.

I've lived in Edmonton Alberta, so know about the Hots and colds of AB. I was born and rased in Vancouver the west end, the ??? end so know much about shaving and waxing, Eh. Sorry got some waxed friends very smooth. And back to hot and cold... Cocount coir ground up is what I use alot of now as is cheaper then most things. It should be the best as it breaths well and does not heat up to bad,,, can't tell you about the cold as with air con on full it does not get cooler then 23C in our room.

Still thinking I should have a easyer time growing chili here with less tricks then in Canada. Maybe white cover sheets will help abit with the heat from the sun. Its good the heat does not change much day to night, maybe? Last Hab I had Died with the friend taking care of it for 3 days so has made me very scared to go anywhere... LOL Had a good laugh with a friend of mine tonight about it,, LOL hes had the same trouble. His friend asked why they need water.

Friends are great fun, can never have to many. Some may even show smoothness

My pubes survived the summer heat here in the deep south, but only set a few pods during the cooler temps of early summer and many more pods when the weather cooled this fall and I'm still waiting on them to ripen. Next season I plan to give them more shade and see how that goes as they definitely like cool weather.
I noticed something very similar with my Rocoto Red this year. Flowers kept appearing, and then falling off. It tried to produce a couple peppers here and there in spring, and I was excited at first... but the two peppers it successfully started growing either rotted or... can't remember what happened to the other, but either way neither one of them made it to maturity.

Then summer hit. All of the plants started growing like wild, including the Rocoto. The Rocoto seemed to produce tons of flowers, but they always fell off the plant a couple days after opening. The summer here seemed to generally be between 80 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, and while the plant exploded with growth and flowers (probably thanks to the stronger sunlight) it still didn't produce a damn thing. But it sure looked healthy, and was otherwise growing good. I noticed sometime in late spring or early summer many holes appearing in leaves on the plant--so something was targeting it over all the other potted plants on the porch. Whatever it was, after several attempts to catch it/them in action, I tried to stop it with liquid Sevin (hey, if it's not gonna produce anything to eat anyway, and it's not in the ground... why not?). I should mention that the plant received full morning sun, and was shaded the rest of the day, being blocked by a west wall. This was intentional, as I have read about pubescens doing better with some shade and cooler temps if possible. So apparently even just morning sun with, say, 70-75+ degree daytime temperatures still won't help.

Fast forward. The temperatures dropped, quick. So was my patience. It felt like fall was approaching, and I was tempted to give up on that damn plant and throw it out because I have yet to see a single ripened Rocoto on it. And then all of a sudden, I walked outside one day to water the plants and... what the...?! A ripe, red Rocoto. Where the hell did that come from? I have no idea... but it renewed my faith in the plant. Also, I noticed that soon after when the temperatures began kicking the other pepper plants' asses, causing them to slow down growth and even start looking kind of bad, I could've swore that Rocoto plant looked even bigger than the last time I seen it--it must've had a growth spurt somehow, in that cold weather. This was confirmed the following several days and weeks, when flowers didn't just stop dropping off, they actually led to a large burst of peppers finally that have been growing healthy.

Now with a whole bunch of Rocotos on the plant after all this waiting, I decided that it would definitely be one of the plants to overwinter. After all, that one lone pepper leading into the end of summer was unique and tasted good, and the plant was beginning to show promise. Some peppers are ripe or ripening right now as I type, and the Rocoto plant seems to be much easier to overwinter so far than the other plants I'm attempting (Tabasco, Vietnamese Multicolor, NuMex Twilight). There are far fewer aphids on this plant, and when there is an aphid, the branches are big and strong enough that I don't have to worry about damaging the plant by squeezing. I have yet to see a massive colony of aphids like on the other three either (and hopefully it stays that way), and they seem to have fewer places to hide. There seems to be an aphid or two here and there on random stems and leaves, rather than several colonies all over the plant. Also I've noticed very little leaf drop since bring the plant in so far; the Tabasco, similarly, has dropped very few leaves--though that seems to be changing lately.

Now if only I didn't have to defend the plant so long from aphids while waiting for spring to get here again and put the plant outside... I'm actually excited to see how the plant performs next year, assuming it survives.

My plants did about the same and were shielded from the afternoon sun. They're still outside holding quite a few pods, with the odd one ripening now and then. Freezing temps will bring them indoors for 2 nights this weekend, then back outdoors to try and ripen more. Next season I plan to filter the morning sun when temps rise with shade cloth, keeping them in full shade for the afternoon and hope for better performance.

And then all of a sudden, I walked outside one day to water the plants and... what the...?! A ripe, red Rocoto. Where the hell did that come from? /quote]

that's positive news for me, one of the reasons I keep kung pao plants around, at first you think the plant is just hanging around for free food, then out of nowhere, a large umbrella like flower appears and quickly after you are looking at 5" long peppers. I am thinking of Judy's locato as a nice complementary plant for my growing season.

i have some of that light weight, white plant cover for seedlings to keep birds/bugs away but still allow light through, I think I will set something like that up next year as a sun shield.

Things may turn around as have learned the plants where cooking in the small pots. Have repoted the living ones but unsure as whats alive still is a mix of Biships crown and Orange Manzon. Should be easyer to tell them apart as they get bigger, I hope... Will put some pixs up for you to see how small they are after about 2 months,,, not even 1 inch tall.

Did you have any success with your Orange Manzano?

My first Rocoto from seed has its first tentatively set fruit exactly 3 months from when it emerged as a hook.

Did you have any success with your Orange Manzano?

My first Rocoto from seed has its first tentatively set fruit exactly 3 months from when it emerged as a hook.

It took me almost 300 days to get a ripe Manzano pepper. It was worth it, though. I dig the flavor/heat/texture intersection on this one.

Back