• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

sun How much sun is enough???

I have a house that has 2 spots for plants. The front gets full direct sun from 5AM-4PM, then indirect light until 1130. The back gets it exactly the opposite, full sun from4pm-1130pm and indirect before that. I have plants on both sides, and I don't seem to be getting the kind of growth that you guys are getting. I don't really want to move all 20+ pots to the other side of the house, but I will if it's not enough sunlight. So....is it????

My plants get 6-7 hours of sun a day, and they get loaded with fruit.

As long as your nurtients are ok, pH acceptable and you water them properly they should be fine.

Of course, for Chinense's and some others, the more sun the better.

If the plant is stunted, it doesnt mean it's a light problem. You should be thinking about your nutrients and checking your soil pH. If there is to much or to little of one or more nutrients, your plant will not be happy.

Keep the pH between 7 and 6.5, ideally 6.5 and never water untill the plant needs it (Soil is dry a few inchs below surface or plant is wilting).

If you grow in pots, it's best to water them deeply (so that water comes out the bottom) to flush out salt buildup and only water them when they wilt.

They are in pots with Miracle Grow soil and I water them with unfiltered river water. Probably once per week. They are kept indoors where it's between 65-68 degrees all day.

Beerswimmer said:
They are in pots with Miracle Grow soil and I water them with unfiltered river water. Probably once per week. They are kept indoors where it's between 65-68 degrees all day.

What are you feeding them with? Miracle Grow soil has slow release food that only lasts a few months.

If you are not feeding them anything, I would start them on General Purpose plant food if they are still young, if they are larger you can give them some Tomato food or anything with more P and K than N.

RichardK said:
What are you feeding them with? Miracle Grow soil has slow release food that only lasts a few months.

Nothing yet, and they are only about 8 inches tall. About 3 weeks in the Miracle Grow soil. I can get all the fish and kelp I want, should I add some to the soil?

Beerswimmer said:
Nothing yet, and they are only about 8 inches tall. About 3 weeks in the Miracle Grow soil. I can get all the fish and kelp I want, should I add some to the soil?

Sure, but remember, less is more! Dont over-do it when they are that young.

If the highest temps they see are 68-70 they might just be a little slow because of that, ideally they like it around 80-85 degrees. Also, how direct is the sunlight they are getting? If the sun is still at a low angle in the sky up there, they may not be getting as much benefit as they would under direct sunlight. You might want to put a grow light over them for part of the day to make sure they are getting enough energy.

I have a small 2x3x5 standing greenhouse I keep in my sunroom, basically just some plastic tubing for a frame and a clear piece of plastic that fits over it with a zipper for a door. I keep my plants in there when it's cool outside because it holds heat pretty well. I've also been putting a light over them lately because it's been rainy and they don't get much sun and it seems to help.

I only have four plants though, it might not be feasible with 20+. I suppose you could pick out a few of your favorites and see if it makes a difference.

Hope that helps a little and good luck!

Mr. Burns said:
If the highest temps they see are 68-70 they might just be a little slow because of that, ideally they like it around 80-85 degrees. Also, how direct is the sunlight they are getting? If the sun is still at a low angle in the sky up there, they may not be getting as much benefit as they would under direct sunlight. You might want to put a grow light over them for part of the day to make sure they are getting enough energy.

I have a small 2x3x5 standing greenhouse I keep in my sunroom, basically just some plastic tubing for a frame and a clear piece of plastic that fits over it with a zipper for a door. I keep my plants in there when it's cool outside because it holds heat pretty well. I've also been putting a light over them lately because it's been rainy and they don't get much sun and it seems to help.

I only have four plants though, it might not be feasible with 20+. I suppose you could pick out a few of your favorites and see if it makes a difference.

Hope that helps a little and good luck!

80-85 is a tad high, Optimal temps are between 20'C (68F) and 25'C (77F). This is because Pollen is harmed at temperatures above 30'C (86F) and Pollen is sterile if temps are above 30'C (86F) 15 days prior to anthesis (bloom).

At that stage of growth it wont be much of a problem as flower drop is something you would want at that young age. But as the plant gets larger and ready to get decent fruit sets you do not want the temps to get that high, especially at night.

Here are some beat up devil tounges. Only about 6 inches.
IMG00201.jpg

And here are some cayennes, as open and upright as the leaves ever get.
IMG00202.jpg

It's how they have done the past few years. Small and low fruit production. Maybe this year I can figure it out!

I'd say they need more light. Although you've got a whole lot of sun time it isn't the best sun light. Hope that helps.

You a GI beerswimmer?

You don't need that much light to get fruits... but more light is always welcome and *will* get you better results.

Is there a reason they can't go outside? That would make them a lot more happy IMO, even if it's a little cool. Might be worth a try. I've used MG soil before and it already has plenty of nutes. I wouldn't add any nutes until after the plants have made pods, a couple of months down the road.

Beerswimmer said:
It's only in the 40's and 50's until the sun comes out!

50's is no big deal, but you might get some flower drop. Usually when it gets to the mid to low 40's here is when i bring my caribbean reds inside. Thankfully, that only happens a couple of times a year. But 50's it'll survive outside for you.

It's 40's-50's on a cloudy day, when the sun comes out it's all the up to the upper 60's! At night it still gets into the 30's sometimes.

I leave my plants outside when it gets in the 30's at night, doesn't seem to hurt them. Below freezing hurts them. Might try to experiment with a few.

My plants have gotten as low as 3C(?35F) but in a greenhouse without wind, and only for a short period of time. Outside with wind, I certainly don't like to get below 5C(40F)for any amount of time. It may not kill them but usually sets them way back

Back