• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water How much water for a 5 gallon nursery pot ??

I haven't had to water my plants because of all the rain we've had . Got some warm weather so plan on letting them dry up a bit . How much water do you guys typically put into a 5 gallon nursery pot when dry ???

Yes many variables as stated, as well as type of plant, I have some scotch bonnets that require much more water than my ghost peppers

But I give them anywher from 1/2to 1 gallon a week depending on conditions, best way to decide is when its dry 3" down water them, I do use one of those cheap light-moisture-ph meters and it works very well with min disturbance to the plant

Also depends on the size of the plant.  if it is rootbound you need to water more/more often than if it is small for the container.

It's miracle gro potting mix with extra perlite mixed in I'd say 3 to 1 . Three are in straight miragle gro . I've been using one of those cheap meters also with all the rain we've been getting . But I've haven't deeply watered them in about 2 weeks . I know I read on here its best to deeply water them so the roots go deeper into the soil . The first couple of times I watered them I'd say I gave them way more than a gallon before I saw any run off come out the bottom of the pots .

I water when they wilt or for adding nutes.  I grow in 5 gallon buckets and give them just enough water to perk them up, usually roughly a half gallon each.  

Back