• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water How often do you water ?

McGoo said:
In summer, usually once a day, or more if they wilt, which can be up to three times per day. Dont know about winter yet, havent had one! Seedlings, though, can be once every two weeks, depending on where they are.

Are they actually wilting from lack of water, or are they transpiring faster then they can bring up water from the roots? A lot of plants will droop in very hot weather, it's how they slow evaporation and prevent water lose; but they perk right back up in the evening.

If I'm telling you something you already know, you may smack me for being too pontiferous.

MiLK_MaN said:
Dude, what kind of soil are you using?

I watered on Saturday morning, hit 37C Monday where a few plants started to wilt. Watered Monday night, hit 40C yesterday, still haven't had to water since.

I purposefully mixed coco peat bricks into my soil mix to try and retain moisture just a little longer, I reckon thats what's saved my bacon a few times since I'm at work and the plants would of surely died.

Does your soil at least have water crystals?

At the moment, its a range of potting mixes, some good, some not, and a few pots have a clay loam in them. Some have wettersoil stuff, some dont, but they all want water. A lot. And they arent small pots either.
Since that heatwave, I have mulched the lot, either coir, pine chip mulch, or composted hay, that has made a huge difference.

Pam said:
Are they actually wilting from lack of water, or are they transpiring faster then they can bring up water from the roots? A lot of plants will droop in very hot weather, it's how they slow evaporation and prevent water lose; but they perk right back up in the evening.

If I'm telling you something you already know, you may smack me for being too pontiferous.

It seems to be lack of water, as a small drink brings them right back up, which wouldnt help if they had water but couldnt access it. They live o nbricks which pump out a lot of heat, which keeps the soil pretty warm, which kinda eliminates te cold-soil-cant-unlock-water-fast-enough for-hot-plant problem.

I wasnt planning on a smack, but I'll keep my hand at the ready just in case...:P

McGoo said:
At the moment, its a range of potting mixes, some good, some not, and a few pots have a clay loam in them. Some have wettersoil stuff, some dont, but they all want water. A lot. And they arent small pots either.
Since that heatwave, I have mulched the lot, either coir, pine chip mulch, or composted hay, that has made a huge difference.

The West is the Best !

Im coming home... this year for sure !...

Hotpeppa said:
The West is the Best !

Im coming home... this year for sure !...

Ha, my wife is from BC, she said the same thing the other day. Im gonna have to sell a lot of chillies to get her there though.

yeah i cant wait !

its been a couple of years now since i have been back...

i am craving the ocean...

the minute i land, i am going to buy a jeep and drive up the west coast for a month, all the up to Darwin...

do a little spear fishing, hang gliding, and a bit of wind surfing...

oh man i cant wait to get there...

Back