• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

I'm just gonna plant 4 of each see how they go? I can't wait that long haha I've got somewhere to put them when the weather starts cooling off to keep them warm and sunny
you'll have time to get some chilies before winter!
This isn't the US or even the Eastern states...in perth you can grow for longer than 3 months.

Just got back to my place in Bunno. Plants seem OK since I put up the shadecloth barrier.

I can see what some people are saying about Green Life's mix. The guy is a legend, but the pots way a freaking tonne days after watering. There's a lot of retention there. I've cut the last lot I've potted up with about 30% perlite so we will see what happens. My poor plants have so many challenges at the moment it's not funny what with scorching easterlies and battering sea breezes and waterlogged soil -- not to mention a plague of rat's at my other place. I think this season is very much a learning curve.

I've just been out on the balcony and pruned off all but the least damaged of the leaves on my big purple capsicum and jalapeno what got smashed into black crispness by the wind before I put up any sort of barrier. There's regrowth all over the place even before the pruning so let's hope that it goes well. Does anyone know if there's a way to encourage chillies to grow laterally instead of tall? The top of my taller plants is still getting a bit whipped around and burnt.

The balcony battlers:

8392238514_a5a50e0ede_h.jpg

Left to right - Poblano bought as a seedling from Green Life - Heavily pruned Jalapeno that was recently assaulted by rats and then crisped by wind -- Tomatillo seedling -- Habanero Rojo & "Mystery pepper" (both from Megamoo and not looking anything like as healthy as the ones still in Bull Creek) -- Orange Capsicum.

8391154977_6c2a4788db_h.jpg

Left to right - Unknown chinense -- Unknown -- Cheiro Goias -- Unknown -- Anaheim (hiding) -- Absolutely pummeled Purple Capsicum

8392241010_06127a0b5f_h.jpg

Not chillies. I thought I'd let them grow all over the side of the apartment building to give it that post-apocalyptic look ;)

If your lucky enough to have a south facing garden for summer & a north facing "sun trap" in winter your absolutely laughing in Perth, the only downside i had was the extreme 40+ with no humidity, that was the biggest problem.

If i was still living in Perth & growing the good Peppers i would certainly invest in one of them mist systems, there not cheap but boy do they work well.

Mezo.

Just got back to my place in Bunno. Plants seem OK since I put up the shadecloth barrier.

I can see what some people are saying about Green Life's mix. The guy is a legend, but the pots way a freaking tonne days after watering. There's a lot of retention there. I've cut the last lot I've potted up with about 30% perlite so we will see what happens. My poor plants have so many challenges at the moment it's not funny what with scorching easterlies and battering sea breezes and waterlogged soil -- not to mention a plague of rat's at my other place. I think this season is very much a learning curve.

I've just been out on the balcony and pruned off all but the least damaged of the leaves on my big purple capsicum and jalapeno what got smashed into black crispness by the wind before I put up any sort of barrier. There's regrowth all over the place even before the pruning so let's hope that it goes well. Does anyone know if there's a way to encourage chillies to grow laterally instead of tall? The top of my taller plants is still getting a bit whipped around and burnt.

The balcony battlers:

8392238514_a5a50e0ede_h.jpg

Left to right - Poblano bought as a seedling from Green Life - Heavily pruned Jalapeno that was recently assaulted by rats and then crisped by wind -- Tomatillo seedling -- Habanero Rojo & "Mystery pepper" (both from Megamoo and not looking anything like as healthy as the ones still in Bull Creek) -- Orange Capsicum.

8391154977_6c2a4788db_h.jpg

Left to right - Unknown chinense -- Unknown -- Cheiro Goias -- Unknown -- Anaheim (hiding) -- Absolutely pummeled Purple Capsicum

8392241010_06127a0b5f_h.jpg

Not chillies. I thought I'd let them grow all over the side of the apartment building to give it that post-apocalyptic look ;)
m8 just use a brick and sum thick put soft string and gentley pull the branches Down, don't tie it to tight . Or use copper wire like bonsai to train them they way u want

A few morning shots this one appropriate
Sun rise
2064C804-2073-4872-A013-76CDEFA3C204-1588-000002646407F41F.jpg

Love these , white 7
81382A76-5E91-4923-97D1-E619852BBA20-1588-000002647E9E93AF.jpg

Mustard slooowly turning
E01CAEF0-2AA8-4C84-A731-6AF69EFCCAD0-1588-00000264C22829C5.jpg

Supposed to be black stingers? Wtf lol
E2B08450-5984-489F-A528-069CFFEE31EA-1588-000002648F5AAFA2.jpg

This will be a sick pod , sunrise diff angle :)
2A16926B-C59E-4308-A28C-098829D6C710-1588-00000264A03424F5.jpg

none of my plants have produced pods at all this season except for the jalapeno....the heat ruined them all and they aborted all their pods, they are only just starting to pod up again...

If your lucky enough to have a south facing garden for summer & a north facing "sun trap" in winter your absolutely laughing in Perth, the only downside i had was the extreme 40+ with no humidity, that was the biggest problem.

If i was still living in Perth & growing the good Peppers i would certainly invest in one of them mist systems, there not cheap but boy do they work well.

Mezo.

none of my plants have produced pods at all this season except for the jalapeno....the heat ruined them all and they aborted all their pods, they are only just starting to pod up again...
You'll get pods mate. Our season will run into to late march/april.

Pffff.... here in Brissy you can grow all year round. :party:

Planted the seeds this arvo in jiffy pellets will keep you posted :) any tips? Apart from trying to not let them get too cold or scorched by the sun? Watched a couple of you tube vids seems pretty straight forward? Trial and error I guess! I've planted 2 Jamaican yellows 3 Thai chillis 4 Trinidad scorpions (supposed to be butch T) and 4 Peter penis :)

Same thing happened to me - my smaller Jalapenos looked like they had been cooked after that heatwave. I had about 7 or 8 really large ones that were unaffected by the heat, but those were eaten by rats :(

Nice pic David! Looks a beauty.
thanks mate!
between my red and yellow I must have a 100 of these bad boys coming out! I didn't realise they got so big! I really can't imagine eating one of these pods whole!

pictures for scale and to show some shapes
P1030571_zpsaa3296c2.jpg

P1030572_zpsb6ba159d.jpg

P1030577_zpsb30685dd.jpg

and my Mouruga...got a couple with true looking shape, the rest still look pretty hot!
P1030578_zpsf1505cd6.jpg

P1030580_zps1092edb6.jpg

Back