• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Hi guys, anyone near Mandurah happen to have a Jays Peach ghost scorpion plant they would like to swap for some seedlings? I have about 15 varieties to choose from including some very rare varieties..

Jase4224 said:
Hi guys, anyone near Mandurah happen to have a Jays Peach ghost scorpion plant they would like to swap for some seedlings? I have about 15 varieties to choose from including some very rare varieties..

I'm potting up heaps at the moment Jase, i will have a look through and see if I have any spare.
It will be a seedling but with the nice weather will take off quickly

Micca

Hey Jase Ive got a spare seedling for you. its in my redneck Aerogarden im using to strengthen my babies atm.
I'm potting up now so will pot it up and transition it outdoors. Are you going to the fest down Ravenswood

Awesome! Yeah I'm going but can't get there until 5:30ish cos I'm working Saturday. At worst, I also happen to work at the Ravo for a second job so you could leave it with the staff with my name on it lol. But would be good to meet up and do s swap.

Jase4224 said:
Awesome! Yeah I'm going but can't get there until 5:30ish cos I'm working Saturday. At worst, I also happen to work at the Ravo for a second job so you could leave it with the staff with my name on it lol. But would be good to meet up and do s swap.

Work down the Ravo Mate, you should know all about the Chilli fest then. From what I have seen the boss is really getting into this Chilli theme which is good.
They had specialty Chilli Dishes, stalls, Chilli eating comp and more happening.

i;ll get in contact with u soon. Been a bit peeved with the internet lately as I have a faulty line and getting like dial-up speed. contacted service providor so they contacted optus who they use the line thru.
Optus tech came out and the line was ok in house(just needs new plug) and fault is outside house between me and the exchange. so because of that it is in the Telstra line side of things and im waiting now for him to arrive. Its only been 4 odd weeks!
while I have an RDO im writing out my growlist so will post up later

Man that sucks about your internet so annoying.

Yeah the head chef and second chef are getting right into the chilli fest and they are both growers too which is cool. There is also a spicy chocolate cocktail too that I've tried and it's really good!

Great to hear the Chefs love their Chilli. They wouldnt be afraid to "spice it up" for me if I was to ask them.

It was funny with the Jokers from Telstra. Finally got it fixed but it was like watching laurel and hardie!
Told them optus had done a check and the fault wasnt me it was coming into the house faulty.
After doing line checks, checking box out front they were carrying on something about huose wires being split up in the roof and looking at having to replace them till I mentioned I was getting static at the dial tone(which had been told to my service provider).
They stopped pulling my house apart and raced outside to main junctiun. stuffed around there a bit then took off down the road.  came back a while later.
The fault was down the road where the wires go into a box. Mine had corroded

Finally my growlist so far...........

Growlist 2016/17

Annelise
Australian Lantern
Aji Margariteno
B.O.C (Bhut Orange Copenhagen)
BBG7 - Yellow
BBG7- Orange
Bico Roxa
Brasiliera Marimbondo
Brown Bhutlah SLP
Carolina Reaper
Cappuccino Hab
Cheiro Roxa
Cabaca Roxa
Daisy Cutter
Fidalgo Roxa
Grenada Seasoning
Jays Ghost Peach Scorpion
Kpakpho Shito
Kathumby Purple
Kraken Scorpion
Mako Akokosrade
Mako Kokoo
Murupi Amarela
Orange Bhut 
Orange Carbonero
Olho De Peixe
Pimenta Beringella
Pimenta Morango
Pimenta Preta
Pimenta Lisa
Pimenta Lisa - Dark
Rocoto Brown
Rocoto orange
Seasoning Pepper
TC07070
TC07077
TC07078
Teapot Yellow
Teapot Orange
Trinidad Scorpion Detonator
Trinidad Seasoning Pepper
TS Moruga Chock
Urubu

I've just got together another 20 odd varieties and will plant the seeds in the next couple days

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

Glad your internet is working without having your house half renovated lol.

Man that's quite a big grow you got going there! Plenty of awesome varieties and some I haven't heard of. I have Peach Bhut PL SS if you want one.

Btw when do your c.chinense's usually pod up?

Ahh the million dollar question when do I get poddage? Well Mate with Chinenses all I can say is when the plant is mature and happy enough. The Chinenses can be the most fussiest of all the domesticated varieties.
If a plant is overwintered it can be now.
If a new one is planted now look towards end of season.

I have both new seedlings/small plants that I started this year and 15 or so OW plants from Anuum, Frutecense, Baccatum but mostly Chinense. They are all looking great and growing fast with most just starting to get flower buds.

The problem is that as usual the buds are falling off (only about 5 so far but..). I kind of expected them to set fruit this time because I have big pots, a great soil mix and decent temps. It's like I'm not holding my tongue right or something.

Ok seeing I only Grow Chinenses and the occasional Pube I do have some experience in this field Mate.
Try giving them a dose of Epsum Salts which can be found at bunnings. Dissolves in water and put in watering can and can be sprayed on flowers too.
This can help in what we call "Fruitset". Flower drop is a real bitch and unfortunately can be caused by lots of things.
I find like I said before the plant needs to be happy and also mature enough to hold fruit.
You can also check to see if there is any pollen in the flowers. bit tricky but when the flower starts to open it will spill out a yellow powder(pollen).
If there is no or very little pollen the other flowers will not get pollenated and will fall off. This also has to do with maturity of the plant.
Hope this helps

oh yeah if you get flowers dropping in summer from mature plants and it has been hot that is because he is NOT HAPPY. Chinenses dont like to fruit when over 39Deg.C and will drop flowers/fruit.
You can help by putting shadecloth over them.

you have a spare Peach Bhut mate would love to grab one from you. Didnt get around to planting seeds of this.

Micca

Hi Micca, I do have some Epsom salts I actually put a bit in the mix. My potting mix is:

Baileys premium 30L
Perlite 4L
Cow manure 2L
Handful of rooster booster
Also a tablespoon of Epsom salts and a table spoon of dolomite lime

Once every few weeks I water with Thrive for veggies.

My OW plants are a decent size and seem happy, they look great, grow fast and have a nice healthy shade of green. They are also producing buds like crazy. All my plants are in 25L pots with extra holes drilled for drainage and I'll be putting some white tarp like plastic around the sides to keeps the roots cool when it gets hot.

I also sprinkled a small amount of potash on the top soil a month or so ago.

I'm thinking they should have everything they need, without overdoing it.. hence my annoyance when the first few flowers have dropped lol

Jase4224 said:
Hi Micca, I do have some Epsom salts I actually put a bit in the mix. My potting mix is:

Baileys premium 30L
Perlite 4L
Cow manure 2L
Handful of rooster booster
Also a tablespoon of Epsom salts and a table spoon of dolomite lime

Once every few weeks I water with Thrive for veggies.

My OW plants are a decent size and seem happy, they look great, grow fast and have a nice healthy shade of green. They are also producing buds like crazy. All my plants are in 25L pots with extra holes drilled for drainage and I'll be putting some white tarp like plastic around the sides to keeps the roots cool when it gets hot.

I also sprinkled a small amount of potash on the top soil a month or so ago.

I'm thinking they should have everything they need, without overdoing it.. hence my annoyance when the first few flowers have dropped lol

Hey Mate your soil mix is fine. I used to use Baileys too. Potash is another good one to promote flower/fruit.
Now the trap people fall into(myself included) is we give them some ferts every couple of weeks. The plants if they are in flowering/fruiting mode need to be fed with a good plant food like seasol.
You are giving them thrive for veggies even though it says plant food or tonic will be high in nitrogen. Its probably around 10 - 12% nitrogen. this is fantastic at the beginning when you want them to grow and be lush and green. When they go into the flowering/fruiting stage you need to cut out the ferts(high nitrogen) and give them a plant food like seasol. I think seasol has less than 1% nitrogen.
So basically ferts(high nitrogen) = fast growing big lush plants but very l;ittle fruit production(yield)
Plant food like seasol as well as watering with epsum salts or using potash on topsoil = more flowering/ fruitsetting and smaller bushier plants

Micca 

My new toy  :P
It is an attachment for my whipper snipper they call a tiller or cultivator.
It turns over your topsoil to get ready to plant in.       http://sendvid.com/spe4lvfq

This thing is s beast! if you keep going over the ground you wil just go deeper. 
I also used it to mix the compost, manures etc and made light iwkih uj

Yeah Mate thats my raised garden bed, Been growing in it for about 5 years but havent really turned it over properly.
Only had 2 chilli plants survive in it this year so thought I would give it a boost.
I put in Mushroom compost, sheep manure, organic compost, nitrophoska, dynamic lifter and some cheap organic soil mix. Used my tiller and within no time it was all mixed through.
I have a frame and shadecloth that covers part of it and the rest of the bed gets shaded from my out of control Macadamia nut tree. Now dont get me started on my bastage macadamia tree. about 6years old, flowers every year but never seen a nut!!!  Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Back