• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Bunnings sell big 48 watt CFLs that you can put into a normal desk lamp. I think Nelson is the brand and they are about $16 each. One or two of those would be enough to get some seedlings a head start.

P1030979_zps6affda46.jpg

Super David said:
Bunnings sell big 48 watt CFLs that you can put into a normal desk lamp. I think Nelson is the brand and they are about $16 each. One or two of those would be enough to get some seedlings a head start.

P1030979_zps6affda46.jpg
Thanks mate went and picked one up today will see how it goes and let you know, should I have it really close to the plants? I've set it up about 6-8 inches above them at the moment but will this make them leggy?

you can actually get these pretty close because they dont put out alot of downward heat.
I think I read somewhere in this forum that you can go as close as 1cm per 10 watts. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I have tried it with my 250MH bulb and my plants didn't fry.
So I guess you could try 5cm and see? Just put your hand between the bulb and the plant and get a feel for how much heat is coming off

I used a couple of those last season. With a homemade reflector, a box and a fan on a timer they are really good for getting the chillis going and very littlw heat. Will put some picks up from last year if I can find them.

dazza82 said:
I used a couple of those last season. With a homemade reflector, a box and a fan on a timer they are really good for getting the chillis going and very littlw heat. Will put some picks up from last year if I can find them.
That would be great mate ill take some picks on the weekend of what I've done, need to finish the box they're in and I was thinking of using an old reflective windscreen sun protector to line the sides? And try pick up a little mini desk fan from spotlight or red dot maybe?

Just ordered some more seeds off jungle rain, have you guys used them before? I ordered from thechilliman last season but wasn't too impressed with the service, (good seeds though!)

Andy21 said:
Just ordered some more seeds off jungle rain, have you guys used them before? I ordered from thechilliman last season but wasn't too impressed with the service, (good seeds though!)
I got some seeds of him several weeks ago. Took longer than I thought it should be all arrived ok with a free bag of mixed random super hots.
Those have sprouted very quickly but what I actually ordered (Burmese Naga) hasn't sprouted yet.
Would do business with him again.

I made my reflector out of cardboard, silver foil and couple of lamp holders. Sorry still tryimg to figure out how to put up pics from an s3 its driving me mental. It can get abit to hot with those lights I found that out the hard way last year a few holes ether side of the box and fans pushing and pulling the air across worked a treat.

Yo yo yo perthanites I'm back :)
Andy21 said:
Jungle rain good gear good service

Seeds arrived from jungle rain, sent me 2 extra packs aswell! Gonna get straight onto getting them going if all goes well should have a good variety going this year from mild to superhot

About half of my winter "sticks" are starting to come back; however, there's a few that are gradually turning brown from the top down. Are these ones done for? is there any way to encourage plants to shoot again after winter?

nemspy said:
About half of my winter "sticks" are starting to come back; however, there's a few that are gradually turning brown from the top down. Are these ones done for? is there any way to encourage plants to shoot again after winter?
I've had potted plants do that before, and they have ended up sprouting up from the sides.

I didn't trim back any of my hydroponic chilies this year and didn't end up with any bits dying off. All the leaves fell off but they are all re shooting now.

So with the Australian Motor Enthusiast Party winning a seat in the senate, I think it's time to point out the glaring lack of an Australian Superhot Chilli Enthusiasts party.....

Just a question. I have got my seedlings under cfl lights and also blue leds. How many hours on average do they need umder the lights. Per day I cant remeber. Is it 10-14

dazza82 said:
Just a question. I have got my seedlings under cfl lights and also blue leds. How many hours on average do they need umder the lights. Per day I cant remeber. Is it 10-14
I'm pretty sure you can go up to 18 hours a day, but you dont have to.  I'm not sure what the minimum is though.

Might go for 16hrs see how that goes. Just got my toms under just now. Still waiting on my chillis to germinate. See if I can break my suoer hot seed voo doo this year. I fried last years seeds because of the heat mat. Got this year sitting around 28-30d

dazza82 said:
Might go for 16hrs see how that goes. Just got my toms under just now. Still waiting on my chillis to germinate. See if I can break my suoer hot seed voo doo this year. I fried last years seeds because of the heat mat. Got this year sitting around 28-30d
What heat mat are/were you using? All my seeds popped up apart from my Trinidad scorpion only 1 of 8 so far but it's only been 9 days, my heat may doesn't have a thermostat so I'm not sure how hot it is, supposedly 5-10 degrees above room temp. Might buy a thermometer this weekend! I've got more seeds I need to get going on the mat as I only have one and impatiently planted 3 lots of 24 seed propogator's lol

Back