• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

My wife also loves eating chilli in food (she's not so mad on growing like me), but has asthma and when she tried the Jonah she felt her throat tighten which was pretty scary (that has never happened with Habs, Fatali, etc.), so it was definitely a hot pod. I had a mild ache in my gut after the Jonah.

I have a pretty high tolerance to chilli, but will definitely be checking the other pods as it could be on the lower scale of their range - I have nothing to compare it to I guess.

nemspy said:
Rainman,

Sorry about your Butch T - I have three in pots on my balcony that are, somehow, doing better than most of my other plants. What did shit themselves, however, was BOTH of my purple habaneros. They, alone among all my plants, both lost ALL their leaves after looking the strongest of all for ages. Not being treated any differently.

Go figure.

Nemspy - My Butch-T was the healthiest too before it shed the lot. Hope yours bounce back like mine have so far.

With the exception of MegaMoo (who's insane harvests are there for all to see on his glog) how are the rest of you guys going this season?

Not too bad really. I've had way less fruit set this year than the same time last year, but my plants look way better. Bushier and healthier overall I guess. My Butch T's and bhuts are going nuts, as are the douglahs, but all suffering from severe flower drop.

Not many pods at all - plants ranging from super healthy looking to just about bare of leaves - major pot and soil mix issues, I reckon.

My saffron and orange habs seem to be finally holding fruit but the plants really didnt like this last month or so of summer and hot winds.
----

Not sure if this will continue my last post, but here's a discovery I have made.

Last season, as a precursor to my first adventure with chillies, I bought a jalapeno and a purple capsicum seedling from bunnings and potted them in osmocote mix for citrus because it was all I had on hand.

The plants thrived, grew large, and the jalapeno was covered in fruit all season.

SInce then I've been trying all manner of "proper" mixes for peppers without anything ever looking as strong.

This weekend just gone I was at my mum's place and I noticed a very healthy rogue chilli that is growing in a pot with one of my citrus trees in the citrus mix. It is so green and strong - could this extremely woodchippy mix be a secret formula?

Rainman said:
With the exception of MegaMoo (who's insane harvests are there for all to see on his glog) how are the rest of you guys going this season?
Don't look now but I just posted another harvest picture :D

.... and for everyone in Perth, this is happening again -
http://www.araluenbotanicpark.com.au/araluen-fremantle-chilli-festival/

If I can find the time I'll be going.  Don't need any more chilli products!   but there are worse ways to spend a weekend than going past chilli stalls and sampling their freebies :fireball:

nemspy said:
This weekend just gone I was at my mum's place and I noticed a very healthy rogue chilli that is growing in a pot with one of my citrus trees in the citrus mix. It is so green and strong - could this extremely woodchippy mix be a secret formula?

Sounds interesting and I'll probably give it a go next year.  

megamoo said:
Don't look now but I just posted another harvest picture :D

.... and for everyone in Perth, this is happening again -
http://www.araluenbotanicpark.com.au/araluen-fremantle-chilli-festival/

If I can find the time I'll be going.  Don't need any more chilli products!   but there are worse ways to spend a weekend than going past chilli stalls and sampling their freebies :fireball:
I'll be going to the festival... nice harvest shot btw (again).  

AussieMitch said:
Not too bad really. I've had way less fruit set this year than the same time last year, but my plants look way better. Bushier and healthier overall I guess. My Butch T's and bhuts are going nuts, as are the douglahs, but all suffering from severe flower drop.
Damn - you as well for the flower drop. Its gets bloody hot out your way mind.  Are yours in pots or the ground Aussie? 

They're all in the ground. Thinking about getting some potash to see if that helps, though I think it's more likely due to the heat than anything else.

I'm not having much luck again this year :( All my ones in pots are looking yellow and growing really slowly, no matter what potting mix I use or how often I fertilise them. I've been deliberately not watering them too much this time too which is the mistake I made last year. I moved some into the ground though and they have become greener and are growing ok but no chillis yet :( None of them even have any flowers atm actually, grrr. Oh well. I think next season I'll start earlier and try and get more into the ground now that I have a bit more space and hope for the best.

My growing is a bit like the others.  Some are great some are on deaths door.
Hot Fish.   Really like this chili! what a plant! 
P1040407_zpsbdd67db0.jpg

Burmese Naga ready to eat
P1040405_zps9ab39f0c.jpg

P1040404_zps93fcf5f9.jpg

Ghost Hab, need to start picking

P1040401_zps65b8ba90.jpg

Dave, Your Burmese Naga and hot fish look awesome, especially the variegation on the HF.

Moo, that is an insane harvest :party:

My plants have been going pretty good for a first try at being a chilli head. The last week took a fair toll on my plants but they seem to have come back strongly this week, I have plenty of pods to harvest (plenty by my standards anyway).

I snapped some photos on the week end but have only now gotten around to uploading them. Enjoy and gice me a bump cause there is more to come.

We picked up this Fatali at the midland markets last week. Special bonus it came with all of these pods on the plant. Tried it as soon as I got home and the flavour and heat were awesome, I really like this one.
1779862_10151922254886932_988359642_n.jpg

1922097_10151922254911932_2011749479_n.jpg

Jonah - It has a few fruit ripening and these may be harvested tonight if I get a chance. looking forward to giving it a go for the first time.

1898091_10151922255216932_1296532423_n.jpg

1911816_10151922255706932_2131439919_n.jpg

Penis Pepper -  Doing well with plenty of fruit set and a couple beginning to ripen, still lots of flowers blossoming as well.

1625543_10151922255271932_1929768225_n.jpg

Douglah - I don't like this chili, This pod ripened during the week and I just had to try it. The heat was incredible which I do not mind but the taste was obnoxious, almost like a gross medicine.

1656274_10151922255421932_1010934710_n.jpg

Lemon Drop - Is going mental producing pods, there would be around 50-60 ripening on this plant, I like the taste it is sweet, hot and fruity. My partner went to the markets on Sunday and picked up another one because she thought it was cute. She did not realise we already had this type. But hey one more can't hurt.

1661549_10151922255526932_1508195347_n.jpg

Scotch Bonnet - I think this would have to be my favourite at the moment for  flavour. It was a real surprise to eat this for the first time.

1621710_10151922255556932_1008975719_n.jpg

Chocolate Brain Strain? - This may be a not, this shot was taken last week end and since then the rest of the pods on the plant have settled into a bright orangey red colour as shown here. I will leave them a bit longer to see if they develop into a more choc colour.

1969319_10151922255741932_1005283050_n.jpg

1779148_10151922255766932_1403485467_n.jpg

Thanks man, I wonder what it is then an ideas folks.

More photos.

The unknown Burmese

1796679_10151922255476932_129433675_n.jpg

1796514_10151922254996932_1674591999_n.jpg

With little flower crowns.

1979671_10151922256026932_1155229179_n.jpg

Lemon Drop again

1970772_10151922255811932_1795589266_n.jpg

Wild Fire Bhut J in the blue pot going hell for leather with the flowers.

1656389_10151922256086932_1178784207_n.jpg

Group shot from left to right - Burmese? - Douglah - Thai Red - Penis Pepper - Jonah (behind PP) - Bhut J

1620694_10151922256116932_1177294440_n.jpg

Another group shot -Serano - Burmese? - Scotch Bonnet - Choc Brain Strain? - Lemon Drop - Bhut J

1981864_10151922256146932_93169691_n.jpg

Yukky Douglah

1656441_10151922256191932_879028043_n.jpg

Highlucks - Nice pics man.  What soil are you using in the pots?  Also do you grow in semi-shade?

I have  few Douglahs that set and ripened (well... three pods, one aborted and dropped off).  Going to try them on the weekend, but a little timid after your post as I don't want them to ruin the taste of the meal.

Might go to the Midland markets this weekend if they are on each week and see if I can get a lemon drop and scotch bonnet as I'd like to try both of them as well.

Thanks man,

I use a mix of perlite potting mix (Recycled from the Nursery where my partner works), Coco coir, organic compost, mushroom compost and Debco Premium potting mix. They are then topped of with Lupin mulch.
I guess you could call it semi shaded, they get a good hit of morning sun, from say 8-12 and then filtered light through out the day until sun set.

I try all of my chilis straight from the bush, usually I will cut a 20 x 10mm strip off to try. The douglah may work well in food but for my mind it will be more of a heat giver than flavour.

The Midland Markets are on every week end, the guy with the chili's is usually located toward the end of where they sell the fresh produce. I got the Fatali and one Lemon drop from him.

My Scotch Bonnet and first Lemon drop I bought from Canningvale markets from an Italian bloke that sets up toward the back of the markets.

If you have no luck with either I would be happy to share/trade some seeds with you. I dried the first SB pod I took and there would be around 20-30 seeds per pod. The lemon drop is also a reasonably heavy seeder, especially for a small chili.

Lemon Drop harvest from last night, All but a few came from one bush.
1379992_10151923642681932_620962280_n.jpg

And the others, SB, jonah, ?Burmese, ?Burmese, Thai red.

1510581_10151923642696932_1392472969_n.jpg

These Burmese Nagas are hot!! Really really hot! I'm going to make some nice powder out of these I think.
I ate the tip off half of it and my mate ate the tip off the other half and we both suffered badly! I dont know what the actual scu is but it felt like one of the hottest chilies I've had, including carolina reapers and ghost peppers.
P1040442_zps568f6267.jpg

highlucks said:
I try all of my chilis straight from the bush, usually I will cut a 20 x 10mm strip off to try. The douglah may work well in food but for my mind it will be more of a heat giver than flavour.

We do the same for each new chilli we try.  The first pod gets cut in half and then me and the wife have a try.  Always make sure there are a couple of seeds on there too, to get the full effect.
Yesterday we tried the Douglah.., it was OK.  Definitely the hottest thing I've ever had and I see where you were coming from re: the flavour.  I liked it, but the flavour was not as nice as some other chillies.  
We had a BBQ yesterday and used a Douglah to create some seriously spicy onions for the chilli cheese hot dogs.  Was a big hit and something I will be making again soon.

Thanks for the offer to trade seeds.  I managed to kill all my seed attempts, during this my rookie year.  I don't have the indoor growing equipment or growing skills it would seem, so I would not take good seeds off you as I'd kill them more than likely!  This is why I'm using seedlings bought from various places and I'm not doing so well with them either (I got my soil all wrong I think - TWICE) so I'm keen to buy something new from the market today to get to eat a new chilli variety.

Dave - That Naga looks tasty with lots of chilli oils glistening in the light :)  Has a great bright colour for a sauce too by the look of it... 

Rainman said:

We do the same for each new chilli we try.  The first pod gets cut in half and then me and the wife have a try.  Always make sure there are a couple of seeds on there too, to get the full effect.
Yesterday we tried the Douglah.., it was OK.  Definitely the hottest thing I've ever had and I see where you were coming from re: the flavour.  I liked it, but the flavour was not as nice as some other chillies.  
We had a BBQ yesterday and used a Douglah to create some seriously spicy onions for the chilli cheese hot dogs.  Was a big hit and something I will be making again soon.

Thanks for the offer to trade seeds.  I managed to kill all my seed attempts, during this my rookie year.  I don't have the indoor growing equipment or growing skills it would seem, so I would not take good seeds off you as I'd kill them more than likely!  This is why I'm using seedlings bought from various places and I'm not doing so well with them either (I got my soil all wrong I think - TWICE) so I'm keen to buy something new from the market today to get to eat a new chilli variety.

Dave - That Naga looks tasty with lots of chilli oils glistening in the light :)  Has a great bright colour for a sauce too by the look of it... 

I do not mind if you kill them especially if it helps you to learn more about growing them. I am going to have a lot (again by my standards) of seed come the end of this season so I am happy to share them around.

Super David said:
These Burmese Nagas are hot!! Really really hot! I'm going to make some nice powder out of these I think.
I ate the tip off half of it and my mate ate the tip off the other half and we both suffered badly! I dont know what the actual scu is but it felt like one of the hottest chilies I've had, including carolina reapers and ghost peppers.

Dave I am very keen on some of your HF and BN seeds if a trade can be arranged

highlucks said:
I do not mind if you kill them especially if it helps you to learn more about growing them. I am going to have a lot (again by my standards) of seed come the end of this season so I am happy to share them around.

Dave I am very keen on some of your HF and BN seeds if a trade can be arranged
Dont need to trade but I'm happy to send some seeds your way if you pm me your address.
Maybe have a little wait ahead for the burmese naga seeds.  I gave a way a ripe pod and dried the other one. I should have ripe pods to get seeds out of very soon.  I'll check how many of the original seeds i have. Germination rate wasn't great though.

Back