• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How soon can you plant dried seeds

Hot pepper mischief said:
Hello.

Does anyone know how soon you can start germinating your dried pepper seeds? I received a few pods and would like to start growing as soon as I can. Not sure if they need a specific resting period.

I only have a few seeds and don't want to fail in experimentation.

Thanks

I'll have to defer to other members but my guess would be none. In other words, birds eat peppers and the passed seeds fall to earth in their scat and will grow a new plant - never having dried out...

EDIT @10:05 PM:

PaulG said:
As far as I know, you can start them
right away. Fresher the better to my
way of thinking.
Ya beat me Paul!

I appreciate it. I actually just found an quora article where they stated the pod gives off a chemical to the seeds to keep them dormant. Answers my old question on how store bought green peppers get that little guy in there sometimes.

I appreciate it. I actually just found an quora article where they stated the pod gives off a chemical to the seeds to keep them dormant. Answers my old question on how store bought green peppers get that little guy in there sometimes.

I can't comment on that, but I can confirm Paul & NECM:

PaulG said:
As far as I know, you can start them
right away. Fresher the better to my
way of thinking.

I have sown fresh from the pod and plants germinated OK. I have no data to compare numbers (with and without resting period etc.), but taken by itself, you can take fresh seed and sow straight away and expect that they will actually germinate. I as well have read before that a resting period is required (or better?) but I can't recall where I read it. Must have been a book on seed saving.

I frequently plant Capsicum species seeds immediately after drying and they germinate rapidly if and when they are viable.

With some other plants fresh seed should be planted before it dries because drying induces a dormancy that must be ended before the seeds will germinate however that is not the case with Capsicum.

I have numerous Capsicum seedlings growing at the moment that were from seed harvested less than a month ago.

I'm experimenting with fresh XL Brown Rocoto seeds right now, just put one in a small cup of saturated perlite, one in same size cup of potting soil. The pods had been ripened to softness, which is a long time for a Rocoto on the vine.

I too am curious.

My Grandma was known for planting all manner of seeds from ripe grocery produce, bell peppers as well. It seemed to work for her....

Thank you for reaffirming. If it works out, I will then try my speculated (hopefully) wiri wiri. I only have 5 of those seeds and don't want to waste the resource.

Thanks again.

Those are called internal proliferations, a form of
parthenogenesis, or production of fruit without
sexual fertilization.

Tomatoes have a mucus around the seeds that
impedes germination so the seeds don't sprout
inside the tomato. That's why the pulp needs to
be fermented, to get rid of that inhibiting agent
so the seeds can germinate.

Not sure if peppers have the same mechanism
around the internal proliferations, but the insides
of peppers are dry enough that I don't think the
seeds would germinate in any case.

stettoman said:
My Grandma was known for planting all manner of seeds from ripe grocery produce, bell peppers as well. It seemed to work for her....
Works for me, too, Stetted. I have grown
mini-bells with fresh store pepper seeds.

PaulG said:
Those are called internal proliferations, a form of
parthenogenesis, or production of fruit without
sexual fertilization.

Not sure if peppers have the same mechanism
around the internal proliferations, but the insides
of peppers are dry enough that I don't think the
seeds would germinate in any case.

Paul, I have seen photos on pages on this site where a rogue seed had germinated inside the pod. Not often, in fact maybe once or twice that I remember. 

stettoman said:

Paul, I have seen photos on pages on this site where a rogue seed had germinated inside the pod. Not often, in fact maybe once or twice that I remember. 
Would have to be pretty rare if in 9 seasons
I never saw a seed germinate in a pod. I see
the internal proliferations a lot more.

I could see a whole batch germinating in a pod
because the conditions would be just right. Will
have to look this up for more info.

When I have time.

Interesting, though   :think:

Maybe someone else will dial into this thread...

stettoman said:

We bought 2 yellow bells at the grocery store recently and both of them had a small pepper inside.  

Yesterday!!

Back