• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking How to cook on a campfire - during a fire ban!

While we where traveling in Arizona, the first 3 weeks where disheartening as we could not make any campfires! What's a camping trip without a camp fire? We decided to buy a propane fire pit (which we thought would suck) but it actually turned out to be amazing! You can actually cook on this thing! It comes with lava rocks, extendable cooking utensils, and a ring which you can put a grill on. I didn't even know things like this existed before this trip but I'm really glad we got one now. We can even have a fire on our boat (of all places) as the bottom of the fire pit stays ice cold and the "business end" produces some scorching flames on full blast. I would recommend cooking with it on full blast, but it has a few different levels of heat for cooking. Anyway, for those who want to cook over a fire and not on a propane stove, this is for you!

Camp Chef Propane Fire Pit 55,000 BTU

https://youtu.be/8QxnjTsZJtY

It's great, thanks for sharing. But I do prefer something bigger like Walden heavy duty steel Grate for outdoor fire pits. Hot it few days ago, and completely satisfied by it's size and ability to make BBQ for dozens of people.

We got the Camco propane campfire several years ago and also used it for cooking and campfire during a fire ban. They are a great option to have. I like that the Camco one packs all up into one 'bucket' and stores well.

SL

salsalady, what can you say about model Sunnydaze Round Heavy-Duty Steel fire pit grate? I could find it right there ( url: https://mygardenzone.com/best-fire-pit-grate/ ). It looks pretty reliable, and based on comments from other people, it's pretty reliable one. I'm curious about would it be durable enough and long-lasting for any type of cooking, or not.

Hey Don~
Im not familiar with campfire grates. What i have is a propane appliance. Those grates do look like a good item.
SL

Back