How to get someone to pay via phone at garage sales and farmer's market

Square is a good product but it is hard to use it to create value and can be a little slow. This way you can sell to 100 people at once provide recipes and get orders after people leave.

Also many people don't want to interact with someone just to buy a bag of peppers. Most people do not want to stand in line while you accept payments.

Finally this way you can sell instead of being a cashier. Will people use it? If you create value (discounts, pepper descriptions, recipes, etc.) with the QR code you will get more people using it. Paying with your phone does not mean using your credit card on a dongle.
This won't replace square for now but could enhance the customer experience

thanks for posting this. Can we make this a discussion, or would you like to keep it about your info post? I need to heard from others what works and what doesn't. If this isn't appropriate in this thread, I'll start another one for discussion.

just saw your post, need more info....

another dongle=paypal
paypal also offers a credit card swiping device that connects to your smartphone
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

it is free to use but they charge 2.7% per transaction. for every $10.00 charge is .27

and here are the compatble phones
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-here-compatible-devices

if I understand this stuff correctly, card swipe devices need wifi to work, not just a cell signal? I'm trying to get a paypal card system going. I've requested the text link twice, but haven't got the link yet. I'm not surprised...sometimes I get voice messages a week later.

another dongle=paypal
paypal also offers a credit card swiping device that connects to your smartphone
https://www.paypal.c...dit-card-reader

it is free to use but they charge 2.7% per transaction. for every $10.00 charge is .27

and here are the compatble phones
https://www.paypal.c...patible-devices

Actually according to the site linked the fee is more than that !! :

PayPal fees mainly apply to sellers, who pay a 2.9% transaction fee on the total sale amount plus a $0.30 fee per transaction.

EDIT : Oops looks like they added the new info further down the page :

Fees for Our New Card Reader (PayPal Here™)

Introducing low transaction rates for PayPal Here, our new card reader for smartphones. YOUR FEE PER
TRANSACTION EXAMPLES Swiped and PayPal transactions 2.7% $2.70 fee on a $100 sale Typed and scanned transactions 3.5% + $0.15 $3.65 fee on a $100 sale

Salsa lady,
I am going to recommend square (squareup.com). You do not need WiFi but you will need at least 3G. If you don't have 3G or 4G then you need Wifi

Also many people don't want to interact with someone just to buy a bag of peppers. Most people do not want to stand in line while you accept payments.

I totally disagree! If we are talking about just bell peppers and jalapenos, I am sure the interaction can be limited. But if we are talking about the vast choices of other peppers, interaction is necessary to make a sell. When you speak of using this for garage sales and farmer's market, most if not all usually has cash on hand. Reason being the trust factor of releasing their valuable information to what essentially can be consider a fly by night business. I for one am hesitant as how I use my card. If anything I would go to nearest ATM. Rather then have someone at the garage sale or farmer's market have access to my info.

Know your demographics. Are they tech savvy? Just because they have a smart phone doesn't necessarily mean they will use it. Have you gone into a grocery store where they have those self serve checkout? Lots of times I see no lines, even though the ones that are manned by humans are backed up! Why is that? If the self serve was the primary payment method, I am sure you will get a few who will drop their basket and just walk out.

Finally this way you can sell instead of being a cashier. Will people use it? If you create value (discounts, pepper descriptions, recipes, etc.) with the QR code you will get more people using it. Paying with your phone does not mean using your credit card on a dongle.
This won't replace square for now but could enhance the customer experience

In terms of making a sell... not good! You are allowing the potential customer to override their 'impulse buy'. By not ceasing the moment of payment... more cases than not you will lose more sells by allowing them to their own accord. Just like infomercials, if you didn't buy it while you were watching, most likely you won't go through the trouble of buying it on your own later! You are also making the assumption that they already have a PayPal account, can recall their login & password. Do you know how inconvenient it is not to have any of that? Enough to lose a sell and have the potential customer walk away in frustration of YOU not being able to process their payment.

To sum it up... QR codes are great as a supplemental tool to help make a sell, but as for using it as a payment gateway... it's just lacking for the astute general public. In this case sometimes convenience does not override the feeling that one's info is secured. Being a web/graphic designer, I always tell my clients not to click onto a link when it pertains to PayPal. There are so many 'phising' links to PayPal to dupe one into giving up their private info, it's just not worth it. Sometimes old school is the way to go... a simple FAQ's sign on peppers is more convenient then having to whip out your smart phone, click onto the QR reader, then wait for the info to download. But as you said there are times QR's can be beneficial... like recipes or more detailed info.

okay,
quite few comments
It will be a suplementary way to drive payments. QR codes will never be The Solution. People do not carry/checks like they once did. The method I outlined directs the person to a paypal site. Which is familiar to many people. Also Paypal protects against fraud. It might be the safest method possible. If someone wants to go to the ATM they can. If someone wants to swipe the card on square they can. If someone wants to scan a code and pay they can.

you can't interact with your customers if you are behind a cash register accepting cash. You said "interaction is necessary to make a sell" for more interesting peppers. If you force everyone to have to come to you and pay cash then you are losing time you could use to sell.
My experience with the self check out is that many people use it and one cashier is able to replace 4-6 cashiers. Your experience is quite different than mine.

A person will think they are astute if they use the QR to pay and go. Another person will think they are astute if they don't give payment information on a website. In their worlds and perceptions they are each astute yet they are taking two completely different paths. Saying one is astute does not make it so.

The cost to a seller of creating the QR codes is close to zero. Even the time costs are extraordinarily low. I could create 50 price points and 100 labels in an hour. The cost to the consumer is more cognitive inertia than anything.

People will be paying with their phones. Not with QR codes. QR codes are just a cheap way to do it for anybody. Payments by mobile device are more secure than cash or credit card.

Will it work? People can make it work.

The method I outlined directs the person to a paypal site. Which is familiar to many people. Also Paypal protects against fraud. It might be the safest method possible. If someone wants to go to the ATM they can. If someone wants to swipe the card on square they can. If someone wants to scan a code and pay they can.

And if an unscrupulous few wants to scam you out of your hard earned $$$'s they can! The easiest method is as I've stated before is by 'phishing'. And it's not all that hard to set up a duped PayPal HTML submit page that request for login and password. Then have it redirect to a page saying that the site is down. At that point one has all the info to raid your PayPal account. It is hard to argue fraud when one freely gives out their private info as PayPal states they will NEVER ask for those particulars. Fair WARNING to all who thinks PayPal will protect you from fraud. Most of that fraud protection pertains to Ebay or a 'Confirmed' buyer/seller accounts. If PayPal was serious about it, they would take the extra steps in protecting your account to begin with a secondary login confirmation like they do at banks with an image that you privately selected is easy enough. Now for those who made the assumption that they can trust any and all vendors, your next question should be how many hoops and how long before I get my money back from PayPal if fraud did occur?

My experience with the self check out is that many people use it and one cashier is able to replace 4-6 cashiers. Your experience is quite different than mine.

Fair enough. But at the same token I have yet to see shorter lines when it comes to man vs. machines. I have never seen a self checkout line longer than one that is manned.

A person will think they are astute if they use the QR to pay and go. Another person will think they are astute if they don't give payment information on a website. In their worlds and perceptions they are each astute yet they are taking two completely different paths. Saying one is astute does not make it so.

OK... now my question is ARE you 'astute' enough to know the difference between a secured link and a 'phishing' link? You would be surprise of how many get taken. In my line of work this is something that gets addressed frequently with my clienteles. When it comes to e-commerce it's not a matter if you will get scammed but a when (especially the way PayPal has it set up that your account login is your email).

PayPal's Phishing Challenge

Payments by mobile device are more secure than cash or credit card.

That statement is ONLY half right! If the payment site is NOT a secured (ex:SSL, encrypt, decrypt, etc.) site, then your private info is not so private! So in other words... your mobile device is only as secure as the payment site! Best way of protecting oneself is to be pro-active and limiting ones transaction with unknown vendors.

If you are worried that someone is going to create a fake paypal site and then use it at a sale at their house then I can't really tell you anything. If you think self serve checkout is a failure and unpopular because it has short lines then I can't tell you anything. If you recommend people never use paypal then I can't tell you anything.

ALL mobile payment platforms use encryption. You are giving non-existing examples in order to prove you point.

Garage sales are face to face, farmer's markets require tax information and i.d. and are face to face. They are going to be lower risk. The risk is not zero just less than going to an atm or using your credit card at a gas station.

You are referring to fraudulant emails to try to show that there is this risk to using paypal at a farmer's market. I really don't think my post is for you. You have warned everyone. Thank you. I won't be replying to anymore of your posts as you are not really the intended audience.

I currently use Square, but my business bank (small independent) just implemented a third party sales app called VirtualMerchant Mobile that handles mobile payments. Looking into it now. Check with your biz bank, they may offer something already.

Intuit offers GoPayment that does this too.

Most of the shoppers at my local farmer's market would not understand how to use a qr code, and you would spend 10 minutes trying to explain it to them while missing other potential customers.

It would be great in tech-centric communities like Redmond or Silicon valley, but is not going to work with the South Florida retirees and immigrant communities.

I am not saying to NOT use PayPal! I am trying to convey that there are safety measures that must be taken. My point is QR codes is a great tool in some circumstances. I just believe the security factor out weighs the convenience from a buyer's standpoint. As I have said the best security is being pro-active. Sadly most of us have way too much private information stored in our smartphones (especially those who also have their emails synced). I am one of those who is guilty of this practice! Would I use QR coding? Yes... under the circumstance of creating the QR myself or internal use in my own business (minimal risk). But never for a payment gateway!

Now knowing this, do you not think as a PUBLIC service to those who read your info should also be made aware of the dangers of QR coding (please read RISKS below)?

On another note for those who wants more answers or info to e-commerce/merchant accounts please start another thread, as I believe the OP meant this thread to be about QR coding. If the OP doesn't mind talking about it here then I will gladly share what I know and if not then I'll look out for the new thread.

Is this enough Proof for you?

QR Code on Wikipedia

Risks

Malicious QR codes combined with a permissive reader can put a computer's contents and user's privacy at risk. This practice is known as "attagging", a portmanteau of "attack tagging".[36] They are easily created and can be affixed over legitimate QR codes.[37] On a smartphone, the reader's many permissions allow use of the camera, full Internet access, read/write contact data, GPS, read browser history, read/write local storage, and global system changes.[38][39][40]

Risks include linking to dangerous web sites with browser exploits, enabling the microphone/camera/GPS, and then streaming those feeds to a remote server, analysis of sensitive data (passwords, files, contacts, transactions),[41] and sending email/SMS/IM messages or DDOS packets as part of a botnet, corrupting privacy settings, stealing identity,[42] and even containing malicious logic themselves such as Javascript [43] or a virus.[44][45] These actions could occur in the background while the user is only seeing the reader opening a seemingly harmless web page.[46] In Russia, a malicious QR code caused phones that scanned it to send premium texts at a fee of US$6 each.[36]

Another good read by PCWorld and another good read about Malicious QR's

Tips for Quick Response Safety
(excerpts from PCWorld-Aus)

• Never implicitly trust any QR code. Be suspicious and alert when you go to use it.

• Make sure you have security software installed on your mobile device. The vast majority of smartphone, tablet and e-reader users currently do not have any security software installed. Yet these devices can be even more susceptible to malicious attacks by cyber criminals. Free and paid security software solutions, like AVG Mobilation for Android, are available for most device platforms.

• If QR code takes you to a web page which asks you to provide your user name, password, bank account details, and/or credit card details, then the person behind the web page is either a thief or an idiot! So don't provide those details to them.

• If a QR code takes you to a web page where you need to login, then don’t login. Instead, go directly to the web page by putting the correct URL into your browser address bar, or via some other trusted means. Doing this means you are much less likely to fall victim to a phishing scam.

“Our surveys show that the majority of people aren’t even password protecting their smartphone and tablet devices,” said Borrett. “Yet they need to be doing much more, including installing a good security solution like AVG Mobilation for Android. Then they will have protection in place that will check apps and web site content for malware should they be tricked into using a malicious QR code.”

I really don't think my post is for you. You have warned everyone. Thank you. I won't be replying to anymore of your posts as you are not really the intended audience.

I'm sorry you feel that way! Please let me know when the honey moon phase and coolness factor of QR codes has faded. That way we can correspond in an adult manner. This 'I won't be replying to anymore of your post as you are not really the intended audience" is just infantile. There is a HUGE flaw in QR's that you are not willing to admit or at least make yourself and others aware of!

Exactly who is your intended audience? If anything I have a better grasp of QR coding then most. I've used it in a 'Big Brother' kind of way. I would design flyers for my clients w/ QR's. I would be able to tell the demographics (city, gender, aprox age, computer/phone, OS, browser, what page they visited and what page they left, etc.). How? With scripting on a website and Google Analytics.

So I am well aware of the powers of QR's... watch this video and see how easily this guy cloned a site with login and password and used QR's... not that far fetch to clone PayPal login page... is it? So before you decide to take your ball home... do a little reading on some of the links I posted... after all it is not I who solicited 'any advice' on a public forum about QR's.

heres a question? most new high end Android phones are coming with NFC payment systems built in. Mine has it. Why not just use that?

thanks for all the info, folks. I don't understand 1/2 of it.

For my situation, at a farmers market, I can totally multi-task multiple customers with discussion, picking another's order and making change all at once (with no cash register). I feel I'd be hard pressed to use a card reader to process payments in that type of scenario where it would take minutes and dedicated attention to process the transaction.

Upcoming events are a little different.
I need something for use at trade shows/fiery food shows. It will still be busy, and I'll still need to engage the customer, but I think the crowd is more tech-savvy than the FM crowd in our town. And I hope to have my son doing cashier duties as his (idiot customer) tolerance only lasts so long.

I guess I need to research PP-v-Square-v-QB.

I guess I need to research PP-v-Square-v-QB.

Best advice is to speak to your bank. They will have merchant gateways. I know Wells Fargo offers PayPal and Authorize.net. My clients usually goes with Authorize because it works with Quickbooks and also the funds get into your bank account quicker. Cons about it is there is an up front cost. PayPal is a great way to start out as far as it being low cost. Cons. funds can take longer to be transferred into your account... unless you have a PayPal CC. They both offer the CC swiper for an additional cost.

Quick note on Authorize.net... they allow resellers so you can shop around for the best deals.

heres a question? most new high end Android phones are coming with NFC payment systems built in. Mine has it. Why not just use that?

From a broader prospective than garage sales and farmer's markets, less than 10% of mobile devices have NFC and so it needs to reach a critical mass before you will see much investment from the merchant side. I have seen places with NFC enabled terminals and people do use them. Typically with a fob. I think a mobile device adds a level of security and ease. Most the time there is a limit on how much can charge with a fob.With a mobile device you can charge more because you can confirm the payment. Something you can't do with a fob. Even with NFC a person has to link a payment platform with the NFC in their device. It requires pre-work.

In my opinion NFC is stuck in a catch-22. People won't bother setting up payments on their phones and using them because merchants won't invest in NFC terminals. Merchants won't invest in NFC terminals because people don't use their phones to pay. There are other alternatives that don't require the linking of payments to NFC or expensive terminals. We have jacks, wifi, bluetooth and cameras that can all transmit data between consumer and seller. The tech is cheap too.

Now back to the case of Garage Sales and Farmer's markets. If you have the equiptment to accept NFC payments then I would certainly use it. Most people don't. What I tried to show was a virtually free way to provide ANOTHER mode of payment for sellers who don't want to make a serious commitment. I think if someone is a little creative they can take what I showed and tweak it to fit their needs. An example would be a feed store texting a payment link to a consumer who asked if they could deliver some feed. Or provide a recipe with an order button for spice. Why wait for NFC when you have so many low cost options now.

I have read articles that say NFC is going away and others that say it is growing. I really don't know.

Back