How to get someone to pay via phone at garage sales and farmer's market

Here's a pretty good breakdown of the top 6 mobile payment programs, including a couple not previously mentioned. It's a couple months old, some details might have changed.

http://www.inc.com/maeghan-ouimet/mobile-payments-key-players.html

Since PP and Square are both free, I think I'm going to get both. I use PP alot and have all that in place including cc payments. Square works with a tablet, and that will be a good feature for use at the convention.

Just my dos peso's.

Face to face-----cash.

Anything else has a taxable record. :shh:

Though, of course, everyone reports and pays due taxes.

Just sayin.........

well of COURSE!!!! I couldn't imagine someone doing a cash deal and not paying taxes on it! :rolleyes:

I've been using Square at the Farmer's Markets for 6 months now. I love it. It's quick, painless, and because it's a Visa co-owned product there's a high level of trust in it from my customers - a very important consideration.

It also has some cool features like photographing the product for the receipt, and the ability to text or email the receipt to the customer.

So far the only issue I've ever had is that after a couple hundred swipes (or if you mistreat the little guy) it will then take multiple swipes to charge, which is scary for the customer. "did you just charge me 5 times?" This is curtailed by ordering several Square dongles. They're free & they will send you as many as you want.
:)

Square is also one of the least expensive ones to use - I think it's 2.6 or 2.8% or something.

if anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.

Just my dos peso's.

Face to face-----cash.

Just sayin.........

I just had to do my state tax thang - 1st time. What a PITA that was. I sold like 10 t-shirts and of course, those are taxable. I sold LOTS of hot sauce, which is non-taxable for sales tax. I had to list out all of everthing that was both taxable and nontaxable - it took me like an hour. I owed something like $11
:doh:

A good cpa should have no problem with Section 179 deductions for fees paid for CC use.
So even if the charge seems a bit excessive for the new breed of portable card readers, the yearly bottom line shouldn't change much (after taxes are filed) and the convienience of using them may foster more sales.

Standard disclaimer---blahblahblah seek the advice of a qualified professional blahblahblah. ;)

LDHS, that's good to know you can get more danglies if needed. And I'm guessing you haven't done a full on Sch C for the IRS yet???? State forms ar nutin compared to that $#it. Anyway, not that it matters that much, but how long do you think it takes you to process a transaction?

Gotrox, :lol:...yea CPA..disclaimer...etc... I hear ya. CC and bank fees are deductible. It still needs to be factored in to the cost of doing business. I think Square is at 2.75% and PP is 2.7%. Don't quote me on that!!! I've looked at a lot of %%%%% lateley and very easily could have gotten them mixed up.

All of these prices are still right there for what we were getting charged eons ago in the restaurant for cc transactions with a card terminal. I think it was 2.3-2.5% for cc transactions in the small cafe where I worked back in the Stone Ages (or at least that's what my son calls the 1990's) . :rolleyes:

We have found that the Intuit GoPayment system works GREAT for hands on in person transactions....Quick, easy, your customer signs your phone screen for signature confirm, and it sends an email or text receipt to your customer. Allows for quick product shortcuts too (this is great so you dont have to enter a dollar and cents amount for each thing u sell...just quick clicks on your phone screen of pre-programmed amounts for each product)...

just my Dos Pesos :)

Dale Jr

I guess I'm going to have to join this century and get a smartphone that has these capabilities.

Although I currently don't sell anything pepper related (soon though ;) ) I do have 2 online stores which use Google Wallet, and once you have a merchant acct setup with them it's another great way to to sell your products/wares. Just read they have a APP for that.
All major cc's accepted and paypal is a option too, it also has a shipping matrix that once set up is very beneficial to customers. There is NO CHARGE to list and you only pay when your product is sold (can sit for years) and max charge is roughly 3% by Goggle Wallet.
Monthly SalesThroughGoogleCheckout FeesTransaction
Less than $3,000 2.9% + $0.30
$3,000 - $9,999.99 2.5% + $0.30
$10,000 - $99,999.99 2.2% + $0.30
$100,000 or more 1.9% + $0.30

I can set up a new product in moments along with images (for free) ...an example, I was doing a yard sale and had a commercial saw dust collecting system that a guy wanted to buy but he didn't have the cash needed for it. I was able to create a listing within a minute and he was able to charge it to a card, he was happy, I was happy...his wife, not so much hahaha. ... and if need be you can get a card reader and software to accept directly without inputting the card info manually.... and of course this all over a secure server.
...and the site in question is: I don't not have any stake in this place but it can be a great resource for sellers/buyers.
Hope this helps some folks.

Thanks for that info OhioHeat. Sounds like another good option to consider.

I hate per-transaction charges. It's why that one was eliminated as a candidate when I was looking for a mobile payment solution.

If you're selling items that cost $100, $0.30 isn't much.But with a $5 bottle of sauce you're paying 6% on top of 2.9%, and 9% is more of my money than I'm willing to give any payment system. Per-transaction fees are fine if you're in the car business. Selling lots of small items it's just way too much.

Square is 2.8% flat. No per-transaction fee. I can live with giving them $0.15/$5 transaction. I refuse to give them $0.45/$5 transaction.

Google's model seems like a rip off for small-item sellers (like hot sauce folks) - at least until I can sell $100K worth of hot sauce (and in that case, the $0.30 is more insulting than anything) ;)

My $0.02 as someone who evaluated all of the options.

LDHS
I'd have to agree that when selling smaller ticket items that .30 + 2.9 can add up quick to the bottom line.
I primarily use ecrater as a "ok, I didn't see it right away but it doesn't cost me anything to have it there and if I sell it through there so much the better." I never pay for items that are there in virtual storage and I only buy at auctions where I get the best deals.
Off hand I think I have 3-5 items under $5 then $20s & up to $180 and profit margin is good enough I can live with it.
I'll still checkout the Square as I thought when they 1st came out they had a different price scheldule and my umm cheap-butt hasn't bought a phone that can handle the apps... :confused:

Ohioheat

I found out the hard way about the .30 per transaction fee when we were sending out prototypes of Pure Evil. People paid $5 to cover shipping and bottle/packaging costs, that didn't even cover product cost, but I knew that....and then paypal took .30 each plus the %...... :ouch:

Back