• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

how to make pepper extract

Davetaylor said:
so vodka and pods 2 thing i like!
It sounds easy enough, just like making chilli vodka then taking it one step further, i think i can see my self trying this, just for something to do over the winter!
The whole process depends on soaking/agitating the pulp/alcohol mixture long enough to cause most of the plant oils to become mixed into solution. Pressing the plant matter afterwards will get most of it out also. Filtering it through a coffee filter after this is done will remove most of the solids.

Using a one sided razor to scrape the glass dish after the evaporation is complete is the easiest method I've found to gather the extract.

Good luck man! Let us see some pics of your results.

Very informative once again Nat, thankyou! You mention the use of pvc as the "chamber" for extraction, this should not be done under any circumstances. The pvc will become brittle from the sub-zero temperatures produced by the Butane, i have made mine from Polyethelyne to avoid that problem.
I am not trying to argue that what i do is safe and i would not recommend anyone else do it either! In my home town i know of a guy that blew his house up trying to extract thc, his missus came home and lit a smoke!

Novacastrian said:
Very informative once again Nat, thankyou! You mention the use of pvc as the "chamber" for extraction, this should not be done under any circumstances. The pvc will become brittle from the sub-zero temperatures produced by the Butane, i have made mine from Polyethelyne to avoid that problem.
I am not trying to argue that what i do is safe and i would not recommend anyone else do it either! In my home town i know of a guy that blew his house up trying to extract thc, his missus came home and lit a smoke!
Please don't thank me for anything that may help you do what you're contemplating. I think you're nuts for even trying it.

I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone else to follow your example.

Here in the USA, a person can get as much as 25 years in prison for doing what you suggest.

NatGreenMeds said:
Please don't thank me for anything that may help you do what you're contemplating. I think you're nuts for even trying it.

I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone else to follow your example.

Here in the USA, a person can get as much as 25 years in prison for doing what you suggest.

For a start Nat i didn't "suggest" that anyone do what i wrote about, quite the opposite.
Now can you explain how one could recieve a 25 year custodial sentence for doing this, i thought that it was three strikes and your out kind of thing in the states.
I must agree with you on one aspect though- i do belive that i am nuts!:rolleyes:

Novacastrian said:
For a start Nat i didn't "suggest" that anyone do what i wrote about, quite the opposite.
Now can you explain how one could recieve a 25 year custodial sentence for doing this, i thought that it was three strikes and your out kind of thing in the states.
I must agree with you on one aspect though- i do belive that i am nuts!:rolleyes:
When marijuana is modified to extract a more concentrated form of thc, the law is much, much harsher. Discussion of marijuana here on a hot pepper group is pretty much out of place I think. You are correct in one way; The sentencing for the processing of extracted thc becomes more harsh on the second time around. It can carry up to 30 years in prison and on the third offence, it can be a life sentence with no parol.

Hot peppers. Hot peppers.

What ya say we talk about Hot peppers?

I think the next harvest of Orange Habs I get, I will try the extract method with the vodka...just a thought, I have a liter bottle of everclear (95% grain alcohol)...that should work better than the vodka shouldn't it?

AlabamaJack said:
I think the next harvest of Orange Habs I get, I will try the extract method with the vodka...just a thought, I have a liter bottle of everclear (95% grain alcohol)...that should work better than the vodka shouldn't it?
Sure, but you have to follow an exact method of preparation:

1. Take a sip of the everclear

2. Chop peppers

3. Take sip of everclear

4. Process pepper/everclear mixture until liquefied

5. Have another sip of everclear while watching blender

6. Put into clean jar and put into fridge.

7. One more sip of everclear couldn't hurt, could it?

8. Put lampshade on head and strip to shorts

9. Run around house making weird noises

10. Next day: Deny everything.

I went to a music festival this past spring and made Texas Tea...sweet tea with fresh squeezed limons...started drinking it about 2 in the afternoon and went down about 7 that evening...missed the whole first night of campfire pickin' and didn't remember anything past about 5 pm...once a year is enough for me...but I like the way you think Nat...

I really like this extract process...seems easy, doable, and fairly safe (as long as I stay away from the everclear... :lol:

AlabamaJack said:
I really like this extract process...seems easy, doable, and fairly safe (as long as I stay away from the everclear... :lol:
I'm eagerly awaiting your results. It would be a fine way to store large amounts of pepper oils if you have way too many peppers to use in regular recipes or if you just wanted to heat up your sauces more with less bulk.

God help you if you get it on you.....WARNING...WARNING...Will Robinson!!!!

Remember the "Model B-9, Class M-3 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot" in "Lost in Space"?

remember it, that is one of the reasons I became a mechanical engineer...heck 20 years ago I couldn't even spell engineer now I are one... :lol:

AlabamaJack said:
remember it, that is one of the reasons I became a mechanical engineer...heck 20 years ago I couldn't even spell engineer now I are one... :lol:
hehe, I hear you man. Back in those days, I would watch that show and marvel at the things that the computers and the robot could do. It set my mind to all the "What If's" and my interest in automated tasking continued. Now I build programs that assist Engineers automate recurring tasks. Who'd figger?

It sounds like you and I went to different schools together.

it'll be the vodka method for me as i'm finding it a bit awkward to get grain alcohol which i know is the best option as it will evaporate quicker than vodka

they don't sell everclear where you live?...

AlabamaJack said:
they don't sell everclear where you live?...
From another group: "Everclear comes in two strengths: 190 proof which is not legal to buy here in California and 151 proof which is available everywhere. I'm not sure what the difference between the 151 proof everclear and 151 proof grain vodka is and there's no big difference in price."

I'll have to call a couple of different liquer stores and see if I can find the 151 proof one.

I believe the problem with simple alcohol extracts is that you're extracting more than pure cap and you get a lot of sugars and other unwanted stuff. I also think you should start with dry peppers to avoid having water dilute the process.

Found a place online that sells and ships Everclear 190. So you won't have to search for the same things I just did, here's the information I found:

ShopRite Wines & Liquors of Chester
Email us or call us 908.879.5352
120 US 206 South, Chester, NJ, 07930

The following state-by-state list of shipping provisions and carriers is provided as a tool to better understand who ships where for wineries to consumers; it should not be considered as legal advice. If you have questions regarding the legality of shipping to certain states, please call Wine Institute's State Relations Department at (415)356-7530.

PDF file referred to above

SHIPPING INFO

You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase wine. By placing your order you have represented to ShopRite Wines & Liquors of Chester that you are at least 21. All wines delivered must be received by an adult of legal drinking age.

Our trucks make local deliveries within a 20 miles radius of the store for orders over $100. These orders are subject to a shipping and handling charge of $15. We use common carriers for all other deliveries. Orders will be prepared for shipment or delivery within 48 hours of receiving your order.

An email will immediately acknowledge receipt of your order, while a second email will confirm your order has been processed and is prepared for shipment. We will contact you by the end of the next business day if there is any problem with your order. While we make every effort to show accurate product listings on our website, ShopRite Wines & Liquors of Chester is not responsible for typographical, pricing errors, and omissions. Thank you for your understanding.
Please note that your shipping costs are estimated. Actual costs will be confirmed with you when your order is placed.

For orders shipped using FedEx Express 2nd Day and Overnight services there is a 3:00pm (Eastern Time Zone) cut-off time to ship your order the same day.
Many states restrict the shipment of wine. Please accept our apologies if we are unable to ship to your area. We cannot ship to the following states: Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington. For more information on state laws concerning shipments of alcohol, visit: http://www.wineinstitute.org/shipwine

POTAWIE said:
I believe the problem with simple alcohol extracts is that you're extracting more than pure cap and you get a lot of sugars and other unwanted stuff. I also think you should start with dry peppers to avoid having water dilute the process.

Dried peppers is a great idea Potawie...as long as I don't get a metallic taste, I will be ok...I hate that metallic taste...like i have a piece of aluminum foil in my mouth trying to keep it from touching my fillings...

AlabamaJack said:
Dried peppers is a great idea Potawie...as long as I don't get a metallic taste, I will be ok...I hate that metallic taste...like i have a piece of aluminum foil in my mouth trying to keep it from touching my fillings...
That made my teeth hurt from just reading it and that's a trick. I have dentures! I remember that feeling though. Makes my back tighten up.hehe

Soaking the peppers long enough for them to become hydrated may take as long as allowing the water to evaporate after processing. Everything I've read says to let peppers sit in the alcohol for at least 24 hours to hydrate. After extracting from fresh masticated peppers, the evaporation of the alcohol and water could be accelerated by using a shallow glass dish and a fan. I would strongly suggest doing this outside where the smell wouldn't be a problem.

NatGreenMeds said:
Soaking the peppers long enough for them to become hydrated may take as long as allowing the water to evaporate after processing. Everything I've read says to let peppers sit in the alcohol for at least 24 hours to hydrate. After extracting from fresh masticated peppers, the evaporation of the alcohol and water could be accelerated by using a shallow glass dish and a fan. I would strongly suggest doing this outside where the smell wouldn't be a problem.

I've always heard that using dehydrated is better, and I know that's how the Creator and others makes their extracts

Hope you don't mind me stealing an old quote creator
DEFCON Creator said:
I don't know the exact specifics when using fresh habbies, because of the massive amount of extraneous fluids you have to deal with. It's sooooo much easier using dried, and will reach your result with a lot less work. I have a feeling using fresh will yield a substance that will be a bit cloudy, and reducing out the cloudiness too much may result in burning the final product (man, better have a biosuit with external air source if that happens!), but if done correctly, it should have a distinct taste, sans the lovely ketone backwash we've all grown to detest.

Back