• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

How to preserve peppers in oil?

YAMracer754 said:
Did you add ground and dried aleppo or fresh peppers?
Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
The recipe is peeled, roasted fresh sweet peppers, preserved & hot water bath canned in a brine/pickle that has flaked Aleppo as one of the ingredients.

nmlarson said:
The recipe is peeled, roasted fresh sweet peppers, preserved & hot water bath canned in a brine/pickle that has flaked Aleppo as one of the ingredients.
NOICE! yeah that sounds good! Did you enjoy them? I would love to have that cookbook looks like a great read!

Jeffcontonio said:
When I was younger my Italian grandfather always had a jar of hot peppers in oil. I loved the flavor, but have not found the same stuff he used to buy. It's been maybe 30 years since I've even seen it.

I'd like to try to make my own but everything I read suggests that this is not safe.(botulism) But this was a purchased good so I'm inclined to believe it can be done safely.

What is the trick to preserving peppers in oil? Is it about pickling them first then transferring it to oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i buddy of mine used to stuff hot cherry peppers with prosciutto and mozzarella and pack into jars with olive oil and refrigerate. these were not kept long term and were not hot bath processed. long term shelf storage is different. a quick search on amazon shows peppers packed in oil with some being stuffed with various things and some not stuffed.   

edit to add: you could try making them yourself but using them quickly or you could buy them store bought and see if you can find something similar you the ones you had with your grandfather. let us know if you find what you are looking for.

YAMracer754 said:
NOICE! yeah that sounds good! Did you enjoy them? I would love to have that cookbook looks like a great read!
They are soooooo good. I even use the marinade on sammies, as a condiment for grilled chicken & pork, sometimes it gets drizzled over antipasto. They've even ended up in a quick pasta with some tuna, along with the oil. I never make enough and usually end up making a few jars in early spring. They don't last long in our house.

You making them with frozen peppers ever? I smoked (peach/pecan) a bunch peppers that got kinda charred lasnite and there's aleppo's Chipotles Pueblos red Caribbean Habs, and bad brains that got the char and peeled some of the skins but might be too smoky for this recipe...? I have tons of fresh Pueblo chiles on a plant that could perform this purpose. Any roasting? Still not sure what to do with this oil..
nmlarson said:
They are soooooo good. I even use the marinade on sammies, as a condiment for grilled chicken & pork, sometimes it gets drizzled over antipasto. They've even ended up in a quick pasta with some tuna, along with the oil. I never make enough and usually end up making a few jars in early spring. They don't last long in our house.
b538f417d33db10f5d256df5607280e1.jpg

YAMracer754 said:
I've not used frozen & thawed peppers in this recipe, only roasted. As for trying your other pepper varieties, hey, go for it! I believe smoked would be great! What have you got to lose?

Is the "oil" from my recipe? If it is, stick to the recipe and don't let them sit on the shelf for 2 years. I've found they go rancid in about 6 months.

And, as there's oil in the recipe, you need to pay close attention to your sanitation procedures and make certain the jar openings are SPOTLESS! Wipe them with vinegar if you need to for spotless rims and successful seals.

nmlarson said:
I've not used frozen & thawed peppers in this recipe, only roasted. As for trying your other pepper varieties, hey, go for it! I believe smoked would be great! What have you got to lose?

Is the "oil" from my recipe? If it is, stick to the recipe and don't let them sit on the shelf for 2 years. I've found they go rancid in about 6 months.

And, as there's oil in the recipe, you need to pay close attention to your sanitation procedures and make certain the jar openings are SPOTLESS! Wipe them with vinegar if you need to for spotless rims and successful seals.
Was trying to make an infused oil last night before doing enough research and food processed the peppers after cleaning/seeding, added some salt to them, then poured hot oil over them from microwave. Left in oven overnight in bowl. Am I screwed with having fresh peppers instead of dehydrated and leaving out for 16hrs to marinate? Thinking they will probably ferment at room temperature.. Ntm all this heightened fear of everyone talking risk of botulism with these oils!

nmlarson said:
I would not try to preserve these peppers for any long-term storage (i.e., outside of refrigeration) in any way. Jar them up, put them in the fridge, and use them ASAP.
Just to be clear your talking about my oil infusion accident, as the marinated peppers recipe is canned..

You create a blend with an oil that does not solidify. Fractioned coconut oil, or MCT oil, does not solidify until the freezing point so you can mix it into olive oil, sesame oil, whatever your choice, and FCO is flavorless so it works out great. I was going to do an experiment on how much you need.

Funnily enough ShomeMeDaSauce just basically posted the same idea here, but uses rice bran oil. Good to know!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Use a 50/50 mix of peanut oil and rice bran oil. You can use straight peanut oil but it will setup in the fridge

Season the oil first with other spices and the white part of green onions. Strain out the spices/onion and allow the oil to cool just slightly.

Slowly poor the oil into your pepper flakes. It needs to be just hot enough for them to sizzle a little. You can add other things to the flakes like sesame seeds, fermented black beans and fried garlic too but be careful with the garlic. Its burns easily.

G0Q2yED.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
You create a blend with an oil that does not solidify. Fractioned coconut oil, or MCT oil, does not solidify until the freezing point so you can mix it into olive oil, sesame oil, whatever your choice, and FCO is flavorless so it works out great. I was going to do an experiment on how much you need.

Funnily enough ShomeMeDaSauce just basically posted the same idea here, but uses rice bran oil. Good to know!
Great to know! What is MCT?

Medium Chain Triglycerides, they are fractioned from the oil for health benefits.

I can put my homemade in the fridge with 100% peanut oil and its turns to pepper butter. The jar of LoaGanMa right next to it is fine. Rice bran oil is very neutral and a very healthy oil. Ive made salad dressing with it and it still pours cold. Riceland sells gallons of it for around $25 shipped. Cables has it in stock sometimes cheaper but you need to buy 3 gallons at a time. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Riceland-Rice-Bran-Frying-Oil-Three-Gallon/1920392.uts

They have a Amazon store also. $18/gal shipped free with Amazon Prime https://www.amazon.com/1-gallon-Rice-Bran-Oil/dp/B079MJ9B14/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1539976396&sr=8-5&keywords=rice+bran+oil&dpID=41dmGDtVxeL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thats a good price compared to the Gamma One brand i get locally at $10 for 2 liters.

YAMracer754 said:
Just to be clear your talking about my oil infusion accident, as the marinated peppers recipe is canned..

That's correct.  Whenever canning anything, follow a proven recipe.

I got it kitty Kat sexy now. Boiled it and totally infused and incorporated the peppers in the oil existing, took a well planned assortment of dried chiles and flaked em, along with garlic and onion, and did the jig with the previous boiling oil poured onto the new ingredients and cooked off the h20 after straining the fresh peppers off-then pressure canning. Looks pretty,,!
nmlarson said:

That's correct.  Whenever canning anything, follow a proven recipe.
It's starting to cloud :-/ after several hrs

Edit: noticed today the one bottle I didn't add fresh garlic to at the end before pressure canning was clear and stays viscous so it must have added moisture/content from the garlic I'm guessing..
72d73b77b8ec6f1d8e38cc4619d07441.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Try Maesri fried garlic. It has 2 ingredients. Garlic and soy bean oil. Just dont put it in really hot oil. Let it cool a little first. The stuff is fairly cheap at Asian markets. Other brands may use palm oil.

81H3dTwfr%2BL._SY679_.jpg
That look pretty easy to replicate, no?

MikeUSMC said:
Straight from the National Center for Home Food Preservation

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/marinated_peppers.html

AFAIK, this is one of the ONLY safe recipes for canning peppers in oil, and it has a VERY strict oil:acid (lemon juice) ratio. I highly suggest NOT deviating from this recipe at all!

Hope that helps
:cheers:

I stumbled over this thread then Mikes post above & it reminded me of a site I thought I'd share where I learned of that recipe.

First are the disclaimers, and there are many: 

1. This site is ancient! Posted there is the below disclaimer:
This Page is an outdated, user-generated website brought to you by an archive.It was mirrored from Geocities at the end of October, 2009.
For any questions concerning this page try to contact the respective author. (To report any malicious content send the URL to oocities(at gmail dot com). For question about the archive visit: OoCities.org.

I don't believe the original owners have been there since 2001: Pepper Fool

2. Many of the posters are icons from the early days of hot peppers, read that as around the time Red Savina was recognized as the world's hottest pepper. I will fill in a little background in future posts.

3. Many of the recipes are not PROVEN safe. ◄ DID YOU READ THAT???

4. I have used the recipe below many times and I'm still alive. And there have been thousands of passed down recipes from someones MeMa that has been used since the 1700's. But we never hear about the cases of botulism while someone is bragging about how safe Nonna's oil preserved peppers are.

Oil Packed Peppers

2 c Hot peppers, any kind
Olive oil, extra virgin
1 Garlic clove, chopped (opt)
1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar

Hot tomales!!! Turn them into hot pimentos. Split and remove seeds and veins and stems, Saute' with garlic in extra virgin olive oil until tenter but not brown, pack still hot peppers tightly into jar leaving 1/2 inch headroom. Meanwhile heat 1 cup E V olive oil in sauce pan to 300 degrees, using a pointed knife pierce a hole down the center of the peppers to the bottom of the jar, pour the hot oil into this hole a little at a time to avoid boil over, fill the jar to 1/4 inch from the top slowly. Wipe the jar top and sides with a paper towel and apply the cap tightly. No further processing is needed. The jarred product is shelf stable (check for the requisite depressed lid). Be sure to sterilize the lid at the very least, the hot oil will sterilize the jar and peppers. CAUTION!
Herbs and oils are both low-acid and together could support the growth of the disease-causing Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Oils may be flavored with herbs if they are made up for fresh use, stored in the refrigerator and used within 2 to 3 days. There are no canning recommendations. Fresh herbs must be washed well and dried completely before storing in the oil. The very best sanitation and personal hygiene practices must be used. 

* Many folks grew up on canned peppers in oil (Notabaly Mediterranean locals), and have experienced few/no problems eating peppers canned in oil with fresh garlic. This does not mean however that it is a safe practice.

Posted By: ???
Post Date: ???

I used Refined Safflower Oil for it's higher smoke point thereby raising temp of oil to 400°F before pouring in jar (Read that as higher temp-better bacterium killer.

I've done this two ways:
1. Saute peppers as above with garlic in olive oil then stuff jars then pour hot oil in.
2. Put sliced peppers and garlic in jars and pour hot oil in jars.

I used mostly Serrano's to make this as I grew plenty back then. POUR HOT OIL IN SLOWLY AS THE PEPPERS WILL BOIL OVER AS THE LIQUID THEY CONTAIN DOES THIS.

YMMV
NECM

PS... Mikes recipe can be found here & here.... It's the only safe recipe in oil I know of.

Back