• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

consistency How to thicken a sauce?

there are some specialty modified cornstarch thickeners that will thicken without added heat..   some of the brand names.   instant clear jel( regular clear jel needs heat to thicken) , ultra Gel , Ultra sperse.  They are also  fairly stable  with acidic applications( normal cornstarch can run into problems)  and impart little to no colour or flavour. 

i use xanthan in all my sauces. it will thicken quickly, use very little at a time. does not need to be heated to activate like cornstarch, gives a shiny appearance and no flavor. 

brownb4 said:
i use xanthan in all my sauces. it will thicken quickly, use very little at a time. does not need to be heated to activate like cornstarch, gives a shiny appearance and no flavor. 

How do you add it? Mix in a bit of water and then stir in?

If you are looking to preserve the "probiotic" nature of it, and want to avoid heat............

Cook some peeled, cored apples and carrots til SOFT.

Let them cool

Add your ferment to a GOOD blender (I use a vitamix)

Turn switch to super-fast-crazy-turbo speed

Incrementally add some carrots and apples and WHIRL like crazy

This will mechanically emulsify it!

SMOOOOOOTH and as thick or thin as you want it!!

A link to one that I thickened in this manner...
http://s73.photobucket.com/user/bigdonniebrasco/media/creeper_zps66d7ff32.mp4.html
* you're welcome

portveyn said:

How do you add it? Mix in a bit of water and then stir in?
i have mixed with water first, like making a slurry and then stirred in. i have found by adding it to the last blend in the blender it comes out smoother. xanthan will clump and it is hard to get out with just stirring. you can find it pretty cheap now with all the gluten free sections in the grocery store. bobs redmill and hodgeson mill have it. i found some small 1/2 oz packets in wally world for 59 cents. i would practice on plain water with stirring and blending and see if you get the results you like before risking an entire batch of sauce

There are several root vegetables that can give a sauce a smooth and thicker consistency. As Kat mentioned above with Apple and Carrot. I have also used carrots by them selves. Other things to try would be;

Sweet Potato
Taro
Yucca
Plantain
Cassava 

portveyn said:
How would you guys thicken a fermented sauce without boiling it?
The easiest method is to strain the excess liquid and puree...

But if your thinking of bottling a batch and you want the same consistency of pour from an unopened bottle six months later, then you may want to add a stabilizer and one for suspension. Most Guar/Tic gums are ph tolerant on the low end and are pre-hydrated and do not need to be heated to activate. The Guar will thicken a loose sauce and give the mouth feel to the product. Xanthan works great when suspension and sheen are needed are needed especially in the thin clear fruit juice or vinegar based sauces.
I use Ticaxan Rapid 3 (for the smooth pour and suspension) and a Tic Gum for thickening. Both products and be activated either hot or cold. I do use a Vitamix and add the powder into a high rpm vortex, usually takes around 4 minutes to disolve and smooth. Although not inexpensive, both products do the trick, especially for the serious sauce maker.

Interesting thing about Xanthan gum.  Xanthan gum reacts the opposite of Corn Starch to agitation.  Look up Non-newtonian fluid on youtube for some cool videos if you are unfamiliar with what I am talking about.  The short of it:  At the right ratios, a cornstarch preparation will stiffen up with agitation, whereas xanthan gum loosens up.  Xanthan gum stiffens back up as soon as it rests, though, which is why it is used in a lot of salad dressing recipes (shake the bottle to loosen, then the dressing sticks to the salad once it stops moving).

Also, Xanthan gum is the dehydrated glycocalyx (slime layer) of a species of Xanthomonas bacteria :)

Back