• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds HP22B Germination ??

this mornin i found anoter C.R. that popped..temp right now is @ 82-83 F. @9 :08 A.M...thru out the day it will get hotter proly up to 85 and up. sowed seeds in about 1/4 into the soil..

Everyone make sure to pre-soak your seeds especially if planting straight in soil. I got 100% germ rate with temps between 90-92F with the baggie method. It shouldnt matter but I ordered mine straight from Ed not PepperJoe.

For usual seeds I usually soak overnight in a mix of 1/4 cup H2O2 and one cup brewed chammomile tea into a quart of water. Haven't tried it with the CR seeds yet, but worked pretty well on the others.

For usual seeds I usually soak overnight in a mix of 1/4 cup H2O2 and one cup brewed chammomile tea into a quart of water. Haven't tried it with the CR seeds yet, but worked pretty well on the others.
What percent solution of H2O2?

Use 3%.... Mostly to kill pathogens. 33% if you are going for the bleach blonde 80's look

Sorry, yes, the 3% solution.

I started 9 in rapid rooters on the 29th and 6 have sprouted. I don't soak my seeds before I start them.

How do you like these? I picked some up the other day. I think I'm going to try a little experiment this weekend. Rapid Rooters vs. Organic starter mix vs. paper towel/water. So far in this thread your rapid rooters have germed pretty well.

As of now 8:37 p.m...9/19/12. temp is @80 deg.F and 8/15 have popped so far... maybe ill give the soakin of the seeds a try the next time...

Edit: yesterday the temp was at the low 80's due to it raning all day..same as today..

C1B5CE0C-B46E-4FC6-A307-DDDEF044DF61-24094-000009FD2382BCC6_zps9fd8b4aa.jpg

1/5 in aerogarden sowed8/30... this is how it looks now

0/10 no germimation rate. Bought mine the day they were released got two days later. One day of soaking. About 4 weeks. :(

0/10 no germimation rate. Bought mine the day they were released got two days later. One day of soaking. About 4 weeks. :(

4 weeks? may want to look at seed scarification. i think the seed radical can be scratched or rubbed with an abrasive to allow the hypocotly to come out. its common with plants that have super hard coatings that don't allow water to enter the seed readily.

edit: ahh i found that paper finally.
http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/72/1/146.full.pdf

When decoated pepper seeds were scarified by removing 0.5
mm of endosperm directly in front of the radicle, germination
rates increased dramatically at both 15'C and 250C (Table I). The
scarification treatment did not affect the total germination of
pepper seeds at 15°C or 25°C.
The force necessary to puncture the endosperm directly in front
of the radicle decreased with increasing incubation time at both
15°C and 25°C (Fig. 3). Endosperm resistance decreased more
rapidly when seeds were imbibed at 25°C versus 15°C. Puncture
force decreased to 0.3 newton at both 15°C and 25°C before
radicle protrusion occurred in a majority of the seeds.
At 25°C, GA treatment reduced endosperm resistance and

i thought i would let you guys know that i tried the scarification of a single HB22P that was going on 2 weeks with no germination... i simply scraped a bit off the radical area with a razor, and then pushed the tip of the blade into the seed and split radical opening slightly...

anyway i soaked it again and it swelled up and pushed out a root in less than 8 hours.

so yea, try the scarification, it defiantly works.

Back